Uncertainties

A Shaky Start

— Almost two weeks pass and everything is going well between Hoseok and Julia. She has pushed aside her concerns about Namjoon which has given her a real chance at happiness with Hoseok. It’s a Saturday and neither of them have any schedules for the whole day; so they decide to spend it together on a special date around the city. She arrives at the café near the studio where they are supposed to meet and waits outside. He texts her saying that he will be a little late, so she goes inside to have some coffee while waiting. Once she enters, she notices Namjoon waiting in line to order. Now that she has chosen to forget about him completely, it is easier for her to approach him.

J: Hey!

NJ: Oh, hey! Are you waiting for Hoseok?

J: Yeah. We were supposed to meet here 10 minutes ago, but he said he’s running late. I thought it’d be better to just wait in here.

NJ: You want some company?

J: Sure.

NJ: Congratulations on getting lead again, by the way.

J: Thanks. You should come and watch. I think you’d enjoy it.

NJ: When is it?

J: In about 3 weeks.

NJ: I’m going to my parents’ house around that time, so I’ll have to double check. But I’ll definitely try.

— It’s their turn to order and Namjoon offers to pay for her drinks. She smiles and thanks him as they make their way to an empty table. They continue to chat comfortably until their order arrives. They don’t talk about anything special; but, somehow, every word feels so meaningful.

NJ: How can you even drink that?

J: It’s better than your Macchiato. Once you get used to the taste, it’s actually pretty good. It’ll help a lot when you have to stay up for training. Want to try some?

— He takes a sip and makes the most disgusted face she’s ever seen. She laughs as he coughs at the bitterness. She can feel the comfort that she found in his embrace again. This time, it fills the space around their table and creates a separate little world just for the two of them. Everything feels so right that she doesn’t even question the butterflies that suddenly appear in her stomach.

H: There you are. I was trying to call you, but I guess you were preoccupied.

— The invisible wall that surrounded her and Namjoon shatters at Hoseok’s appearance. A burst of guilt fills the pit of her stomach as she looks at her phone and sees 8 missed calls.

NJ: And that would be my cue to go. I’ll see guys later.

J: I’m sorry. My phone was on silent. You know how annoyed I get when a phone rings in a quiet coffee shop.

H: It’s fine.

J: Why do you sound so upset? You knew I’d be waiting in here.

H: It’s nothing. Let’s just go. I don’t know when we’ll be able to go out for a whole day like this again so I would like to enjoy it.

— They go around the city as planned. Their date seems perfect, but something feels off to her. After being in that little world with Namjoon, being around Hoseok feels different; like there is something big missing. She doesn’t let this feeling spoil her time with him; and, by the time he has to take her home, they have created plenty of memories that will last them until the next time they can be together. Somewhere along their walk home, their hands meet and he doesn’t let go. It feels right, but still incomplete.

— They reach her front gate and they hug as they say their goodbyes. They pull away from their embrace, but they both keep their arms wrapped around the other. He leans his head down to rest his head on hers.

H: I would really like to kiss you right now, but I don’t think I should.

J: Why not?

H: If I do it tonight, then you’ll have nothing to look forward for next time.

J: I think it’s worth the risk.

— He leans in more, she tilts her head back, and they share their first kiss together. Without a word, he slowly loosens the grip of his arms around her waist so that she can go inside. They linger outside for a moment before she finally goes. She goes straight for her room and jumps into bed. Instead of feeling the excitement of replaying the kiss over-and-over in her mind like before, she feels the burden of one unexpected thought: He was right. We should have waited…