Chapter 9

Kidnap Me Hyung

The two met back up at the ice cream shop, just as they had agreed. However,  when Taemin got there, Onew was merely sitting by the window, table void of ice cream.

"Hey." Taemin greeted, startling the barista.

"Oh, hi." Onew replied sheepishly. "I was going to order some ice cream for both of us, but I realized I don't know what you like." The words were a sore reminder of how little Onew knew about Taemin.  

What had they been talking about all this time? Onew was beginning to think he knew Jongin better than Taemin.

"Oh! That's okay, I don't mind. And banana's my favorite." Taemin grinned, while Onew filed that little bit of information away in his mind. Onew went up and placed the order, one banana, one strawberry, and handed the former to Taemin.

"Lets go, it's getting a bit crowded in here." Taemin said, making his way towards the door. The two wandered down the streets, ice cream in hand, stopping at various street carts to laugh or coo over something they saw. At a small cart selling socks, Taemin fawned over a pair of Jonghyun socks, quickly buying them, while Onew stood in the background, jealousy clouding his thoughts.

Stupid short freak. Onew pouted. Taemin happened to look up while Onew was mid-pout, and nearly melted at the adorable look upon the elder's face.

"Hyung~ what's wrong?" He asked cutely, using all his willpower to not poke Onew's squishy cheeks.

"Ah, nothing Taemin. Lets go." He grabbed Taemin's hand and  pulled Taemin away, before he could buy any more Jonghyun socks. Once out of view of the cart, Onew realized the situation. Looking down to see their clasped hands, he dropped Taemin's quickly, not noticing the light blush across Taemin's cheeks.

"Sorry." He mumbled.

"It's-it's okay." Taemin replied, willing his heart to calm.

Onew looked everywhere but at Taemin, trying desperately to avoid contact so the younger wouldn't see how red the man's face had become as well.

"Oh look! Why don't we look at that shop?" Onew pointed at a random stand, and Taemin nodded mutely. The two continued their previous action of walking and looking at things, anything, except each other, still too embarrassed by Onew's earlier action.

Aish why does my heart go crazy from such a simple touch?

At one point, Onew caught Taemin eyeing a small cat phone charm, and before the boy could stop him, Onew had already pulled out his wallet and payed for it.

"Hyung! You didn't have to do that." Taemin pouted.

"I wanted to." Taemin glared at him, only to be distracted moments later by another charm.

"Fine, then I'm buying you this one!" Taemin held up a small bunny charm, all the while grinning happily. The two attached their charms, Taemin having just barely gotten his on when Onew shoved his phone at Taemin.

"What are you doing?"

"Put your number in. That way I don't have to run across the city to talk to you." Onew tried to sound annoyed, but it merely came off as cute to the younger.

"Arasso." Taemin replied, entering his number and handing it back to the elder.

The two continued their stroll, with Onew asking questions the whole time.

"What's your favorite song?"

"Do you have any pets?"

"Have you ever been to the ocean?"

"Where do you live?"

Taemin laughed, although secretly confused about the elder's sudden interest in him.

"Jeez hyung, what is this, 20 questions?"

Onew blushed. "Sorry, I just realized how little I actually knew about you." Taemin looked down to hide the smile on his face.

"It's okay hyung, I don't mind." Onew looked around, realizing they had somehow ended up walking towards Onew's cafe.

"Oh hey, my shop is close to here, would you like to go and sit out back?"

Taemin nodded happily and followed the older man as he made his way towards the coffee shop. Taemin watched as Onew fumbled with the keys, cursing slightly beneath his breath. Finally, Onew got the right key, and the two crossed the shop to the back, and out into a small garden.

"Wow, do you garden as well?" Taemin asked, looking around in awe.

Onew laughed. "No, no. There's an ahjumma next door whose yard is connected through that fence, and she offered to garden for me. She was a florist in her youth."

"Oh, wow. That's so cool."

"Why don't you take a seat Taemin?" Onew waved his hand, gesturing to a pair of wooden chairs tucked in one shady corner.

Taemin complied, and for a while, the two just sat there in a peaceful silence, Taemin marveling at the greenery, Onew marveling at Taemin.

"Taemin." Onew said, calling Taemin's attention.

"Yes hyung?"

"Why don't you live with your parents?" Taemin was taken aback by the sudden question, unsure whether he should answer or not.

"I'm not going to judge you, if that's what you think. Whatever happened, I'll understand."

Taemin bit his lip, still worried. After what seemed like an eternity, he began.

"My parents...they're very strict people. All that ever mattered to them was that I was the perfect son. But I...I was never the perfect son. How could I be? My dreams didn't match with theirs, and beyond that, I'm the biggest taboo in Korea- I'm gay." Taemin's voice shook a bit on that word, but if he thought Onew would be disgusted by that fact, he was completely wrong.

"I tried. I loved them- how could I not, they were my parents. They were caring and gave me everything, even if they were a bit cold. It was fine the  first 13 years...but things changed. As a kid, I'd always loved dancing, and one day, I saw a sign for free dance classes. Of course I took the opportunity. I was addicted by day one. Being surrounded by others who had the same love as I did- it was different from anything I'd ever known, and I loved it. I went everyday after school, telling my parents I was taking extra lessons. That's how I met Jongin- he was a dancer as well." Taemin's voice was wistful, his eyes glittering at the memories.

"It didn't last long. How could it? It was little over a year when they found and made me quit. They called it a girls sport, and that their respectable son couldn't be seen doing something like that. It wasn't like that could stop me. Nothing could anymore; I love dancing too much. I was only 14, but already I was going against my parents will. It was around this time I met... Minho."

Taemin paused on the name, obviously still upset over what had happened years ago.

"He was perfect, and I fell for him-hard. I'm not going to go into details, because even thinking about him is like poison in my brain. All that matters is what he is now: a low life, two-faced who used me and blackmailed me, and revealed to my parents that I was gay. Funny though, I expected them to be more shocked when they found out..." Taemin let out a short, bitter laugh.

"They didn't kick me out. I was sure they would- who wouldn't disown their gay son who was risking their reputation with his disgusting preference?" Taemin's face had hardened, his words turning bitter. "No, instead, they put me on lock down. I wasn't allowed to leave for anything other than school, and I was to be driven there and back. And then they started setting me up on dates with their friends daughters. In their mind, if they tried hard enough, they could squash the gay out of me."

"It was torture, living a life of a lie. I couldn't do it. So when I was 15, I ran away. I took a couple part time jobs, rented a small apartment, and went back to dance class. Two years ago, Jongin found out, and after some persuasion, he convinced his parents to let him move in with me once he turned 17. We've been living together ever since." Taemin took a deep breath.

"And my parents.... They're still looking for me. I'm sure. I'm their only child, and they need someone to continue the family business once they're gone. That's why, I have to ace this audition. I have to show them, that I can make a living on this, that I'm not a failure. I have to Onew." Taemin looked so determined, any doubt Onew had of the younger immediately vanished.

"I believe in you Taemin. I know you can do it."

Taemin smiled, when his earlier words dawned on Onew.

"Wait, 15? You've been living on your own for four years?"

"Three, Jongin's lived with me for a year."

"But still-"

"Don't worry about me Hyung, I can take care of myself." Taemin smiled softly, to let him know it was really okay. Onew could only stare at the boy, who was so independent, so strong, who had to be to survive on his own since he was 15.

Staring into Taemin's eyes, Onew finally saw beyond the innocent exterior to someone who had experienced more than many men twice his age, but with more life than anyone he'd ever known.

"Taemin-" Onew began, only to be interrupted by the harsh ringing of Taemin's cell phone.

"One moment hyung." Taemin said, answering the call. Onew watched on, trying to calm his racing heart. Onew watched slightly worried as a scared look came upon Taemin's face.

"I'll be right there hyung! Don't worry, I won't be late!"

Taemin hung up and stood so abruptly he nearly knocked Onew over,

"Hyung, I have to leave, now. I'm sorry, we can talk more next time." Taemin was halfway down the hill before Onew even moved.

"Wait, Taemin!" Onew yelled, running to catch up with him.

"What's going on?"

"The audition. It's today. I didn't notice how late it had gotten, please let me go, I have to get there!"

Onew could tell Taemin was on the verge of freaking out.

"I'll take you. You'll get there faster by car anyways. Besides, I want to watch you dance." That last sentence surprised them both.

Onew's heart skipped a beat at the radiant smile on the younger's face.

"Thank you hyung." A pause. "But wait, you don't have a car. Do you?" Onew smiled and pulled Taemin around to the front, stopping in front of a slightly run down black car.

"Since I live where I work, I don't have much use for it, but it still comes in handy sometimes. Like now."

Taemin hugged Onew, surprising the elder. "Thank you hyung! Let’s go." Onew slid behind the wheel while Taemin took his place beside him, quickly explaining how to get to the auditorium where auditions were being held.

Onew nodded and stepped on the gas, not wanting to waste a second, knowing he had to get Taemin there on time.

As soon as they were in front of the building, Taemin was unbuckling his seat belt and readying to get out. Onew stopped him momentarily by placing a hand on top of his.

Taemin stared at Onew, unsure of what the elder was doing.

"Taemin." Taemin just stared into Onew's sweet brown eyes, lost in them. "Fighting." There was that smile again, the one that stopped Onew's heart every time.

"Thank you hyung. I promise I won't let you down." And he was gone, racing up the steps of make it in time.

Onew followed behind a bit slower, wanting to control his heart beat before he entered the building.

It was a simple auditorium, not really one at all, just a gym with a stage at the end. Onew leaned against the wall, eyes on the stage.

A few minutes later, Onew watched as Taemin, Jongin, two boys who must be twins, and a small girl all walked on from backstage. They took their places, Onew's stomach twisting in anticipation. Was Taemin  really as good as Jonghyun said?

The music started, a fast paced song Onew didn't know. The group began dancing, their moves completely synchronized, although Onew thought Taemin looked a bit better than the rest. Though there were five onstage, to Onew there was only Taemin, his eyes glued to the younger as he danced his heart out. Even as the others broke out of form for their solo, Onew only had eyes for the boy.

The music dropped, and Taemin came forward, the spotlight on him. Onew felt his heart stop, and his breath caught in his throat.

Jonghyun was right, there was something about Taemin's dancing that seemed almost magical, as if he were a lithe fairy, not a skinny teenager. Even his face shone with joy, A bright smile as he did moves most would be grimacing while attempting. That smile made Onew's legs go weak, and if it weren't for the wall, he was sure he would have collapsed. Tears clouded his vision, as memories of another trying to invade this perfect moment, and he quickly wiped them away, afraid to miss even a second of the boy's performance.

Soon, too soon, Taemin's solo ended, and not long after, so did the song. Taemin ran off stage and over to Onew, still breathless from all the dancing.

"What did you think hyung?" Taemin said, slightly nervous.

"You were amazing Taemin. Absolutely amazing. They'll pick you, they have to." Taemin smiled brightly at the compliments.

"Thank you hyung."

No. Thank you, Taemin.

 

Three days had passed since the audition, and each day, Onew would watch with worry as a clearly stressed Taemin came through the doors, only to sit at his table and stare into space. When he asked the younger what was wrong, he explained that he was just worried about who would be chosen. It hurt the barista knowing that the only thing he could do to comfort the boy was by making him coffee.

You can be sure that Onew made the younger some damn good coffee.

 

On the third day, Onew was sweeping around the shop, bored out of his mind. There were virtually no customers, and Taemin wasn't due to arrive for another hour or two. Which is why it was all the more shocking for Onew when the door slammed open and Taemin pretty much tumbled inside the shop.

Gasping for breath, Taemin looked at Onew and smiled brightly. "I made it hyung."

Onew set the broom aside, and ran over to Taemin.

"Did you really? You really made it?" Taemin nodded, close to tears he was so happy. He threw his arms around Onew's strong shoulders, drawing him close.

"I did it hyung. I'm going to stand on stage." And then he did something neither one expected him to do.

He kissed Onew.  

 
------------------------------------------------------------
Like I promised, I didn't make you wait long for this chapter. 
Of course, I'm sure you all hate me even more now that I've ended it like this
*evil maknae is evil*
Bye~