Chapter 14

Kidnap Me Hyung

 

"Oh hey Jonghyun, what's up?" Taemin said. "Onew's still working, if you were looking for him."
Jonghyun shook his head. "I came to bring you to practice. They said if you didn't show up today, you're out of the show." 
"What? Why didn't Jongin tell me?" As he said these words, he was already searching in the closet for his dance bag, frantically pushing aside shoes and coats.
"Your parents have been watching him like a hawk. They even have people following him. He can't even text you for fear of them finding you." Taemin ran a hand threw his hair in distress. 
"It's that bad?"
"Yeah... Who are your parents?"
"I-They're no one. I'm just their only son, and as much as they hate me, they need me to continue the family business. That's all." 
"Are you sure they hate you? I've never seen parents who hate their children search for them so hard." The way he said that made Taemin suspect Jonghyun had experience of his own, but now wasn't the time for questions. 
"Yes, I'm sure. And before you ask," Taemin began, noticing the look on Jonghyun's face, "the reason I left is because we had a disagreement on my future. I'm sure you understand that." Jonghyun nodded, he understood all too well. 
"Do you need me to take you to practice?" 
"That would be great, thank you."
Taemin followed him out front to his car, and Jonghyun was surprised he didn't break the passenger door by how quickly he pulled it open and threw himself. 
"Hurry up hyung. We have no time to lose." Jonghyun agreed and went around to the other side, getting in just a bit less forceful than the dancer had, tires screeching as he peeled out of the parking spot and raced towards the studio.
Once there, Jonghyun turned down the alley beside it- Taemin was 90% sure that wasn't actually legal- and stopped the car behind the back wall. 
"Why are we back here?" Taemin asked, confused. 
"I'm not sure if your parents are here, so Jongin and I came up with a way to get you in unnoticed." 
"And what might that plan be exactly?" Jonghyun just smiled, and Taemin felt his stomach drop. This couldn't be good.
 
Yup. This was most definitely not good. Taemin stared out the window at the tiny ledge that ran the side of the building, then back at Jonghyun. The two were in the smaller practice room at the back of the studio, standing near the only window in the room. A window that Jonghyun apparently wanted to climb out of to get to the main studio.
"This is a joke right?" Taemin laughed nervously, because really, he might have liked doing extreme things, but wasn't this a bit too extreme?
"Come on Taemin, don't be a wimp. Look, it's not even that far down, besides, the ledge is wider than your tiny fairy feet, so it'll be fine." 
"I don't have tiny feet!" Taemin exclaimed, momentarily forgetting their purpose.
"Sure sure. Just climb."
"But-" 
"Do you want to be a dancer or not?" 
Taemin closed his mouth and looked out the window once more. Was he really going to do this?
"Just..make sure I don't fall okay." 
Yes. Yes he was.
Shaking slightly, he put the first leg out the window, and gripping the side tightly, he flung the other over. Once his body was fully outside, wind tugging at his hair and clothes, he took a deep breath and flattened himself against the wall, steeling himself for what was to happen next. 
Don't look down, he thought as he began inching his way towards the other window. 
It was maybe 20 feet away, but it seemed so much farther, as Taemin kept his eyes resolutely up and one hand extended, searching for the window edge. When his fingers brushed against the side of the window, Taemin sighed with relief and began carefully twisting and climbing inside, thanking whoever had decided to open the window. 
He dropped inside shakily, breathing heavy from exhilaration. It wasn't until he looked up did he notice that everyone was staring at him, shocked into silence by his sudden window appearance. 
"Uh.... Hi guys..." Taemin waved awkwardly.
"Taemin! Where the hell have you been?" Hyoyeon stomped over to him, looking equal parts angry and relieved. 
"Sorry noona. I've been sick for the past couple days, so I couldn't come in, but I'm better now. I won't miss practice again, I promise." 
Hyoyeon raised an eyebrow and scoffed in disbelief.
"So you were sick for two days, and decided to come in today through the window?"
Taemin gulped. "It was...for dramatic effect?" Hyoyeon shook her head. 
"Whatever you say kid. Just don't miss again, this is important, and if you want to stay, you better start working for it. Arasso?" 
Taemin nodded, thanking heavens he hadn't been kicked off.
"I understand noona. I won't let you down." 
"You better not." Then, she cracked a smile. "I'm glad you're back. Jongin has been a total pain without you here." 
"I'll fix that, don't worry." Taemin laughed and left to join the rest of the group, immediately starting his warm up stretches. 
Once the music started, Taemin felt it flow through his veins, washing away all his worries. The music was a part of him, no, he was a part of it, him the puppet and the music the puppeteer. Nothing else mattered anymore, there was nothing except the music and himself. Everything else faded away, aside from the occasional instruction and added dance move. 
It had only been two days since he'd been here last, but it felt like an eternity. This was his life, he realized. He couldn't leave it, doing so would be nearly the same as suicide. No matter what, he wouldn't let his parents take this from him, not again. Of course, that was easier said than done. His parents had proved all too well they were willing to do anything to ruin Taemin's life again.
Too soon, practice ended, and everyone began collecting their stuff and leaving. Taemin stood off to the side, already formulating a plan in his head for what he would do once he was alone.
"Don't even think about it." Jongin said, practically reading Taemin's mind. 
"What, I wasn't-" Taemin lied, cursing himself for being so predictable. 
"Don't lie, I know you too well, and don't stay late today. Your parents stay here everyday, they'll notice if someone leaves later." 
Taemin frowned. "I really need to work on this routine. I missed two days Jongin." 
"You'll miss everyday if your parents find you." Jongin pointed out, hating the crushed look on Taemin's face. It angered him to no end; he hated these people that were doing all they could to ruin his hyung's life. "Just go home with Jonghyun hyung, he'll sneak you out." Taemin nodded, looking like a kicked puppy. Jongin patted Taemin's shoulder reassuringly and walked out, leaving Taemin with Jonghyun. 
Turning to Jonghyun with a smile that didn't match his eyes, he spoke. 
"So, what's your plan for escaping?" He said lightly, trying his best to shake off the anger and disappointment gripping him.
"Same way you got in: the window." Taemin groaned and Taemin really hoped this didn't become an everyday thing. One could climb across the outside of a building only so many times before it became too much. 
Once again he climbed through the window, scaled the outside wall, before climbing back into the small practice room. It was easy from there, simply slipping through the door and they were in the dark alley once more. 
There was Jonghyun's sleek black car, waiting for them. 
"Let's go." Jonghyun said, resting one hand on Taemin's back and pushing him forward slightly. Taemin nodded and walked towards the car.
"Where is he?" Taemin froze, a familiar voice reaching his ears. It couldn't be. Jonghyun bumped into him from behind, nearly sending them both to the ground. 
"What's going on?" Jonghyun asked; Taemin frantically shushed him with his hands, and pointed down the alley. 
"I told you, he doesn't come here." Taemin heard Jongin say, as he snuck towards the alley opening.
"Stop lying you little . Where is my son?" Another voice, this one sickeningly sweet despite her words, replied. Taemin felt like he was going to throw up, the thought of them so close was absolutely terrifying. 
"How many times must I say this Mrs. Lee? Please refrain from using such offensive words. Especially when they aren't true." Jongin sounded calm and collected, although Taemin knew him well enough to sense the small tremble in his voice. 
"You little . How dare you talk to us that way." Taemin's father raged.
"I understand you're frustrated." Jongin said, beginning to lose his cool. "But I can't help you. Taemin refuses to contact me or anyone else, I have no idea where he is."
Taemin heard a slap, and lunged forward, unable to stand in the dark and let his friend get hurt for him, but was pulled back before he could reveal himself. 
"Let me go!" Taemin struggled against the invisible hold desperately.
"Taemin. Calm down. If you go out there, everything Jongin has done will go to waste." Jonghyun's soft voice whispered in his ear, and Taemin stopped trying to get away. Jonghyun was right, Jongin was doing this to protect him, and revealing himself now would no good for the younger. Wrapping an arm around the dancer, he led him back to the car, rubbing his arm to calm him down. 
In the car, Taemin kept his head down, not wanting Jonghyun to see his face. This was all too much, he thought, as Jonghyun started up the car and drove them back to Onew's. The ride was suffocatingly quiet, but Jonghyun didn't dare break it. No words would help the younger's mood at the moment. 
"We're here." He eventually announced, stopping the car in font of the shop. 
"Thanks hyung." Taemin said quietly, slinging his bag over his shoulder, and heading inside. 
As always, Onew immediately looked up, but his smile quickly faded as he took in the younger's defeated looking stance. 
"Excuse me ahjumma." He bowed, and ran over to Taemin. 
"Taemin, what's wrong? What happened? You just suddenly disappeared, I was so worried!" Taemin shook his head, fists tightening. Onew pulled Taemin into his arms and led him over to their table, sitting him down so they were facing each other.
"Taemin, please tell me what's wrong." Onew said, eyes full of worry and sincerity. He held Taemin in his arms, hating that he could feel the younger was trembling. 
Taemin bit his lip, looking up at Onew was sad, scared eyes.
"I saw them hyung." Taemin whispered, still shaking slightly in Onew's arms. 
"They were talking to Jongin. If it weren't for him and Jonghyun, they would have found me." The encounter had terrified Taemin more than he thought it would. It didn't seem to matter how long it had been, as soon as they appeared, Taemin felt 15 again. 
The worst part wasn't even the fear. The worst part was something he couldn't explain, not even to himself. The worst part was that... He almost wanted to go back. People may think he hated his parents for what they had done, for shutting him away and breaking him, but it wasn't true, not completely.
For most of his life, he'd looked up to them, been loved by them, even if they were sometimes a bit cold. He'd done whatever he could to be perfect for them, and even though he had ran away, he still wanted to be. He still wanted to show them he wasn't a failure of a son, there was still that small sliver of hope that they would accept him as he was. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't hate them. Not totally. 
And that's what scared him the most. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Things are getting interesting~
Also: from now until the end (or at least close to it) I have everything plotted- and a good portion written- out, so from now on updates should be quicker. Yay!
Don't hold me to that though, it all depends on how many extra classes my parents force me into to prepare for the ACT (right now, two, but my mom is trying to get me in another -_-) oh well!
I hope you liked this chapter, and get ready, some major stuff is about to happen~