Fool Me Twice...

A Shaky Start

— Namjoon walks home, spending the entire time trying to force himself to forget about Julia. When he heard about how she and Hoseok made up, he immediately suppressed whatever feelings he had for her. It was easy at first; but, after spending time with her at the café and then walking with her again tonight, he can’t seem to control them anymore. He enters the dorm and is surprised to see Hoseok awake in the kitchen.

NJ: I thought you’d be asleep by now.

H: I couldn’t sleep.

NJ: Why? Is there something wrong?

H: I need you stay away from Jules. I don’t like you hanging out with her. I know how you feel about her and I’m not comfortable seeing you guys together.

NJ: I don’t know what you’re talking about.

H: Don’t lie to me, Namjoon. I saw the two of you outside of her house that one night; and then again at the fundraiser. You’re my friend, so I didn’t say anything; but it’s really starting to bug me now.

NJ: Okay, I do like her; but I backed off when you said you guys started talking again. I’m not going to steal her away, if that’s what you’re afraid of. Just treat her right and you won’t have to worry about me.

— Namjoon goes to bed, leaving Hoseok in the kitchen. Hoseok’s jealousy takes over his every thought, making it hard for him to fall asleep. Over the next 3 days, the two boys only speak to each other when absolutely necessary; otherwise, they just avoid each other altogether. They only have to put up with it for one more day since Namjoon was given permission to visit his family for a few days.

— It’s recital time and Julia’s nerves hit her hard. Even though things have been awkward between her and Hoseok, she still doesn’t want to let him down. Part of her is afraid that he may have forgotten again; but she knows that he doesn’t have any training today, so there shouldn’t be a problem. As a precaution, she requests that no visitors be allowed to see her before the performance. She knows that if he was allowed to see her and he didn’t show his face before the show, then she’d be too worried to perform. At least this way, she can give him the benefit of the doubt and go on stage hoping that he’s out there somewhere in the crowd.

— She finishes the show with another standing ovation from the crowd. As she takes her final bow, a line of admirers prepare to hand her flowers. She looks around for Hoseok, but he isn’t there. She goes back to the dressing room and quickly grabs her things so that she could go back out and search the crowd. As she searches, she finds Namjoon. He gives her a hug and hands her the bouquet he bought.

NJ: You were amazing!

J: Thank you. I’m so glad you made it!

NJ: Everyone loved you. I couldn’t even squeeze in when you went for your bow.

J: I know, I was surprised, too. Have you seen Hoseok?

NJ: No. I came from my parents’ house, so I haven’t seen him all day. Don’t worry. I’m sure he’s here somewhere. I had a hard time finding you in this crowd, too.

J: Yeah, you’re probably right. I haven’t seen my mom either.

Mom: I’m over here. Hi I’m Julia’s mom. Who might you be?

NJ: Hi. I’m Namjoon.

J: Mom, have you seen Hoseok?

Mom: No, sweetie, I haven’t. Why? Did he miss it again?

J: I don’t know…

Mom: Well, I hope you find him. I’m going to head home. Don’t stay out too late, okay?

NJ: You’re not going home yet?

J: No. We have an after party. You should stay, too. It’ll be fun.

NJ: I don’t think so. I should be getting home.

J: Okay. I’m just going to wait for Hoseok here. If you see him, can you send him my way?

NJ: Sure.

— Namjoon makes it all the way home before he realizes that he left his coat at the theater. It’s been over an hour since the show ended so he is worried that that the doors will be locked. It seems to be his lucky day because, not only are the doors open, but his coat is still exactly where he left it. He starts to walk back out until he notices Julia sitting on the steps near the front entrance.

NJ: What are you still doing here? Shouldn’t you be at the after party?

— She didn’t answer. After a closer look, he can see tears flowing down her face. Had she been sitting out here this whole time? He sits beside her and places his hand on her back to comfort her. The cold air has already seeped into her clothing. She must have been freezing. He grabs the coat that he had forgotten and wraps it around her. With his arm still around her from placing the coat, she leans into him and begins sobbing uncontrollably. He relaxes his arm around her and rubs her shoulder. He doesn’t have to ask her what happened to know the reason behind her tears. He forgot her again…