An Honest Mistake

A Shaky Start

— It’s been 2 weeks since they arrived in Seoul. School has already started for Julia. She still has to remind herself every day that there’s no need to rush to the computer once she gets home.

Mom: You’re going to hurt yourself if you keep running around the house like that. You can’t dance with a broken leg.

J: Sorry, mom! I forgot again.

Mom: How’s Hoseok doing, anyway? Is he adjusting well?

J: He’s homesick, but he says he’s okay.

Mom: When was the last time you talked to him?

J: He texted me this morning before he went to bed.

Mom: He sleeps in the morning? As a trainee? Poor baby. See, this is why I would rather you be a choreographer than an idol.

J: I’ll keep that in mind, mom.

— Hoseok is busy as ever with countless vocal and dance lessons. He makes it a habit to text her at least once a day even if it’s just to say goodnight.

YG: Come on, let’s go to bed. I think we’ve practiced enough for tonight.

H: Okay. Let me just grab my phone.

NJ: Are you texting Julia again. Wouldn’t she be asleep?

 H: It doesn’t matter; at least she’ll read it when she wakes up.

YG: You guys have an interesting relationship.

H: She’s always been there for me when I needed her; even when she was busy here in Seoul. I just want to make sure she knows that I’m here, too.

— The boys finally have a free day and the four of them decide to spend it together on a hiking/picnic trip. Namjoon and Yoongi take this opportunity to get to know Julia better.

 YG: You’re in high school right now, too, right? What school do you go to?

J: Seoul Performing Arts High School.

YG: Wow! Really? Don’t a lot of idols go there?

J: Yeah, but I never see them.

NJ: It’s really hard to get in. You must be really talented.

J: I’m not that great.

H: Are you kidding, you’re amazing!

— His compliment makes her blush. They enjoy the rest of their day like this; eating, walking, talking, and playing around. They both begin to think that they were wrong about having to live without the other; but it was still too early in their journey for them to know how right they were in the beginning.

— 2 months pass since their picnic trip. The texts between the two slowly become less frequent; from at least once a day to maybe once a week, finally down to only-when-there-is-news-to-share. It takes another month for such news to arrive.

J: Clear your schedule for exactly 1 month from today.

H: Why, what’s up?

J: I got the lead in the next recital. I need you there. Can you make it?

H: Of course! Even if I have to miss training and get yelled at, I’ll definitely be there.

— It’s the night of the recital and Julia is more nervous than ever. 10 minutes to curtain and he hasn’t come to say hello yet. Maybe he thinks he’ll make me lose focus. It’s time for the show. She takes a deep breath and takes the stage with confidence; certain that he’s in the crowd somewhere to cheer her on. She only realizes his absence when she goes to take her bow and her mother is the only one who approaches the stage with flowers.

— Yet another night of practice and Hoseok is exhausted. He feels like he’s forgetting something, but his body is so sore that he doesn’t bother to remember what it is. It’s past midnight when he finally gets to rest. His brain shuts down and he falls asleep right when his body meets the bed. He wakes the next morning to a text from her. There’s no message, just a link to an article: “Rising star, Julia, wows the crowd in Seoul Performing Arts High School Winter Recital.” …Crap!