The Walk Home

A Shaky Start

— As the date for the recital gets closer, Julia’s practice schedule gets more and more hectic. She is grateful for yet another distraction. She easily uses rehearsals as an excuse to avoid Hoseok as long as she can. She still feels awkward after the kiss. She had imagined that moment for years, but it turned out so different from what she expected. It was like kissing my brother.After all this time that she loved and cared for him, maybe they really were just friends from the start. The thought keeps bothering her, but she doesn’t want to give up on him just yet. Give it time. For now, she can pretend comfortably through a text or over the phone. Just as long as she doesn’t have to face him, then she can take all the time she needs to figure everything out.

— Group rehearsals ended at 9:00pm, but it’s close to midnight before she leaves the school. With only 5 more days left to rehearse, staying this late is expected for the lead. She’s too exhausted to care about having to walk home alone. She puts in her earphones and lifts her hood as she exits the school. She barely makes it half a block before someone grabs her shoulder. Her instincts kick in as she twists the strangers arm and pins him to the wall. She uses one hand to keep him down and the other to pull off her hood and earphones.

NJ: Julia, it’s me! OW!

J: What the hell, Namjoon? I could have killed you.

NJ: I saw you walk out of your school. It’s late and I couldn’t let you walk alone after seeing you. I was calling you so that I could walk you home; but I guess I didn’t have to worry so much since you can obviously take care of yourself.

J: I’m sorry. I had my music on. What are you doing around here this late, anyway?

NJ: My friend lives down the street. *ow* I think you broke my arm. Seriously, though. What are you, a black belt?

J: Stop being a baby. You’ll be fine.

— She turns to continue her walk home and he follows alongside her. She laughs as he grimaces at the pain in his wrist.

NJ: Did you just get out of rehearsals?

J: Yup.

NJ: Where’s everyone else.

J: They left a couple of hours to go.

NJ: You have enough talent to leave when they do. You don’t have to force yourself to practice longer, I hope you know that.

J: Thanks. I appreciate that. To be honest, I’m just really nervous. Everyone has high expectations since I did so well last time.

NJ: Don’t be nervous. You’ll be great, no matter what.

— She can feel the sincerity in his words which makes her feel better. It would have been a really sweet moment if not for her hunger taking over.

J: Oh, wow. Those noodles look really good.

— Namjoon just laughs as she practically drools over the sight of an open noodle shop.

NJ: Have you not eaten yet?

J: Not since lunch.

NJ: Come on. You owe me anyway since I bought you coffee.

— They order at the counter then find their seats. After a few minutes, their order number is called and he stands to retrieve their food. Just then, she feels her phone vibrating in her pocket. She forgot to turn the ringer back on after rehearsals. She regrets not checking the caller ID before answering; had she checked it, she would have just ignored the call.

J: Hello?

H: Hey Jules.

J: Oh…hey!

H: I’m just checking in. Are you home yet?

NJ: Did you need any sauce or anything? Oh. Sorry.

H: Is that Namjoon? What you doing with him at this hour?

J: We bumped into each other on my way home. He offered to walk with me since it was so late. Then I got hungry, so now we’re having noodles.

H: Oh…okay…well, I just wanted to say good night. I’ll just talk to you tomorrow then.

J: You’re not mad, are you?

H: No. I’m glad I don’t have to worry about you having to walk alone. Be careful, okay? I’m really tired so I’m going to bed now.

J: Okay, if you say so. Good night.

— Namjoon can sense the worry on Julia’s face after hanging up the phone. She doesn’t say anything for a while and just eats her food. He doesn’t want to seem nosey, so he also eats quietly. They finish quickly and go back to walking.

NJ: Are you okay?

J: Yeah, I’m fine.

NJ: It’s not really any of my business, so you don’t have to answer; but is everything alright between you and Hoseok?

J: You’re right. It’s none of your business.

— He looks down at his feet, feeling hurt at her bluntness.

J: I’m sorry. That was mean. It’s just…I don’t know…

NJ: It’s fine. You don’t have to tell me.

J: Can I ask you something?

NJ: Go ahead.

J: That night, at the fundraiser. What did you mean when you said you came to watch me dance?

— He is startled by her question. He doesn’t want to lie to her, but he’s too close to Hoseok to tell her the truth.

NJ: Just that I’m a fan of your talent. I can’t dance all that well, so I really like watching people that can.

— She is disappointed at his answer, but she can sense that he’s hiding something.

— They make it to her front gate and say their goodbyes. She enters her house feeling even more confused than before.