Switch

A Shaky Start

— Julia enters her house with a big smile. Her mother walks out of the office at the sound of her arrival.

Mom: How did it go?

J: It went surprisingly well.

Mom: Who are the flowers from?

J: Hoseok came by to apologize.

Mom: He gave you two bouquets? He must be really sorry then.

J: Two?

— That’s right. She had two. Namjoon. In all the excitement over Hoseok, she completely forgot about Namjoon. Suddenly, she’s not that happy anymore.

— The new school year starts. She sits in class, glad to have something to distract her from her dilemma. On one hand, she feels guilty for forgetting about Namjoon, even though she was never clear on his feelings for her. On the other hand, she feels guilty for neglecting Hoseok, even after all the effort he’s been making to impress her and win her back. Her first day is over and she’s on her way home when she sees him waiting for her by the school’s front gate. Her inner turmoil is like a switch that turns off at the sight of his smiling face. When she is with him, there is no question who her heart belongs to.

J: You have a habit of just showing up out of the blue, don’t you?

H: It’s called a surprise. You used to like those.

J: Still do.

— He offers to carry her bag and they walk off together in no particular direction. As they walk, they catch up on everything that’s happened since they stopped speaking.

H: We have a new member. I don’t know if I told you about him already.

J: Oh! Is he handsome?

H: I guess. I mean, if you like that prince charming kind of style.

J: I love that style.

H: Do you, now? I’ll keep that in mind any time I think about introducing the two of you.

J: Don’t worry. I’m just joking. I don’t like guys that are prettier than me.

H: Are you saying I’m ugly, then?

J: Just slightly.

— Their conversation gets cut off by the sound of Hoseok’s phone ringing. He steps away from her to answer it. When he hangs up, he looks back at her with an apologetic look on his face.

J: *sigh* What happened?

H: They need me back at the studio.

J: You should go, then. I have some homework to do anyway.

H: Why don’t you come with me? It should only take a second; then we can go to the café by the studio after.

J: Sure. I guess it’s okay.

— They arrive at the studio and he leaves her in the practice room so that he can talk with Bang PD. The new member and Yoongi enter the room not long after he leaves.

YG: Julia! Long time no see!

J: Hello. How have you been?

YG: We’ve been good. Have you met our new member?

Jin: Hello. I’m Kim Seokjin.

J: Hi. It’s nice to meet you.

— She enjoys her conversation with the two until she notices Namjoon walk in. This is the first time she’s seen him since the night of the fundraiser. Without Hoseok, the switch turns back and her inner turmoil continues. She excuses herself from Yoongi and Seokjin and approaches Namjoon. She doesn’t know what to say; but she has to, at least, make sure he is okay.

J: Hey.

NJ: Hey. I heard about you and Hoseok. Congratulations.

J: Thanks, I guess. Are you okay, though? I mean, I thought you might be upset about it.

NJ: Why would I be upset?

J: Well…I just thought…because at the fundraiser…You know what? Nevermind. I guess it was just my imagination.

— She doesn’t understand why she feels so upset and disappointed. She doesn’t know what she was expecting him to say; but, for some reason, his indifference caused her pain in her chest. She goes back to talking with the other two members until Hoseok steps out of the office. They both say their goodbyes to the other members and leave for the café; but, before she steps through the door, she looks back one last time at Namjoon.

— The switch flips once more as the two make the short walk to the café. They enter and place their orders before finding seats.

H: Since when did you drink Americanos?

J: I needed the caffeine for all my late night practices. The taste takes some getting used to, but I don’t mind it now. It’s actually pretty good.

H: Oh, that’s right. You have the spring recital coming up.

J: Yup. It’s in 5 weeks.

H: I’ll be there. I’ll set 10 alarms if I have to.

J: If that’s the case then I’m not going remind at all after this. It’s up to you to remember all on your own.

H: Fair enough. I won’t let you down this time. I promise.

— Sitting together brings back all the memories of her love for him. It was ridiculous of her to ever consider forgetting about him. How could she, when simply sitting with him like this feels so right? They stay in the café until it gets dark out. He takes her straight home after they leave so that she could do the assignment she had almost forgotten about. They reach her front gate and, as they say their goodbyes to each other, he gives her a quick kiss on the cheek. He waves goodbye again and leaves the scene before she even has a chance to react.