Hold my Hand

The Swan Maiden

The two men lay back in their chairs, stomachs almost protruding from the large amount of food they’d consumed. The last lady, the younger sister of a bank owner had been rather quiet and not spoken much during dessert. Then again the princes had gotten quite full from eating plenty of small dishes that night. Minho had to urge Taemin to lead the conversation and even then he didn’t know what to say.

The older brother spoke aloud his thoughts on the night. “That was a disaster.” Minho said with a sigh as the waiters cleared the table for them. He glanced at his younger brother. “Hey aren’t you going to apologise?”

Taemin lifted his head. His cheeks were slightly pink from having consumed a few glasses of wine and not eating much from nerves. “Apologise for doing what brother?”

“For not making an effort to get along with any of them,” Minho answered sitting up. “Even when it was Eunji you talked too comfortably like friends instead of the possibility of being betrothed.”

“What was I supposed to do brother?!” Taemin got out of his seat as he started to speak louder. His tipsy state caused him to react more aggressively than if he had been sober and annoyed.
“Pretend to be distant when we know each other better than that?! She is more of a friend if anything so I’m not going to pretend it can be more than that!”

Minho slammed a fist on the table. A cup rolled onto its side, the plates shook. Taemin stared at him, his mouth closing shut. The room was still enough after the staff had decided to leave the two alone for a moment. When he had gotten control of his emotions Minho removed his hand, brushing it against his trousers. “Forgive me brother; that was not necessary.”

In his heart Taemin had but he didn’t voice it to him. He made a quick bow out of courtesy. “I think I’m going to retire to my room. Good night.” Minho watched his brother quickly walk away, bending his neck up and down. His steps were a little more unstable from the alcohol but he didn’t look as though he would fall over.

Sinking back into his chair Minho glanced around the room. In the corner on a dresser was a large painting resting on the side. In the picture he stood with shorter hair in a red jacket, behind a girl with black hair, dressed in cream with a hair ornament who sat on a stool. His hand was over her shoulder holding hers. They weren’t looking at each other but they seemed blissful in being close to each other.

“What would you say if you were here?”

The portrait said nothing back but her smooth pink, painted smile seemed to reassure him that even if she wasn’t there, she was still alive in his memory.

 

The next morning Taemin woke with a sore head. He felt guilty for how he’d lashed out at his brother for nothing. Going to his bathroom he splashed water on his face and brushed his teeth before searching for something to wear. Soon he would have to face the music at the breakfast table.

Surprisingly when he did enter the dining rooms there was no sign of Minho. When he had seated he asked the waiter about his brother’s whereabouts.
“No your highness he’s still asleep. Apparently his highness had a rough night so we were told to let him sleep.”

Taemin had a sip of his water. “What happened? Was it a nightmare?”

“That’s what the rumours say your highness; however they may differ greatly from the actual truth. What they say is that he still dreams of her, pleasant or not. He dreams of the one he loved dearly and who loved him back.”

It was a horrible thought but Taemin had never grasped the thought that his brother would still be tormented over the whereabouts of his fiancée. As it sank in he just nodded, remorse and sympathy clouding his face. He needed to be more considerate of Minho and try to see where his point of view was coming from.

Taemin didn’t eat a lot during breakfast. His stomach was a little unsettled from last night and he wasn’t sure whether he would be sick or not. When the waiter returned to gather the plates Taemin caught his attention. “How is the weather today?”

“It looks as though it will be fine your highness. Autumn is rather warm this year.”

Taemin nodded. “Thank you for that.” Going to his room he sat down and thought of to say. He had been away from Naeun long enough. It was time to make right the wrong that had been committed.

  

“The water looks really nice today.” Key stated they watched Naeun as a swan swim on the lake. “It’s a pity that I cannot swim otherwise I would be in there with her.”

Chorong saw the mischievous sparkle in Myungsoo’s eyes too late. “Here let me give you a hand.”

“HEY!” Key screamed digging his claws into the earth as Myungsoo tried to nudge him into the water. The chameleon’s weight was not enough against the young deer three times his size. He made a small splash.

Chorong fluttered up in the air, squawking at Myungsoo. “Get him out of there now! He can’t swim he’ll drown.”

“He’ll be fine--”

“Like hell I am!” Key’s head broke the surface and he flailed in the water. “Pull me out before these fish eat me—AH WHAT WAS THAT?!” Chorong quickly glided towards Naeun, fluttering near her friend’s eye level.

“Help us! Key’s in the water thanks to Myungsoo! He’ll drown if we don’t hurry.” Naeun squawked and quickly turned, swimming rapidly to where Key bobbed, waving his legs around. Bending her long neck she reached for him with her beak and placed him on dry land. He turned a bright red the moment he saw Myungsoo.

“You… I’ll… I’ll… I’LL KILL YOU!” The buck galloped away fast as Key hurried after him. While those two were running all over the place Naeun lifted her head to the sky. In between the trees the sun was starting to go down.

“Naeun it’s setting earlier.” Chorong commented. “That is good for you.”

Still glancing at the array of orange and pink streaks Naeun nodded. “Yes, unless it cannot be seen when it sets.” The familiar glow started to come around her. Chorong fluttered away before it got too bright. Key and Myungsoo were now coming back to the lake. The deer nursed a leg which had a bite mark near the hoof.

Taemin made it to the bottom of the hill just as the sphere of light covered Naeun. He covered his eyes from the intense glow. “Naeun is that you?” Naeun lifted her head, surprised at hearing his voice. Her feet suddenly dropped into the water and she went under, dress and all.

“Naeun,” Taemin ran over to her frantically, chucking his hat away. He waded in with his shoes still on, eyes focusing Naeun who was submerged. Key crawled under the bowler’s hat.

Myungsoo and Chorong watched, worried as Taemin took Naeun’s hand. She resurfaced completely drenched; her eyes wide from the surprise, hair all around her sitting completely straight. He carefully placed an arm around her as he led her back to the grass. They sat on the grass, Taemin’s wet body up to his waist a great contrast against completely saturated Naeun.

“My, that hasn’t happened before.” Chorong said hopping over to Naeun who was wringing out her hair. “Are you alright Naeun?” She nodded, still squeezing out as much as she could.

Taemin watched her. “You still look pretty,” He commented. This got glares from Myungsoo and Chorong.

Out of the blue the hat started moving towards them; they jumped. “Who looks pretty?” A voice said underneath. “I can’t see a thing.” After realising who it was Taemin smirked as he retrieved his hat.

“It is to see you again Key.” Key said nothing back. Myungsoo came beside Naeun, grabbing the edge of her sleeve with his mouth.  He twisted it in his grip and bit hard, water dripping out.

Taemin glanced at Naeun. Taking a handful of her skirt he started to wring it out. “I’m sorry for startling you like that.” There was a pause. “That is why I came today. I wanted to apologise for how I acted back then. It was rather childish of me.”

Naeun didn’t meet his eyes, choosing to focus on his shoulders. “Why can’t you look at me?” Taemin queried, lowering his head to try and gaze directly at her face. “We aren’t still awkward with each other are we?”

“N-no we…” Naeun tried to lie but Taemin noticed it immediately. “You don’t trust me do you?” To that she just made a nod. He breathed out. Although it was disappointing he knew it was his fault for causing her to do so.

“Do you think any of us should trust you?” Key quipped. “She told you the truth. Do you know how hard it has been for her to say that to anyone other than us who are already involved?”

Taemin stared at him and then at her. “I honestly had no—“

“Of course not; you are just coming here for the thrill of something different from your boring palace life. Based on what we heard from Chorong who went to visit—“

“Wait,” Taemin interrupted in a stupor eyeballing the lovebird. “Chorong went to the palace?”

“I only sat outside on the window sill but I saw what happened in the dining hall. You had three meals with three women. You were served several appetisers, a few dishes for main course and a two dish dessert with the last one.” Chorong chirped.

Naeun’s face fell. She moved away from Taemin, turning her head down to focus on something else; wringing out the rest of her skirt.
“You see,” Key snapped. “To you she’s just another girl isn’t she?! I don’t think you really consider Naeun’s feelings at all! “

“Key—“
 
Taemin stopped Myungsoo from speaking. He shut his mouth tightly, glancing at his other companions. Taemin breathed out again and faced the chameleon that was starting to go dark red.

“He’s right,” Taemin agreed as his eyes drifted back to Naeun. “Meeting you, finding this place; it has been an exciting journey for me to make once a week for the past months. It broke up the routine I’d had to live with for the past twenty one years of my life.” He stopped as the others started expressing their displeasure. “But that has changed.”

Naeun stopped, hands still clutching the damp fabric. “I want to help you all. I want to help you become who you really are, beast or not. Because isn’t that what a prince is meant to do? Help the people in the kingdom.”
 
Taemin Wiped his hand on his other sleeve he reached for Naeun’s. Myungsoo squeaked in surprise, Chorong chirped and Key’s scales went pink. Naeun brought up her head to Taemin, only just giving him slight, shy eye contact.

“Naeun, what I did was wrong. I want to make amends with you; with everyone here. Will you forgive me and let me help you?”

Her hand was starting to get sweaty but Taemin kept his gentle yet firm grip. Swallowing hard as she noticed her heart thump loudly Naeun sought out her friends. Chorong and Myungsoo nodded, Key mouthed something to her.

“Alright,” Naeun agreed. Taemin smiled in relief letting go. Before he noticed she moved her arm behind and gave him a push. He fell face forward into the water. Standing up he was now wet all over.

“Hey what was that for?!” Naeun and the others laughed. Eventually he too joined in their amusement. While she was still laughing Taemin bent down and started to splash Naeun.

“What are you doing?” However she lost her surprise and joined his water fight, shoving water back at him. They kept at it, playing like children. During the battle of the splashes Chorong got some of the spray and flew behind Myungsoo in shelter.

“Boys whose idea was it?!”

“It was mine,” Key declared smugly. “I told her to push him. I’m surprised she actually did it!” Chorong and Myungsoo exchanged wary glances and then continued to watch Naeun and Taemin. The past truly had been forgiven and forgotten. The prince was back in their circle once more.




This chapter was fun to write again so I hope you got a thrill from it too.