The Good Old Times

A Shaky Start

— It’s summer vacation once again and Julia is back at her father’s house. Being away from Seoul is exactly what she needs to clear her mind. She feels like distancing herself from her problems will give her a better perspective on things. After giving it some thought, she is actually grateful that Hoseok didn’t show up to her recital. She realized that night that he really is just a friend. Also, being able to cry in Namjoon’s arms confirmed her feelings for him. She feels a lot more relaxed now; but vacation is almost over, and there is still one more problem that she just can’t seem to solve.

— The rest of her time in Gwangju goes by quickly and Julia is now on the bus back to Seoul. When she arrives at the station, she is greeted by a familiar voice. She doesn’t want to face him; at least not yet; but with him standing right in front of her, she has no choice.

H: You should really get over your irrational fear of trains, Jules. It’s a lot faster and it’s not like you don’t have the money.

J: Not happening. Thanks.

— She turns to walk away, but he grabs her arm.

H: I know you’re still mad, but can you at least hear me out? Just let me rant in the taxi. If you still don’t want to talk to me once we reach your house, then I’ll leave you alone for good.

J: I’m probably going to regret this; but sure, whatever.

— They grab a taxi and Hoseok goes right into the little speech he prepared.

H: I’ve been a horrible human being this past year and there’s no excuse for it. But there were so many years before that when I wasn’t such a jerk, right? Just remember all those good times we had. Don’t you miss them? I know I do. I mean, it probably wasn’t smart for us to try to make what we have into more than what it is; but I really was miserable without you. I still need you in my life, Jules. When something happens to me, there’s no one else that I’d rather run to; and there’s no one else I’d rather protect and care for. I know it’s going to take a while for you to forgive me; but when you’re ready, I’ll be here.

J: Are you done?

H: I guess. Wait…actually no. One last thing. You can hate me all you want, it’s my own fault; but I don’t get why Namjoon has to suffer, too. He’s been really worried about you.

— She doesn’t respond. They both sit quietly for the rest of the ride. When the taxi arrives in front of her house, he helps her get her stuff out before turning to walk away. He turns back and makes one last attempt at getting through to her.

H: Practice ends at 5 o’clock tomorrow, by the way. Our dance teacher has been really good about ending on time; but we usually stay in the studio for a couple of hours. You know, just to hang out and stuff. I’m just saying.

— He walks away; but she remains still, in mid-stride. She feels a tear roll down her cheek which brings her back to her senses. She sighs deeply and goes into her house. She spends the rest of the day and all night debating over whether she should show up at the studio like Hoseok suggested. In the end, she realizes that she can’t make the decision on her own; so she calls the only person she can count on to be there for her in the middle of the night.

H: Hello?

J: I’m sorry. Were you sleeping? Nevermind then; I’ll just hang up now.

H: No, it’s fine. What’s wrong?

J: I don’t want to talk about it over the phone. Can you meet me somewhere?

H: How about I just come over and we can walk around your neighborhood? I don’t want you going anywhere alone at this hour.

J: Okay…

 

— Hoseok lies in bed and wonders what Julia could possibly have to talk about so late. She really has a way of worrying him. He’s still half asleep and he doesn’t really feel like getting up; but he owes her at least this much. He grabs a jacket and puts on his shoes quietly so that he doesn’t wake the other members. Once he arrives at her house, he sends her a text to let her know that he’s waiting outside. It doesn’t take her long to come out and they start their walk. She doesn’t say anything, but he can tell there’s something bothering her.

H: Are you going to tell me what’s wrong or did I come all the way over here just to walk in silence?

J: I think I really like Namjoon.

H: I kind of figured. He likes you, too, you know. And I really don’t mind if you guys start dating; so if you’re worried about that…

J: No. That’s not it.

H: Then what’s wrong?

J: After the recital, I got an offer from a performing arts academy; full scholarship and everything.

H: But…

J: It’s in Vienna…

H: Oh. When do you leave?

J: Not until next year. Classes don’t start until August, but they want me there by the first week of July so that I can get used to everything.

H: I see. So where’s your dilemma? Is it the leaving or the starting something with Namjoon even though you’re leaving?

J: I don’t even know.

H: The way I see it, you’d be crazy to pass up an offer like this; but you also can’t leave with regrets. It all boils down to how strong your feelings are for Namjoon. If you think you’ll be fine without knowing what you guys could have had together, then there you go. But, if you’re going to end up regretting it, then it’s better to at least make those memories together while you can. If it doesn’t work out, then it doesn’t work out; but at least you tried.

J: Maybe you’re right.

H: I am most definitely right! I’m going to miss you like crazy, by the way. Just so you know. Although, it’s not like you care about how I feel anymore; so I guess you’re not too worried about me, are you?

J: You’re dumb…but I’ll miss your dumbness.

— As they walk, it starts to feel like old times again; like nothing happened and no time has passed. They start off by catching up on things that have happened over the past few months, and then their conversation drifts off into several random topics. They come full circle in their walk around the neighborhood as they stop in front of her house. Before they say their goodbyes, he shares one last bit of news with her.

H: Ah! I almost forgot to tell you.

J: What?

H: I met someone in Gwangju when I went to visit my parents.

J: Oh, really? Is that why you’re so chill about me and Namjoon now?

H: Maybe.

J: You’re terrible.

H: Would you rather have me be all sad and alone in the corner while you and Namjoon run off together?

J: Point taken. How did you guys meet?

H: I went to watch the old crew perform and she was there. We got to talking and she turned out to be really cool. She’s also from Seoul, which is really nice. She was just there with some friends. Best part is we have a date on Saturday.

J: Nice. When do I get to meet her?

H: Soon, I hope.

J: Name?

H: Amy…