New Beginnings

A Shaky Start

— They are sitting in Julia’s living room just enjoying each other’s company. For the first time in the 2 years since her parents’ divorce, she is glad that she attends school in Seoul. She hated it, at first, because Hoseok was so far away. Even though she saw him every day through the magic of the internet, she felt like it wasn’t enough. Now, they will be in the same city because of his training. She won’t see him every day like before; but she is satisfied just knowing that, when they do see each other, it will be in person and not on a computer screen.

J: When are you leaving for Seoul?

H: The day after tomorrow. I was actually hoping you’d come with me.

J: I can’t. I still have another week here. My dad isn’t going to let me go.

H: But if it’s okay with your dad, then you’ll come?

J: I guess; but he’ll never agree to it.

— A smile forms on his face as he jumps up from the couch and runs to her dad’s office. She chases after him, not knowing exactly what he’s planning on doing.

H: Dad? Can I steal Jules away a week early? I mean, wouldn’t you feel a lot better knowing that your only daughter doesn’t have to travel all the way to Seoul by herself?

Dad: When are you leaving?

H: Day after tomorrow.

— Her father looks at her with a questioning stare. She replies with a shrug, unsure of the answer herself.

Dad: *sigh* Sure. Why not? But if something happens to her, I’m holding you responsible!

H: Of course! Thanks, Dad!

— He smiles to her; proud of his own accomplishment. She smiles back; simply grateful that he would even make that kind of effort.

— The day comes for them to leave Gwangju and head to Seoul. Julia and her father have gotten used to her traveling; so he merely drops her of and wishes them well. Both of Hoseok’s parents and his older sister stay until it’s time to board the bus. He manages to keep his cool as he says his goodbyes; but once the bus starts moving, his tears start flowing. This is the real reason why he wanted me here, she thinks to herself. She pats on him on the back to comfort him. Had he been with anyone else, he would have been embarrassed. But it wasn’t just anyone; it was her. Minutes away from home, he already misses his family; but, with her around, he feels at peace.

— After several hours on the road, they finally arrive in Seoul and are greeted by Julia’s mother at the station. Hoseok’s living arrangements are set; but since he doesn’t have to check in until tomorrow, he asks to stay with her and her mother for just one more day. Although they are both exhausted from their trip, neither one of them want to rest. They spend the day together likes it’s their last; going shopping, sightseeing, bike riding, and doing pretty much any other activity they run into along their journey through the city. It’s already late when they return to Julia’s mother’s house, but they still stay up talking in the living room about nothing and everything all at the same time. She only goes to bed when she notices that he has already fallen asleep.

— It’s the next morning and it’s time for Hoseok to go to the studio. She can tell he’s nervous, so she tags along for moral support. Once they get there, they meet with the CEO first.

Bang PD: Ah, you’re the dancer from Gwangju, right? And this lovely young lady would be your…girlfriend?

Both: No!

H: This is Julia. She’s my best friend from Gwangju, but she lives here in Seoul.

PD: Oh. Well, it’s nice to meet you, Julia.

J: It’s nice to meet you, too.

PD: Just so we’re clear, you can’t be here during training hours; but you are welcome to come here during his free time.

J: Yes, I understand.

PD: If you don’t have any questions, we can go ahead and meet the other members.

— Bang PD leads them to the dance studio where 2 other guys are waiting.

PD: Everyone, this is Jung Hoseok from Gwangju. He’ll be your 3rd member. Please take care of him.

H: Hello. I’m Jung Hoseok.

PD: I’ll leave you guys to get to know each other. Namjoon-ah, show him around first before you guys start practice.

NJ: Yes, PD-nim.

— Bang PD leaves and the boys gather around to introduce themselves.

NJ: Hi, I’m Kim Namjoon. This is Min Yoongi hyung.

H: Hi. It’s nice to meet you guys. This is my best friend, Julia.

J: Hello!

— Namjoon takes them on a tour of the studio and then shows them the dorm. As they walk, everyone goes through the usual steps of meeting someone new: find out age rankings then have quick hometown and hobbies discussions. The boys get along quite well from the beginning. They are very welcoming and fun, at least in Julia’s eyes.

— After helping Hoseok settle into his new home, it’s time for Julia to leave. He hugs her goodbye and waits for her to get into a taxi before going to practice.

NJ: So what’s the story with you and Julia? You guys look really close.

H: We’ve been dancing together since we were young. She likes a sister to me.

YG: Are you sure it’s not more than that?

H: I love her more than anything; but not like that.

— She arrives at home and goes straight to bed to take a nap. He stretches his body to prepare for his first practice. As her eyes close and as his practice starts, they both have the same realization: my life without him/her starts now.