Second Chances

A Shaky Start

— Julia is exhausted from her constant practicing. She put all of her focus into her dance for the fundraiser; but now that her performance is over, there is nothing left to distract her. On her way home, every thought that she had been avoiding hit her all at once. She begins to worry about what she will say to Hoseok. She made up her mind to let him go, but she cares too much to see him struggling the way he is. Then there’s Namjoon. That comfort she felt with him was something she never felt with Hoseok. She recalls his explanation for visiting her. She doesn’t know what his true intentions are and she doesn’t want to read too much into it; but the possibilities bring a smile to her face. She is so lost in thought that she almost misses her own house. If not for the random person sitting in front of her gate, she would have just walked right passed it.

J: What are you doing here? And why are you wearing a suit?

H: I figure if I’m going to beg for forgiveness in the middle of the night, I might as well look classy while doing it.

J: You’re stupid…

— The last thing she wants to do is smile. She doesn’t want to give in to his charms. She wants to be firm on her decision to forget him. But she can’t help it. He was always good at saying all the right things that make her heart skip a beat; and right now is no different.

H: Well, I got you smiling. That’s a start. These are for you.

— She accepts the flowers even though everything inside of her is telling her not to.

J: Thanks…I guess.

H: You were amazing tonight, by the way.

J: You were there?

H: I wanted to show you that I’m not too busy for you; and that I could be here when you need me even without you asking.

J: Thank you. That actually means a lot.

— An awkward silence takes over. She feels so confused about this entire situation that she has no idea how to react. Why does he look so nervous?

H: Listen, Jules. I’ve been sitting out here for over an hour, trying to figure out exactly what I want to say; so I’m going to rant for a bit and I need you to not say anything until I’m done. Can you do that for me?

J: Umm…sure?

H: Okay. Here it goes. *clears throat* Missing your recital is probably the biggest mistake that I’ve ever made; but, if I could turn back time, I would do it again. Why? Well, because it has been a really eye-opening experience for me. I have always had you by my side. Even when you were in Seoul and I was still in Gwangju, you were always just a phone call away. I think I got too comfortable and I started to take you for granted; but now, I’m seeing everything in a new light. Like the way your hair flows in the wind, or the way your nose turns red when it’s cold, or the way you stick your hands in your pocket when you get nervous so that no one can see them shaking. I feel like I’m seeing it all for the first time; and it makes me wonder why it took me so long to notice that you are the most amazing and most beautiful person I’ve ever seen. I’m looking at you now and I’m grateful just to have you standing in front of me. I know what it’s like to live without you and I don’t ever want to go through that again. I guess…what I’m trying to say is…I really like you…and…if it’s okay with you…we could, maybe, go watch a movie together…or something…some time…not as friends…but like…a date…if you want…

— He pauses for a moment, not sure of how to continue.

H: I’m sorry. That wasn’t the smoothest way to say it, was it? Let me start again…

J: No. It’s fine. I think I got the idea.

H: Oh. Well. Okay. So…What do you think?

J: I’m kind of in shock right now, to be honest with you.

H: That’s fine. Shock is better than anger. I accept shock.

J: I really don’t know what to say.

H: You’re still mad at me, aren’t you? I understand. You don’t have to answer right now, then. At least give me the chance to prove to you that I won’t make the same mistake again.

— Julia doesn’t know what to do. Hoseok confessing to her is like a dream come true, but she already decided to let him go. Her heart and brain wage war against each other as she silently debates over the situation. In the end, her brain is overpowered and her heart shouts in victory.

J: I don’t know about dating just yet because, like you said, I’m still pretty pissed. But I guess giving you another chance isn’t completely out of the question.

— Hoseok jumps up and down with excitement. He hugs her for a split second, but retreats right away and offers an embarrassed smile instead. After realizing his feelings for her, it just feels awkward to hug her so carelessly. Now that his mission is complete, he sends her inside to get some rest. Once she closes the gate, he dances around in the middle of the street to celebrate the progress he’s made.