Too Little Too Late

A Shaky Start

– Hoseok’s constant practicing isn’t enough to erase the memory of Namjoon and Julia from his mind. Even as he is dancing, he can’t escape the image of them together. The dance teacher pulls him aside to scold him for lacking focus. He can’t hear what the teacher is saying though, because he is busy watching Namjoon who is smiling after checking his phone. He has to be texting Julia.

– His imagination runs wild with every little move that Namjoon makes. Every time Namjoon smiles, it has to be because of Julia. If Namjoon receives a text, it has to be from Julia. One week has passed already and he has become completely obsessed with the idea of losing her to Namjoon; and he can’t stand it. He thinks hard about any way to get her back. He sees an article on the internet about a fundraiser being held at Julia’s school with her as one of the performers. He decides to go without her knowing. Maybe if she can see my effort, then she’ll finally forgive me.

– It’s the night of the fundraiser. He dresses up in a suit and tie and prepares flowers to hand her after her performance. He’s nervous, but he still doesn’t understand why. He keeps convincing himself that he simply misses Julia’s friendship. I’m not jealous…she’s just a friend…nothing more …

– He goes into the theater hall and takes a seat in the back. He doesn’t want her to see him just yet. It’s finally her turn to perform. Watching her move so elegantly makes his heart stop. Has she always been this beautiful? Suddenly, in his mind, the entire audience disappears; it becomes a special dance just for him. The cheers from the crowd bring him back to reality. It’s time for him to make his appearance. He straightens his tie, prepares the flowers, and tries to make his way to the front. He must have been really slow because, by the time he gets close to the front, someone else is already there. His eyes focus on Namjoon approaching Julia with a big bouquet and then on Julia giving Namjoon a hug before they walk out through the side doors. The pain in his chest returns. Okay, so maybe I’m a little jealous…

– Namjoon can’t seem to keep his mind off of Julia. He admits to himself that he has fallen for her, but he wants to wait for Julia to get over Hoseok before he confesses his feelings for her. For now, his only concern is Hoseok. He is really worried because it seems like Hoseok has lost even more focus. I guess she hasn’t talked to him yet.

– As time passes, he has become a bit paranoid. He feels like Hoseok is following his every move. Any time he checks his phone, he can feel Hoseok’s eyes watching him. He can’t possibly know how I feel about Julia, right? Nevertheless, Hoseok’s behavior has gotten worse and he feels it’s time to step in again. That night he walked her home, Julia told him she was practicing for her performance for some fundraiser. He decides to go and try to convince her again to talk to Hoseok.

– On the night of the fundraiser, he dresses simply in jeans, a nice shirt, and a jacket. He leaves early to buy flowers to hand her after she performs. He’s seen people do it on TV; so he feels like it is the norm. He arrives at the hall just in time and he takes the closest seat he could find, hoping that she might see him in the crowd. He can tell that it’s her turn because he recognizes the song from that other night. Her movements and passion are even stronger than when she was practicing. He has to stop himself from shedding a tear as she brings the audience into the world she creates for the song. Her amazing talent leaves him breathless once again. He can feel himself falling for her even more as the song progresses. She receives a standing ovation from the crowd. He also stands to cheer for a second before walking towards the front of the hall. He smiles as he hands her the flowers. She smiles back and gives him a hug to thank him. She leads him out of the hall and they find seats in the corridor.

J: What are you doing here? Not that I’m complaining or anything.

NJ: Would you believe me if I said I just came to watch you dance?

J: No, I wouldn’t. I wish it was true, though. The only other reason you would have is because something happened to Hoseok. Did something happen to him?

NJ: He’s gotten worse. I think he’s on the verge of being kicked out of the group.

J: Don’t worry. I was planning on talking to him tomorrow anyway. I just didn’t want to be distracted from my performance.

NJ: Thanks…

– He notices her shiver a bit. It was only then that he realized how little she was wearing. He blushes shyly as he takes off his jacket and places it around her. She smiles and thanks him. They sit quietly for a second. His heart is beating so fast. He can no longer control his urge to tell her how he feels. He looks down at his lap and makes a simple confession.

NJ: I really did come here to watch you dance. If it was just for Hoseok, I would have just gone to your house.

– He looks at her to check her reaction. He can’t really tell just by looking; but she is smiling which is always a good sign.

– They hear the MC calling for the performers to go back out in order to greet the guests. He offers to wait so that he can walk her home. She declines because she doesn’t know what time they will finish and she doesn’t want him to wait too long. She returns his jacket to him, then she enters the hall as she waves goodbye. He heads home, satisfied with the outcome of his visit.