I was Once by Your Side

The Swan Maiden

The snow was falling and touching the windows before sliding down in cold trails. Naeun traced words on the glass. Taemin’s name was the one she drew the most. Myungsoo and Chorong were by the table having a break while Key had positioned himself closest to the fire.

“Oh Naeun,” everyone jumped. It was their master’s voice. It was not super deep but not too high either. Key swore and the others quickly darted out the door as the man himself entered. His yellow hair was parted in the middle which just appeared like an unusual style for him.

In his iron grey suit he swept over to her and picked up one of her hands. “Tell me how my fair Naeun is today?” She stared at the floor. He squeezed her hand.

“Naeun, I asked you a question. I expect an answer.”

“I’m fine master…”

He laughed. “Master, that’s such a bland title. I have a name you know, why not call me by that instead or ‘darling.’”

She could only make a rather strange expression between an unhappy face and a smile. “Oh ok,” was all she told him.

“You know Naeun that in two weeks will be the one year anniversary of my declaration.” He said releasing her hand and standing close, using an arm to hold her by the waist. “Do you remember how I asked you?”

Naeun nodded. “Y-you built a snowman and then you sang to me.”

“What was on the snowman?”

“A scarf with the ring tied onto one of the tassels.” She answered, nervous from his breath against the side of her head. To save her from freaking out she imagined Taemin was the one holding her. It was fortunate that he stood around the same height as her master.

He lowered his head closer to her. “Naeun, my love; you know my blood type is that of the devil’s. Both impatient and brutally honest it’s a surprise that type B is more detested than my AB.” When she did not speak he moved more towards her neck. Sensing this Naeun flinched and pulled away from him.

His eyes appeared to darken to black, his hair slowly changing to orange and then to red to match his mood. “You dare to resist me?”

“I-I can’t master.” Naeun stuttered. “I-I have no experience with this…”

“Did you forget that before I realised my feelings for you that I wooed a many a women? All young, pretty girls that probably had nothing but their looks to give me since someone had gained first serve?” Naeun’s cheeks went slightly red at his reference to girls no longer innocent. Her master came closer and grabbed her by the head. He tried to place a kiss on her however she wiggled out of his reach. This was the final straw. “You are a foolish girl!” He yelled, “How dare you resist me? Are you really not in love with me?!”

She could not speak. Her tongue had become glued to the bottom of . He glared at her, all kindness that could have been once shown in his gaze now drowned at the bottom of the storm within. “Tell me is it true? What reason do you have to not love me? What did I do that made you—oh…?” He stopped, grasping her chin. “Maybe it’s not me. Maybe it’s something else.” Naeun swallowed hard, afraid of what he was going to say.

“Maybe… You’ve been unfaithful to me.” Naeun froze. Seeing her helpless caused a smug smile from him. “Ah, it is. You are falling for another. That face tells me exactly what I suspected. You wench.” He said the end part with clenched teeth. The door creaked as the animals peered around to check what was happening. They saw Naeun with her head down and their master watching her, only seeing a glimpse of his angry face.

“Does he come here? How long has he been visiting you for? What does he look like? Is he younger or older than me huh?!” When she stayed quiet he only got more and more enraged. Reaching out to the table just next to them he picked up a cup and threw it on the ground, smashing into tiny, porcelain fragments. Naeun kept her eyes glued to one spot from sheer fear.

“Do you know what will happen if you see him again?!” His voice didn’t roar but the menacing tone kept her terrified. Bending down he picked up a piece of the broken cup holding it in his palm. He clenched it in his fist and drew blood which trickled through the small space between his thumb and finger. Suddenly there was a puff of smoke and he opened his hand, revealing black, charred ash that had once been a white, durable material.

Naeun felt tears come to her as she stood in her spot, unable to move. He dusted his hands off; surprisingly there was no sign of the cut or blood. Turning to make his coat swing around he walked off, brushing past the animals that were now slowly trailing back in, tails between their legs. Naeun cried, the drops falling onto the floor. She felt something nudge her shoulder and Myungsoo looked up at her. Despite her tearful face Naeun made a somewhat brave smile. Chorong perched on her shoulder and Key nudged her on the hand like a cat would when purring. Myungsoo nuzzled Naeun with his nose, none of them speaking as they held her in their own way.

Taemin’s Christmas was bittersweet. As much as he and Minho had been relieved to see their parents again after having them away for months on end he had missed Naeun badly that the Jung’s couldn’t help wonder if their food was making him ill.

Eventually when they returned a month later as expected he couldn’t spend more than an hour in his room before he had to pull on some boots, a scarf and a thick coat to go and see her; the girl whose beauty had not changed even in the form of a swan.

“Where are you going?” His father asked as they passed each other in the corridor. Taemin paused. He couldn’t lie because the king knew how to read people easily. The best thing for this situation was to be as honest as he could without revealing much.

“J-just on a walk, if that is alright with you,” he slowly added to make sure he wasn’t appearing to be rebellious.

“Very well,” his father said with a slight nod. “Will you be catching up with your friends, who are they; Choi Minho, Jongin and Jonghyun?”

Taemin didn’t know how to react. His face must have flashed some guilt but it would be foolish to try and add onto it. “Um, yeah they’ll probably be there.”

The king dismissed him, warned him to not get caught by the public and to come home before too late. Taemin managed to agree and was on his way. He would explain Naeun to his parents and brother when the right time came. That is if ever.

In the cold, a breeze whipped him with force that he had to wrap his scarf around his face to try and combat the low temperature. Everything looked the same in the snow. How would he know he was on the right route? After a while he paused, becoming slightly bewildered at the sight of white tree after white tree.

He became so disorientated by the landscape he slipped and nearly tumbled down the hill towards where Naeun lived. It had been found. Standing up and rubbing his hand to warm them he went around to where it was not as steep and slowly came down, clinging onto exposed tree roots and the flimsy branches of bushes.

Running around the lake Taemin glanced around to see if Naeun was outside. Of course she wasn’t, even if she had feathers during the day it was not a suitable season for swans. Going to the front door he knocked. Placing both hands in his pockets he paused and became worried. Would she want a gift? Why hadn’t he prepared something for her?

Before he could chide himself there was trotting and the door was opened by Myungsoo, holding the handle in his teeth.
“Umm,” Taemin was taken aback by not seeing her. “Can I see Naeun?”

Myungsoo stared him up and down. A noise from behind caused him to turn his head back. After he had listened he gave the prince full attention. “No you can’t. This isn’t a good time.”

Disappointed all Taemin could do was just resign. “Ah I see. Can you let her know I came?”

“Sure, your majesty,” the buck responded before quickly closing the door. Taemin turned to leave. It seemed a little out of the blue that Naeun would not want to see him. It was out of his hands though so he would try again next week, maybe her mood would be better.

 

“Umm,” Key stared at the prince almost afraid he would get stepped on. “The thing is—“

“How can it be the wrong time?” Taemin cut him off. “That’s what Myungsoo told me! Don’t tell me she’s still sick like Chorong was saying.” He was itching to place his heel on the chameleon’s head. “It’s the middle of February. Her birthday has passed and she won’t let me see her! What is the truth?!”

Key scoffed and appeared to roll his eyes but they did two revolutions instead of one. “You idiot I was going to tell you if you would shut up.” The prince glared at him. Key didn’t back down. “She-does-not-want-to-see-you,” he said sounding out all the syllables painfully slow. “So get out.”

“No,” Taemin was just as peeved. “As your prince I order you to bring her to me.”

“You could be the king of my and I still would say no.”

“BRING HER OUT BEFORE I CRUSH YOU AND USE YOUR SCALES AS THE SOLES FOR MY SHOES!” That got Key running for the hills. The door swung almost shut but Taemin caught it with his foot before he was closed out again. There was a lot of commotion from the sounds of it from the other side. Taemin realised that he had a right to be suspicious. And he had been darn patient ever since it had begun.

After a few minutes Key appeared at the door again, his scales a pale blue, a depressing blue. He moved away as the door was opened revealing Naeun’s face to him for the first time in six weeks. The sight made him exhale from shock. She looked as though she hadn’t been eating much and the bright spark in her eyes was gone. Her black dress caused her complexion to appear paler.

Never did Taemin want her in his arms. She stared up at him. “Taemin please…” Her voice was quiet. “Please just leave.”

Even she wanted him to go. Taemin felt the blow take the breath out of him. “Naeun what is going on?”

“Please leave.” She turned to go, her hand still on the handle of the door. Taemin took immediate action and slammed his hand against the wood, pushing back. He heard her voice shaking as she spoke again.
“Taemin…” That was it. He now had the drive to take action. The door swung inwards and the two faced each other. Her eyes was now wet, glistening painfully back at him. He regretted how harsh his voice had sounded before. She didn’t need to be scolded or questioned firmly.

In her eyes Naeun watched his face fall and soften upon the sight of her. He still had some resentment in him from having been rejected several times on end.
“Naeun, what is the matter? Why do you not want to see me? Have I done something to upset you?” He couldn’t hide the desperation that was flooding through his tone. The young boy within was yearning for answers.

Naeun shook her head. She dared not say anything in case she started crying. It was hard to face him because of the tears. Taemin watched her bite her lip and knew why he was feeling torn up inside as well. The animals weren’t there to interfere, but what stood between them seemed to be this invisible wall. So with a deep breath he stepped forward breaking through.

He took Naeun before she could react. Standing in front of her he had her in his arms, a hug different from their first. This one was a sombre embrace. He saw she was hurting and just wanted to protect her.

Naeun’s heart raced and her mind went blank. His embrace was unlike that of her brother’s or her father’s. It was the hug of a man who was no relation. A man who had no reason to associate himself with her but did. It was the hug of someone who seemed at a loss like she did for different reasons.

Taemin pulled away slightly, still holding her. “I’ll make things right Naeun.” He told her. “So you won’t have to hide away from me.” The determination was rising in him. She lowered her arms as he left quickly, no longer irked, just driven to bringing about a solution and fast.

I watched the last Taeun ep today ;A; man that messed with my emotions in a way I think I’ll quit We Got Married now, the show’s just too painful to keep repeating the same basic format.