Reconciliations

A Shaky Start

— Hoseok is especially energetic even though he got very little sleep. His excitement over Julia’s appearance keeps him wide awake.

— Practice ends shortly after 5 o’clock just as he predicted. Namjoon immediately locks himself in his little cave, aka the recording studio, while the rest of the members relax in the practice room. As time goes by, Hoseok gets more and more nervous. He was so sure that he was able to persuade her to come that he never dreamed that she wouldn’t; but his confidence in his persuasion techniques lessens with each passing minute. Why isn’t she here yet? An hour and a half passes and everyone is getting hungry and restless.

JK: Hyung! Let’s just go already.

H: Just a few more minutes.

YG: Come on. Let’s leave him.

H: No. Just wait a little bit longer.

Jin: What are you waiting for, anyway?

J: I think he’s waiting for me. Hey guys.

YG/Jin: Julia?!

H: Way to build up the suspense, Jules. I almost had a heart attack waiting for you to show up.

J: What would you have done if I didn’t show, then?

H: I would have come to your house and dragged you out by your hair.

J: I would have bitten your hand off before you could even get me out of bed.

H: What do you think the other hand is for?

YG: Wow. And I thought you guys were weird before.

— They laugh and hug while exchanging greetings. After a short conversation with both Yoongi and Seokjin, she searches for the one she is really there to see.

J: Where is he?

H: He’s in the studio. I’ll take you.

JK: *clears throat*

H: Oh, that’s right. Jules, this is the new guy I told you about.

J: Hi. I’m Julia, Hoseok’s friend.

JK: Hello. I’m Jeon Jungkook. It’s nice to meet you.

J: You look so young. How old are you?

JK: I turn 15 this year.

J: Oh my God! You’re not even in high school yet.

H: Hey! Focus! You’re here for a reason. Remember?

J: Oh. Right.

— Hoseok pulls her away from the others and leads her to a room down the hall. He gives her a “fighting” cheer before leaving her to enter on her own. Namjoon is so focused on the new song that he is writing that he doesn’t notice her come in. She knocks on the wall to get his attention. He is somewhat annoyed that someone would disturb him; so he sighs as he turns around in his chair. He stands up in shock when he realizes it’s her. She smiles and waves shyly from the doorway. She sways nervously and looks away from him as she mentally prepares the right words to say. She looks back at him, ready to deliver her confession; but none of the words want to come out. All she can seem to muster up is one simple word.

J: Hi.

NJ: Hi? I don’t see or hear from you for months and all you say is hi?

— His attitude catches her off guard.

J: No…well…

NJ: Well, if you have nothing else to say, then you can just go. I have work to do.

— He sits back down and turns back around while she is left there speechless. It doesn’t seem like he’s willing to give her a chance to explain. She almost leaves, but she stops herself. I can’t give up this easily. She kneels down on the ground and raises her arms near the doorway. He knows that she hasn’t left, but he continues to pretend to work on his song. His curiosity gets the best of him as he gives in and turns his chair around.

NJ: What are you doing?

J: This is the first punishment that came to mind, but I can do something else if you want.

NJ: Get up. You’re being ridiculous.

J: Not until you forgive me.

NJ: There’s nothing to forgive. You had no obligations to contact me.

J: Then why are you mad?

NJ: Because you can’t just show up out of the blue and act like nothing happened, Julia. I know I never came out and said anything, but I think my feelings for you were pretty obvious. Honestly, I thought you might have liked me, too; but I was clearly mistaken since you went out of your way to avoid me. I understand, so don’t worry. You can go on with your life guilt-free.

J: No. Apparently, you don’t understand. Look, I’m sorry for disappearing the way I did. I had my reasons; and it wasn’t because I don’t like you…It was mostly because I like you a little too much; and that scared me because I know how this is all going to end. I decided that forcing myself to live without you was better than hurting you; but I can’t do that anymore. I want to be with you for however long I can and I don’t want to live my life not knowing what I could have had with you. I know it’s selfish of me, but I really don’t care anymore. If you still don’t want anything to do with me, I understand. At least I’ve said what I wanted to say.

— Silence fills the room as Namjoon considers her apology. He tried so hard to forget her, but he just couldn’t let her go. Now she’s back and she’s telling him that she’s liked him all along. Half of him is ecstatic while the other half is still cautious. What if she leaves again? She sighs in sadness as she stands up; believing that his silence means that she has failed. Seeing her turning to leave makes his decision easier. He grabs her hand, turns her back to him, and kisses her. She can feel the intimacy and ease that was lacking in her kiss with Hoseok. It’s exactly what she imagined a kiss should be like, and then some. When they pull their heads away, he pulls her in closer for a hug. She buries her head and in his chest. He leans his head in closer to hers and whispers in her ear.

NJ: Just promise me you won’t disappear again…

— Chills run down her spine and drops as a sudden explosion of guilt turns his sweet request into a bitter expression.

H: *clears throat*…We’re all kind of hungry out here; so if you guys could hurry it up a bit, that’d be great.

— She regains control of her emotions and makes sure to paint on a smile before lifting her head away from Namjoon’s chest. Hoseok can sense the insincerity of her smile, but Namjoon doesn’t notice. Namjoon smiles back at her as he releases her from his hug, and then takes a hold of her hand. As she is lead by Namjoon out of the studio, Hoseok sends her a look of confusion. She replies with a worried shrug. Namjoon has to stop by the practice room to get his stuff while she and Hoseok are left in the hall.

H: What now?

J: I can’t tell him about Vienna.

H: Are you kidding me? You can’t let him jump into this without telling him what’s he’s getting himself into.

J: You’re the one that said that he and I should make good memories while we can. That’s all that really matters, right?

H: That’s not what I meant and you know it.

— Namjoon steps out of the practice room and they notice just in time to end their conversation. Hoseok continues to glare at her from behind as they make their way out of the building, silently reminding her that their discussion is far from over.