Dream Girl

The Swan Maiden

They couldn’t take their eyes off her. They sure did try but it wasn’t for long. The two young men, Taemin and Kai both sat behind the log, watching as she tried to straighten out the edge of her dress. She had creased it from wringing it.

Taemin glanced at Kai who was just as amazed. “Have you ever seen anything so lovely?”

“No, is she a person or a bird?”

Taemin didn’t know how to respond to this stupid remark. As he rose to stand Kai jumped. “W-what are you doing?” Taemin opened his gun and tipped the remaining bullets into his hand.

“I’m going to talk to her; see who she is.”

As Taemin started to make his way Kai lunged for his ankle and trapped it with both hands. “No are you crazy? How do we know she’s safe?”

Taemin had to raise his eyebrows. “Because she seems safe,” was his answer. He had his head turned towards the girl as he added. “Look at her, she doesn’t look to be some middle aged temptress.”

“Looks can be deceiving.”

Taemin did agree with this to a degree. “Yes but she’s a pretty middle aged temptress.” Kai hit himself in the forehead. He couldn’t believe what his friend was saying.

“Either way we shouldn’t jump the gun. Let me come with you.” Kai got up, opening his gun as well. He took out the rest of his ammunition and put it in the remaining slots loading with a full barrel.

Taemin stopped with his eyes widening. “What are you doing?”

“Just in case she is… Trouble,” Kai locked the barrel closed with a click. Not sure what to do Taemin glanced down at where she was standing. Fortunately she seemed oblivious to it all and was checking her appearance in the lake’s reflection.  Taemin wasn’t the kind to think things over. He bent his knees and slid down the hill, spreading the grass as he made a large track.

“W-what are you doing?!” The girl turned after hearing Kai yell, her eyes alert from shock. Taemin had just reached the bottom when she spotted him. They stared at the other, one from curiosity, the other from fear. She mumbled something softly before grabbing her skirts and running away.

Taemin quickly picked himself up and ran after her. “W-wait please we aren’t going to…”

 She was going around the base a small cliff out of sight. Taemin he kept going. Around the other side a fair distance away from the waterfall that fell into the lake was what looked to be a rather old house with ivy and other climbing plants clinging to the brick. There was a large tower on the side with three windows going from top, middle to bottom. It didn’t look as though there was any way for anyone to leave that house except from front door.

She didn’t look back. Taemin was beginning to think she didn’t tire. He called to her, “please we mean you no harm!” The girl went to the door of the tower let herself in. He got there a moment later about to knock when he was struck down.

Groaning he sat up only to roll away when something charged at him with pointy ends. He only just got to his feet as his attacker turned around. It had four legs, a short tail and a nose like a dog.

“Did I get him?” Speechless Taemin’s mouth opened without help. Did that buck just speak? He couldn’t be sure. It looked like the usual deer he’d seen in pictures. It didn’t have antlers just yet but the sharp horns that would become those looked as though they could do damage.

“No he’s still on the ground you idiot!” Another voice shouted from close by. “No matter what don’t let him in!”

Taemin shut his eyes as something fluttered around his face. Feathers tickled his face while it started to jab. Lifting an arm he tried to shoo it away but it kept flying to the opposite sides, tweeting loudly.

“Yeah that’s it, and now I’ll come in and sit on his foot!” He felt something crawl onto him right where his shoe was. Peering through the blur of the fast moving bird he saw what looked to be a strange lizard creature. Its huge revolving eyes staring at him while it opened wide to stick out a long thin tongue.

Taemin shook his legs trying to remove it while the bird was starting to tire. He heard another voice, a female one this time speak.
“I can’t… I’m getting tired.” Glancing around Taemin saw the bird which was a lot smaller than he realised glide down to the ground, ruffle its feathers while sitting. It looked like it was rather pale in colour, maybe a salmon pink with some green or yellow.

Someone yelled at him and then Taemin realised that it was in fact the lizard that had that voice. Which meant the love bird was a girl. “Alright I’ll go,” he agreed reluctantly, feeling like he was going crazy. The lizard crawled off his leg and towards a tree.

“Don’t come back.”

Glancing back Taemin frowned before having a quick peer at the tower. He had no choice but to keep on walking. He wasn’t welcome, at least not by her pets. Still, it didn’t put the girl out of his mind. Who was she? Had he met her before?

Kai was at the bottom of the slope waiting. “Well, did you talk to her?”

“No,” Taemin eyed Kai’s gun. “She went inside before I had the chance. Put that away I don’t think she’ll be any danger to us.”

 “What makes you say that?” Kai asked as he held the weapon behind his back for his friend’s sake.

“The fact her pets were her bodyguards.” Taemin brushed his sleeves. He let out a huff of frustration. “Ah this is really annoying. Who is she?”

“A really pretty girl,” Kai said and then shrugged when he received a scowl. “I’m just telling you what I see.”

Taemin couldn’t stay mad at Kai for long. They were past the days of holding grudges. “You’re right. I’ll come back soon. Maybe when she sees me again she won’t run off this time.”

Kai nodded. “Alright, we should head back anyway. I don’t think your brother is going to like you being late for dinner.”

Dinner, Taemin remembered and he sighed from the utter burden. “Ah you’re right we should hurry. You’re invited tonight.”

“Wow really? Thanks friend.” Kai’s face brightened at the thought of food. The two started their staggered climb back up, gripping onto tree roots if they started to slip. Taemin made sure to memorise this place. He would be back soon and when he was he would seek her out even if it meant shooting her companions.

 




 

Soon after the two had left, the animals gathered just at the front of the house. “Ah thank goodness they’re gone.” The bird said. “You two didn’t help much.”

“Hey I was helpful.” The lizard responded while crawling off the tree; its scales the same shade as the bark. He turned to the buck, “but he wasn’t.”

“I did more than you!” The young deer protested in return. “I tried to kill him; you just sat on his foot you ugly lizard!”

“I’m a chameleon get your information right!”

The bird groaned as the other two animals started to argue. There was a creak as the front door opened. All the commotion came to a halt. After looking in both directions the girl came out. She spoke softly, her voice trembling.
“D-did he leave?”

Her animal companions nodded. “Yes Naeun, who was he by the way?” The chameleon asked, appearing to think. “He did look familiar somehow.”

The bird agreed. “I think… I think I’ve seen him before.”

“You have?” The buck and chameleon said in unison before glaring each other down. This was one of the rare times that they agreed on something. The bird flapped its wings and landed on the girls’ shoulder.  It started preening itself. The chameleon grew impatient. “Yah I know you’re a girl and all but when did you see him before?”

“In the papers, his older brother is heir to the throne if I’m correct. That means he is a prince.”

The other two turned to each other in awe. They couldn’t believe it. Even Naeun found it hard to comprehend. She carefully the bird on the head with a finger. “D-do you think he’ll come back?”

“Yes Chorong do you think he’ll return?” The chameleon agreed with the buck just nodding. The bird lifted her wings up slightly in a funny sort of shrug.

This fired up the other two with determination. “Alright we are to keep an eye on you every single moment of the day.”

“Key isn’t that a little bit—“

“—he’s right,” the buck in stopping Chorong from talking. “Naeun cannot have strange guys come after her if she is to set herself and us free. We should choose for her.”

“Choose what big brother?” Naeun asked feeling rather confused. He walked over to her to have his back scratched by her.

“Choose who you are to fall in love with. Our Naeun should only fall for the best.”

“Myungsoo you’re being unrealistic,” Chorong scolded him.

The buck, who was in a state of bliss from his itch being relieved didn't share the same thought. “No I’m being serious.”

“That’s a first.”

“What did you say you ugly lizard?!”

“I’M A CHAMELEON!”

 The two males started to bicker again.  Naeun and Chorong both went inside after taking the bird’s advice to start dinner. “They’ll stop when their tummies are full.” Naeun was inclined to agree. Chorong was like a big sister to her or a mother for the time being and she knew that the buck and chameleon both did mean well. They just wanted her happy.

 

A shorter chapter this time if we’re ok with that; I shouldn’t have to ask for comments guys but it looks like I may have to. So tell me where you are from and what attracted you to this story if anything. I look forward to meeting you dear readers