Like a Dream?

The Swan Maiden

Taemin couldn’t contain his frustration as he stomped through the snow. Stopping on occasion he lifted a foot and slammed a boot into the trunk. It shook and he covered his head as there was light snow fall.

“Hey what did that tree do to you?”

Myungsoo’s voice sounded disapproving and Key seemed too cold to care even if he was wrapped in a red scarf like some sort of candy. Taemin brushed his hands and breathed out in a large puff.

“It couldn’t help me find a way to help her.”

“Help who?” Key then realised who he meant. “Oh Naeun well you can if you know who—“

Myungsoo turned his head. “Be quiet. We could get her into more trouble just by talking.” Taemin was soon out of the picture as reptile and mammal bickered.

“I don’t give a darn about whether he knows or not! I’m sick of being a cold blooded creature that nearly freezes to death in the winter.”

“Kim Kibum shut your mouth!”

“Hold on,” Taemin grabbed Key off Myungsoo’s head. Key flinched as the prince brought his face closer to the chameleon. “What did he call you?”

“Kibum,” there was an awkward pause. “Is that ok with your royal angriness? It is my real name after all.”

Taemin almost dropped him. He returned Key who didn’t appear keen to be anywhere near Myungsoo. They watched as something seemed to settle over him. Maybe it was cloud of confusion.
“This… It cannot be…” He glanced at Key who was now Kibum in his mind. “You’re Jonghyun’s friend, chatty Kibum; the flamboyant dresser who apparently wears pink suits?”

“Salmon,” Kibum corrected him while Myungsoo was sniggering in the background. “I guess you didn’t recognise me without my clothes, hair or face.”

This information was still rattling in Taemin’s mind, along with some other assumptions. “B-but… You were supposed to have run off with his fiancé—“

“—that’s rubbish,” Kibum scoffed. “She’s been here all along trapped thanks to his-- oops.” Kibum had to put his tail in his mouth. Myungsoo was shaking his head.

Taemin stared at the buck. “But then what relation do you have to her?”

Myungsoo breathed out heavily as though it was a sigh. “She’s my little sister.”

“WHAT?!”

“Actually it’s a long story.” Myungsoo added. “But you can probably find out about it if you look hard enough.” Taemin was starting to get a clearer picture of what was happening. Somehow, Kibum, Naeun, Myungsoo and Chorong were all connected to Kim Jonghyun. But he had no way of connecting the lines together right then and there.


Naeun stared at her reflection in the ice. Myungsoo trotted over and peered in it whatever way he could by turning his head. “I am sure one handsome buck. Maybe I can find a doe that would fall for me.”

“I doubt it,” was Chorong’s retort. “The fact you can’t speak deer to save your life would probably turn them away.”

“But hey I am strong, handsome right?”

Key scoffed as he walked over. “Oh that is funny, can I laugh Naeun?” She shook her head and the chameleon was disappointed.
“So,” Chorong looked at Naeun. “Do you miss him already?”

“Huh?”

“Do you miss the prince?” To this Naeun nodded. Chorong gently Naeun’s hand with her beak, being careful to not press to hard.
“I’m sure he’ll be back to visit again.” There was a large bang and everyone jumped. Glancing around at each other they finally got a glimpse of the puff of smoke in the further end of the forest.

“What’s he doing here?”

Chorong flew over Key’s head and pecked him as she went. “Never mind that, we should be careful. Remember how he was last time?” However they could not be prepared for the rage he was in.

Storming onto the scene their master stepped harshly on the snow leaving thick prints as he went. His hair was now dark red, reflecting his burning temper. Naeun quickly stood up straight and pushed Myungsoo away. Key and Chorong both took cover behind a tree.
“Is it true what I’ve heard?!”

With her body clammed tight with nerves but not completely speechless Naeun managed to speak. “W-what have you heard—“

“You’ve been unfaithful to me!” The words made Naeun flinch. His nostrils were flaring slightly as he stood there, clenched fists. “After I imprisoned you, demanded for your hand you have gone to the arms of another you wench!”

“Master what makes you think that I—“

He threw something on the ice that landed lightly on the surface. It was the brown bracelet Taemin wore. How did he get his hands on it? “I found this in your lounge room.” She slowly turned towards him. “There’s only one person I know who has this. He’s royalty right?” The expression of his face at the last sentence appeared like he had a bitter taste in his mouth. “I’m only going to say this once. Tell me who it is.”

Naeun said nothing. The animals felt powerless as their master looked ready to tear her to pieces with his glare. After a moment she shook her head. “It doesn’t belong to anyone. I found it in the woods…”

He grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her with much force. “DON’T LIE TO ME!” His voice went a little higher as well as louder. Although scared out of her wits Naeun averted her gaze, perspiration building up from the pressure. Eventually her tormentor stepped back and waved a hand at the frozen lake. “That boy… Do you think he holds the same affections towards you as you do for him?”

She didn’t answer. There was a faint glow underneath the ice as magic began to work. “Here,” he started to say. “Let me show you just where his heart lies.”

The ice revealed a picture. It was of a beach in winter, there was snow close to the sand and the water not as fierce compared to summer or spring. What caught Naeun’s attention were two people sitting on the same rock. There was Taemin and next to him sat Eunji. The two seemed to be having a deep conversation, Naeun couldn’t be unsure. But then the unthinkable happened. Eunji reached over and patted him on the back. The young prince seemed to gush, unable to meet her eyes.

Naeun’s clear eyes became clouded from jealousy and bitterness at what she saw. Her heart ached and she had to stop herself from clutching it and reveal how much her master’s spell was hurting her. The ice shimmered and soon held nothing but her faint reflection and the colour of the cold water. The master gave no comfort as he left. With only herself to comfort her at that moment she clutched the fabric at her but she could not comfort the heavy burden of heartbreak.


“I got here as fast as I could.” Kai said as he sat down opposite Taemin in the library. “I had no idea you would be in here again. You weren’t a keen student in school if I remember correctly.”

“That doesn't matter.” Taemin stated. “I’ve found out something important about Naeun but I need proof which is where I need you.”

Nodding his younger friend seemed already hooked onto his idea. “Ok so what is it about Naeun?”

“I think I know who imprisoned her.” This made Kai scoot in closer. Taemin cleared his throat and then whispered his suspicions. “It’s Kim Jonghyun. He imprisoned her.”

The shock of his words caused Kai to lean back and nearly hitting the floor. “A-Are you serious; b-but how would he? He’s no wizard Taemin!”

“How do we know that?” Taemin counteracted and this made Kai think about it. “We’re not that close with him. His closest friend was Kim Kibum.”

“Do you mean fancy dresser who could be quite haughty if he wanted?”

“Yeah he’s a chameleon.”

“He’s a what—“

“—she has a friend who’s a love bird and her brother Myungsoo is a buck.” Taemin stopped as he saw a lot of the information made his friend give him a rather blank, dumbfounded look. “Anyway I didn’t know he was her brother but that isn’t the point. The point is we need to find out more. Why would he imprison them and curse her? How would he be able to do that?”

They were both confused. Neither of them knew how to find out any proof that Jonghyun was a criminal or in fact a sinister man that was causing Naeun heartache. They both sighed together. Then slow footsteps walked down the tiled floor sounding louder as he or she came closer.

“Taemin, Jongin I didn’t expect you to be in here.” The two boys both stood and bowed to the crown prince as he came over to them. “Don’t let me bother you I was just looking for some reading material.”

Taemin hesitated, turned to Kai and then faced Minho. “Brother, there’s something we need help with.”

Minho knew from the tone in his brother’s voice that something was amiss. “Sure, what do you need? I’ll do my best.”

“Good, but first you have to take a seat.” Taemin pulled out a chair and Minho slowly sat down compared to Kai and Taemin’s fast thumps. His sibling let the words fly out like an attack of clumsy bees. “The girl I like is being kept like a prisoner in a tower near a lake. I think that the person keeping her there is Kim Jonghyun who is an acquaintance of mine and he’s got her brother, his old friend Kibum and a girl called Chorong against their—“

Minho’s raised hand slowed Taemin down. He adjusted his tie. “Let me see if I understand. You think your friend, Kim Jonghyun, son of the Captain of the Police is keeping people trapped against their will?”

“Hold on,” Kai had a fist against his mouth for a moment. He looked at Taemin. “What if… What if Naeun was his fiancé? That would explain why he’s keeping her trapped.”

Taemin had never thought of this but it was a rather heavy kick to his self-esteem. Kim Jonghyun, a womaniser at times, smooth with his talk and his singing. He could not compete with such a man. Naeun may have grown feelings for him before he even came into her life. The thoughts brought scenes and with it imagery that looked so real he thought he would be sick.

Minho looked closer at Taemin. “Are you ok?”

Taemin started to fan himself. “It’s getting really hot, ah is there some water around I need a drink.” They shook their heads. While he was getting over his obvious heartburn from jealously Minho kept speaking.

“What Jongin said makes sense. It would also make sense why he’s got Kibum there too since I doubt they’ve ever met. But before we can go and knock down the doors of his house with the royal guard we should do some research. Find out more about his past and hers as well.”



I know you guys are probably in agony over the fact some of the juicy truth is only just being revealed. More is coming as we find out Naeun’s past and Jonghyun’s reasons.