The Steps towards you

The Swan Maiden

Naeun clung to the window sill as she overlooked the lake and the small part of the forest that was her scenery.  She had no idea her companions had come into the room and were now watching her.
“She’s been there for an hour… Do you think we should try and move her?”

The chameleon almost got his tail trampled on. “Key don’t,” Chorong warned as she was perched on one of Myungsoo’s horns. “She needs her space and we have to respect that.”

“We have done. For the last eleven months…” The other two both turned to Key. They seemed to be staring at him.

“Has it been that long already?”

“What do you think you dumb buck?” Key snapped causing Myungsoo to make a noise that caught Naeun’s attention. Still holding onto the sill she had her eyes wide.

“You surprised me, is the meat ready?”

Chorong disagreed. “No Key was meant to be keeping an eye on it.” Key muttered something to himself which Chorong paid no attention to. “Myungsoo and I were just making sure that you were feeling alright.”

Naeun’s face lifted from seeing her companions’ earnest concern for her wellbeing. Patting her shoulder with an arm Chorong flew across the room and landed there, her claws digging slightly in the fabric covering the area.

“It’s alright; you don’t need to watch me. After all I am twenty years old. Next year I will be an adult and able to be independent.”

“That is what we’re afraid of,” Myungsoo said slightly crestfallen. “You’ve been here for so long we’re afraid you’re not going to see the world the way you remember it to be.”

If there was one thing that made Naeun’s heart ache was the knowledge of her current plight. Chorong squawked at Myungsoo who bowed his head down, scratching the wood in the doorway. 
“He’s right,” the bird did her best to soothe over the situation. “We just want what is best for you. We haven’t given up hope that you will escape before another year passes.”

“Yes we’ll just hook that prince into falling madly in love with you.”

“That will not work!”

Key glared at Myungsoo with his large lids narrowing over his revolving eyes. “How do you know that? You are dumb enough to be used as a hat stand!”

“Because I don’t think she’s his type you ugly dragon!”

“I SAID I AM A CHAMELEON!” The two started tumbling around, or more rather Myungsoo tried to pull Key off his back who was using his tongue to hang on for dear life.

Chorong came off Naeun’s shoulder and flapped in the air away from her face. “We should make sure the meat doesn’t overcook. I’m sure the most damage will be Myungsoo poking Key in the side and then Key covering his eyes!”

Naeun followed after Chorong, stepped lightly over Myungsoo while he was down and carefully climbed the stairs to the bottom. Most of the time she thought over things in her mind and not in the open like others did. She was wondering about Myungsoo’s statement. What was the princes’ type? Why was she not it?

Better yet; if he really was not interested in her then why his wholehearted request?




The car trip from Seoul to the outer edge of Kwangju was a long and bumpy trip. Minho leaned forward in his seat to look at Taemin. His little brother was leaning against the door of the vehicle using it as an awkward pillow to sleep.

Reaching over he grabbed some of the skin between his digits and pressed hard. Taemin woke up with a yell, a red mark now on his cheek. “Brother, what was that for?!”

“You’ll get a stiff neck if you sleep like that.” Taemin looked at where he had laid his head. “If you have wanted somewhere to sleep you should have asked for my shoulder.”

Taemin raised his eyebrows at his brother. “You never offered your shoulder to me before. Why now? Are you feeling ill brother? Is it because mother and father are not around?”

Minho let out a smile with a breath. “Ah really now, do you think that I am some sort of cold hearted prince who doesn’t care for his little brother?”

“You could have fooled me.” Taemin was good at provoking. Minho tried to grab Taemin in a headlock and the two messed around like that for a while, both breathless at the end but neither of them displeased at the other.

Kwangju was situated towards the southern part of Korea and was inland the nearest suburb to them was Kumsong. It had rural areas and the city was being developed.  That was where the Jungs came in. Their family was in charge of the building being done and their oldest son was a well-established prosecutor in the area as well as a rather wealthy son.

Hours later they pulled outside a two storey house with a small staircase leading up inside. It was made of stone, the two layer white with the rest of the building kept in its natural hue.

Waiting outside were the two children. Despite it being late at night neither of them appeared tired. The height distance between them was more distinct than it was with the Lee brothers. Yunho at a staggering six ft 5 towered over his younger sister who was just past four ft.

Yunho was in a neatly pressed beige suit with a pocket watch in his pocket. Eunji looked like a soft daisy in her off white dress with the white gloves and hair in a bun. The two elder siblings greeted each other.

“You look a lot younger since we last met.” Minho said with a smirk.

Yunho laughed before whimsically replying back. “The opposite for you my younger friend,” Yunho soon greeted Taemin and the younger returned the greeting a little stiffly.

“It’s good to see you,” Taemin said.

“Yes same you’ve really grown Taemin.” Yunho told him with a smile. “You probably don’t recognise Eunji now. She’s really grown from the tomboy you remember.”

“—ah brother knock it off,” Eunji nudged him in the side, her brashness coming out with her accent.

Minho looked at her closely. “But he’s right Eunji.” Now Taemin remembered her clearly. The only memory he had of her made him burst in a big cheeky grin.

“You used to wear your brother’s trousers didn’t you?”

“What? I didn’t,” Eunji glanced up at her brother who was guffawing loudly. “I don’t remember brother.”

Yunho started to nod when he’d caught his breath again. “He’s right, you used to,” Minho agreed still amused. “You had to roll them up because they were so long.”

“But Taemin used to borrow his mother’s lipstick right?” Eunji’s question made the two brothers focus on a new target. He was very concerned. “I don’t remember much but I think you tried to apply it on one of your friends—“

Taemin now remembered. He clapped his hands with a giggle. “—ah I remember now. That was Kibum, and we were celebrating my seventeenth birthday.”

Now they were all laughing loudly again. It got to a point where they held their stomachs. “Ah good memories,” Yunho said wiping his eyes. “Come inside before you fall asleep on the road.”

“Thank you,” Minho said. “We’ll be only stay for a few days if that is alright.”

“Of course; since you’re not only the crown prince but our dear friends then you are welcome to stay as long as you wish.”


 


Hi it was longer but my friend who read the chapter before said nothing much happens so I just deleted some. The next chapter will be more exciting I promise :D