Clue

The Swan Maiden

“Ah this is much better.” Taemin said as he and Naeun sat inside with blankets around themselves, drying by the fire. “If I came home with a cold my brother would get suspicious.”

“Yes he would be,” Naeun agreed nodding. “But won’t he be worried about you?” Taemin shook his head.

“He’s probably still thinking about his fiancé…” That brought up something causing him to sit upright. He leaned in his seat to the side, facing Naeun who was turned as well. “That reminds me, your friend Chorong… Do you know her family name?”

“No, she never mentioned it to me why?”

“It’s just…” He stopped cutting short what he was going to say. “It’s nothing I’m thinking too much into it.”

“No,” Naeun was abrupt for once which surprised Taemin. “Y-you can share it if it’s important.”


Taemin found himself taken back. Why did she care about what he wanted to say? If he didn’t think it mattered then how come it mattered to her? There was only one way to find out. So he spoke it out.
“I guess it’s just… The fact your lovebird is called Chorong and my brother’s fiancé. I just thought it was a strange coincidence that is all.”

Naeun didn’t speak. Her mind was thinking inwardly. Taemin was going to ask what she was thinking about when the others entered. “Soup’s ready if you’re hungry your majesty.” Chorong said. Standing up Taemin took off his blanket now dry from before.

“Thank you but I should be leaving. I’ll see you soon Naeun.” She stood up and bowed to him going to the window to watch him after he went down the stairs and out. He spun around and waved, she returned the motion with a small smile.

The animals all gathered around Naeun. “Why did he want to leave? Was he not happy?” Before they could come up with some other possibilities the expression Naeun was giving them caused other questions to arise.

“What happened?”

“I think… He’s starting to learn the truth.” There was a gasp from Key, Myungsoo stared at his sister and Chorong chirped.
“Does he know who I am?” She asked on the verge of anticipation and nervousness.

Naeun shook her head. “No but he asked about your family name.” Chorong had to take a seat on the arm of the chair. Naeun didn’t know why she was worried. “Sister, isn’t this good? Doesn’t it mean he can help us if he knows?” Chorong looked at Naeun with her small black eyes, fear evident in them.
“But Minho he… He thinks I’m dead.”


“Rat-a-tap-tap,” a haughty voice called from the bottom of the tower. Naeun and the others froze. Myungsoo went to check at the window slowly. He peered out and then looked at the others in panic.

“It’s him, not the prince but him!” Chorong and Key glanced at Naeun who had lost some of the colour from her face. She quickly rose and hurried down the stairs to open the door. He stood there in a black suit, his hair lighter in colour almost white from how blonde it was. He had his arms out to her but she didn’t step into them. Once he noticed a rather dark expression gathered on his face.


They went up the stairs into the area everyone was in. The animals ran for cover, hiding behind the chairs and out of sight. Their guest stood with his hands folded.
“Naeun, I was keen to visit you. However it appears you do not seem to share the same notion.”

“F-forgive me master,” she began by bowing to try and soothe his mood. “I was just about to eat dinner. W-would you like some soup?”

“Hmm,” he glanced around the room. “So your zoo has buggered off?” Naeun didn’t answer. She kept her head down and served a bowl for him, gripping her wrist to steady the trembling. When she was done she placed the bowl at a place at the table. He sat down, picking up the spoon and had a sip.

“Mmm, you’re going to be a fine wife one day Naeun. Your cooking has improved since I last visited.” Key stuck his tongue out in disgust at the compliment and Chorong warned him with one look.

Naeun sat opposite him, eating in a slow manner. She lifted her gaze for one moment and found he was staring back. Embarrassed she dropped her eyes.
“So you’re still embarrassed to be around me. That is a shame Naeun since we’re going to become very close within a matter of time.” Naeun swallowed, biting the edge of her lip. Myungsoo wanted to come out and confront the man but Chorong silently urged him to hold back.

“So tell me Naeun… How do you feel about me? Are you ready to put down the walls you’ve built up and open your heart to me?”

The animals all held their breath. The guest glanced around the room again before facing Naeun. “Why are you so quiet tonight? Every time I visit you I ask you the same question and every time you are like this.” He tipped his bowl sending soup onto the table which spilled down on the floor. Standing up he turned and started to storm off down the stairs. Naeun searched the room and saw Chorong.

“Go after him,” she chirped with some terror in her tone. Naeun heaved a nervous breath and picked up the edge of her skirts to follow after him.

She ran out of the open door towards him not caring about the lower temperature now that winter was close at hand. “Master, wait please! Don’t be angry with me let me explain…”

 He turned around instantly almost head butting her. “I’m a very impatient man Naeun! You’ve been imprisoned for ten months and you still refuse to speak a single word regarding the condition of your heart! How much longer must I keep you trapped in order for me to hear one word from you about that?!”

She shook her head. “That isn’t so Master! I will tell you how I feel right now if you wish.” He stopped, facing her with great interest.

“Ok then, you can tell me then Naeun; how do you feel about me?”

“I umm….” She felt intimidated by his gaze; although some found it charismatic he was rather scary to her. “I don’t feel anything for you master. I’m sorry.”

He stood there facing her. Naeun started to shrink inwards as his eyes started to blaze. His hair changed from blonde to a vibrant red and rippled like it was on fire. After a moment he lifted his hand and flung it hard against her cheek. The action made a loud noise and Naeun crumbled to the grass.

“Foolish girl,” he spat before snapping his fingers and disappearing in a puff of grey clouds. Chorong flew over to Naeun as the others came to be with her.

“Naeun, Naeun are you alright? Does it really hurt?”

Even with her eyes full of tears Naeun shook her head and held her cheek with both hands. Myungsoo nudged her head affectionately as Chorong sat nearby, Key curling up next to her, his scales now a pale blue to reflect how sorry he was feeling.

 

“Thank you so much.” Taemin paid the taxi driver and gave him an extra tip. “You won’t regret this I promise.” As the vehicle drove off the prince checked the sky. He was about an hour late after the sunset and since winter was close it meant that the sun would be setting a lot earlier than before.

Pulling his coat collar up he briskly went through the woods, using a simple lantern to find his way amongst the dense landscape of trees losing their leaves, the greenery faded since he first came there at the end of July.

When he arrived at the lake he noticed a shape on the ground near the tower. Peering closer he saw Naeun sitting there with the animals close. All of a sudden he had a strong sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach and he made himself run to them.

He got closer and found that he had every right to be worried, “hey what happened?!”

Chorong gave her other animal companions a look and they slowly moved away. Taemin gave his hand to Naeun and she stood still holding the place of impact. He glanced over her face, her eyes red and glistening.
“Naeun, what happened? Why are you hiding your cheek?” He tried to move her hand away but she leaned away. She then with some reluctance moved it on her own will.

The red mark was obvious. Taemin’s heart sank. “Who would do such thing to you?”

 

“I’m fine it doesn’t really hurt anymore.” Although she was bravely smiling the way her eyes began to pool proved her pain. As she dabbed her eyes Taemin patted her on the back lightly, not sure how else to comfort her.

“Should we change the subject? Naeun how is the spell broken?”
 

Naeun never thought he would ask. She only wished that her eyes weren’t as puffy from crying. Lowering her head away from him she spoke softly. “… I-I have to love them…”

“Love them?”

“A-And they have to love me back…” She said with some difficulty. “It has to be confessed a loud.”

Taemin couldn’t believe it. “Is that it? You just have to love someone?” He started to move away. “Wait here I’ll get your parents.”

Naeun stared at him stunned. “Bring my parents?”

He nodded to explain his point further. “Yes, so you can tell them you love them and that they love you too.”

And then she understood. The surprise she had just before had gone and she just faced him bleakly. “Taemin, it’s not that kind of love. It’s the kind that a man and a woman have alone.”

The prince raised his eyebrows in doubt. “Are you sure?” She assured him of this. He understood and sighed in wonder. “I need to talk to this, captor of yours. Naeun tell me their name.” She said nothing. He placed his hands on her shoulder.

“Naeun, look at me, please look at me.” Slowly but steadily Naeun did just this. The moment was poignant as they looked at the other. “Please tell me who did this to you and your friends.”

Naeun breathed in and out. “It was… It was—“

In an instant a bright light surrounded her. Taemin turned his head away but she slipped out of his grip in a hurry. Still covering his gaze his body moved as she splashed into the water.
“Naeun,” he called out to her as the transformation happened. Moments later there was the black swan. Shocked, stunned and stricken with hurt by what he saw Taemin crouched down towards the water.
“Naeun, Naeun talk to me,” Taemin begged. She opened but what came out were squawks. Naeun turned her head away and she flew away to the other end of the lake.

Taemin saw Chorong, Key and Myungsoo who looked miffed. “Why did she transform like that; what just happened?!”

“It’s part of the spell.” Key began.

“It’s part of the spell?” Taemin asked echoing Key’s answer.

Myungsoo and Chorong nodded. “She cannot say the name of the person who did this to us. Otherwise she will transform and lose the ability to talk.”

Taemin spun around, his eyes glued helplessly onto Naeun who had tucked her head in. “For how long?” He questioned still staring at the swan.

“It will last until she transforms back into a human again which won’t be…” Myungsoo paused as he tried to figure it out. “Tomorrow afternoon.”

Taemin stood there lost for words. The more he watched Naeun on the lake hiding away from them he felt anguish at being the cause of the transformation. She truly had gone through a lot and instead of being any help he had made it worse. But now it gave him a stronger drive to find a way to redeem her and her friends from their stronghold. It was a stronghold of scales, fur or even feathers.


 

What an exciting chapter yes?