05. Battle of Pride

Happily Married

“I’m back,” you called but no one answered.

There was not a sound that you worried if he’d gone back to the dorm but all the lights are on so you knew he was there waiting for you. He knew you were afraid of dark so whenever you’re late, he’d put the lights on so that you could feel safe.

You entered the bedroom to discover a sleeping Taekwoon sprawling facedown across the foot of the bed, one hand hanging from the edge while the other was hugging the pillow over his head. You smiled, inched near to the bed and took the pillow off of his head.

He stirs awaked, eyebrows knitting, trying to adjust to the light, “What time is it?”

“Around 2 in the morning,” you sat down beside him, he suddenly rose up and leave the bedroom.

“You’re late,” his cold voice trailed behind his back.

 

“What was that,” you stood in the doorway to the kitchen in which he was grabbing a drink from the refrigerator, his back facing you.

“What?” he opened the beer can.

“I know I’m late and I’m sorry about that can you at least face me and talk to me so that I can apologize?” you walked towards him, “Taekwoon,” you took his forearm, your fingers lightly clutched the tensed muscle.

You heard him sighed at the touch, still facing his back “Taekwoona,” you called again.

“You know I’d be waiting,” his voice slightly shaking, “Is your job more important than me?” you can sensed the anger in his voice.

“I didn’t think I’d be this late but it was a hard day and we-,”

“I said we have a lot to talk about, a lot to plan, I said I’d be home early, I told you to wait for me…..” he finally faced you and inched closer as he worded each phrase.

His forceful manner made you paced back until your waist hit the dining table.

“I said I’m sorry that I’m late, but my job is important for me. You know how important this project is. I can’t miss this meeting and you leave for your job too.” You were on the brink of tears but you were determined to show no weakness to this man.

He doesn’t like fragile people, I need to be strong in front of him.

You forced yourself to look up at his face swallowing back your tears.

“It’s different,” his cold words exploded in your ears.

 

You had been facing this same problem ever since you two started to date. You were an amateur writer back then, you did collaborations on minor shows on cable TV and after a while you became assistant writer for less famous dramas. Taekwoon took it for granted that you should at times overlook your minor job just to be with him on his rare schedule free times.

Last year, you got offered a job to be a main writer for a cable TV drama and it was a hit. It was when fans started to accepted you as a worthy girlfriend for their idol.

Now that you were working on a new project for a big time drama for one of a major channel, you barely got time to spend with Taekwoon. You’d got occasional meetings which lasted all day, you needed to brainstorm and cooperate with assistant writers concerning the complicated story of the drama, sometimes when you were writing on your own, and you refused to come out of your room.

He understood the importance of this job for you and understood your busy schedule for most of the time, but when he needed you the most, he still took it for granted that you should be with him no matter what. You always tried to give him the attention he needed but at times when you couldn’t, there was nothing a heartfelt apology couldn’t solve.

But this time, it was different. His tone was so cold and it stung, so much that you lost your patience, every repressed emotion that you’d been holding  all these times had surfaced and threatening to burst out.

You were done apologizing.

 

“Different? What is so different? Is your job the only important thing, what about mine? If you can’t respect my job, I guess it’s impossible for us to live together.” You regretted the instant those last words left your mouth.

Hearing your words, Taekwoon froze. He looked into your eyes for a while like he was searching for unspoken words.

You could no longer look into his eyes as your tears were threatening to fall. You turned your face sideways trying to avoid his piercing eyes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

His arms came to rest on your shoulders, gave them a painful squeeze and then he took off leaving a loud bang as he closed the door.

 

******

 

Hakyeon was uncharacteristically wide awake so early in the morning. He didn’t know whether to get annoyed or sympathized with the drunken crying Taekwoon on his shoulder.

Taekwoon’s phone buzzed a call for the zillionth time, the leader picked it up, this time there was no denial from his friend so he answered the phone.

“Taekwoona,” a desperate voice called from the other line.

“Lunashi? Taekwoon is asleep now,” he looked down at his friend leaning to him, he showed no interest in his friend’s conversation on the phone.

“Hakyeonshi please don’t lie to me, I know he’s there, let me talk to him.”

“It’s not the best time, he’s totally torn apart now. I think you need to give him some time to get over what you just said.” He hanged up the phone.

Am I too harsh on her? He thought to himself but seeing his friend in this state, he decided she deserved the harshest comment. He nodded to justify his own judgment and carried his friend into his bed.

“You can’t be in this state for long Taekwoona, we’ve to leave for our world tour in two days’ time.”

 

******

 

One of the disadvantages for being a maknae in a k-pop group had to be having to wake up at an ungodly hour to prepare food for the hyungs.

“Stupid Taekwoon hyung, always spending time in his stupid apartment with his stupid girlfriend now I have to cook the stupid breakfast for the stupid hyungs.” Sanhyuk muttered as he crept his way into the kitchen.

It was almost winter time and there was merely any light. Corner of his eyes caught a suspicious shadow in the living room. His heart skipped a beat.

‘Was it the ghost that Jaehwan hyung talked about the other day’.

But being a manly maknae he was, he braced himself.

‘There’s no such thing as ghost and I’m a grownup man so I ghosts don’t scare me.’

That’s right, the un-scared grownup maknae proudly marched into the kitchen where he run into something and fell on his bottom.

It was remarkable how high he could scream considering he wasn’t even a main vocal of the group.

 


 

Eh.. That’s not a very wise thing to say to your recently engaged fiancé.

But he has a world tour? In two days he proposed you? And he got mad at you for a day’s meeting?

How could he.

But don’t worry, everything will be just fine. (in about two or three updates ><)

 

Anyways, that was not an important thing.

The important thing is ‘WHAT HAPPENED TO HYUKKIE?’

Let’s find out in another update, shall we?

 


 

A special shout out to bellaa thanks for voting my dear ^_^

 

Also welcome my new lovely subbies

Skymint

elosnsd99

taeddy-baer

fanillawoobin

bellaa

 

 

As always, thank you for your comments and love you guys.

 


 

*Promotion Corner*

This is my new one-shot with BTS Jongkook.

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/580395

But don’t worry, this story is my first priority.

I will try to update every two days or so.