Spoiler

The Swan Maiden

Naeun couldn’t face Taemin as she answered him. “It’s because… They were trying to protect me.”

He peered closer at her while Naeun lowered her eyes becoming shy. Taemin wanted to mention how cute she looked when she did that. “They were trying to protect you?” Without hesitation Naeun confirmed this. Breathing out he thought it over and then smirked.

“That’s really funny,” he said.

Naeun just looked at him bewildered. “This is fun; I’m sorry to ruin the joke. You have done well in tricking me Naeun.” He took Naeun’s hands in his and shook them furiously, applauding her apparent efforts.

“Ok where are they? Where are your friends?” He peered out and around for them. “I want to know how they made the animals talk like that because they had fooled me. This has been great, come back with me to the palace so brother can meet you.” Clapping his hands Taemin was all smiles. He took her hand in his and started to walk. Naeun stayed frozen, letting them separate.

He saw Naeun’s face and the laughter started to fade. She couldn’t believe her eyes as she stammered to explain further. “I-it’s true, they really were transformed—“

“—ok so we’re still pretending then?” Taemin asked curiously. “Ok I’m happy to pretend with you. You look cute when you’re confused.” He laughed happily.

But Naeun did not appear to be laughing or the slightest bit amused. She coldly moved away from him placing a foot between them. “D-don’t you believe me?”

Taemin paused, noticing her hardened expression. “Ah yes, I believe this has been a good bit of fun.”

Naeun swallowed, becoming irritated slowly. It came out in her voice. “You think this has all been a joke to you huh?”

“Why are you looking at me like that? Is it because I saw through it too early—“

“—what the hell is he saying?!” They were joined by the animal trio; the buck, bird and chameleon. Key’s scales went a bright red reflecting his anger. “Does he really think this is a joke?! How about I show him how much of a joke I am not!”

“Wow how does the dragon change colour like that?”

“I AM A CHAMELEON!”

Taemin flinched as he was struck by Key’s long tongue on the hand. Myungsoo charged at him with his horns. Naeun watched as Taemin hit the ground, dumbstruck by what had happened. “You good for nothing prince; the kingdom’s doomed for having you as their crown prince!”

“Actually my brother Minho he’s the crown—“

“—you should stop talking!” Myungsoo glared at Taemin. “You were right all along.” He said to Key, “He can’t be trusted.”

Taemin winced for a moment when Chorong landed on his shoulder. She was right next to his ear so she didn’t have to yell. “Your majesty… For your own sake I suggest that you leave.”

It was then that he saw that his teasing had gotten out of hand. The animals were stormy and Naeun was not looking at him. Closing his mouth in a tight line he remembered his manners as he bowed politely and made his leave. When he was close to the foot of the hill the animals came to Naeun and ushered her in the other direction. Taemin paused, turning his to look behind in case she was still there. But she wasn’t watching. Dejected at this blow Taemin heaved a sigh and went on, unaware that she had just paused to glance behind for the same reason.

 

 

In his room Taemin sat at the small piano. He tried to play a simple song but ended up slamming his fists on the ivories. Rubbing his hair with force he exhaled, still holding his hands clenched. He was so focused on his feelings that he didn’t hear the butler call out, “Your highness, Mr Kim Jongin is here to see you.”

Kai invited himself in and went straight over to the piano. “Ah what’s a guy meant to do if his friends won’t respond to his telegrams?”

Taemin looked at his friend drearily. “I’m not in the mood,” he stated with a groan.

Jongin nodded in agreement. “It seems that way. According to your brother you’ve been like this for almost a week. Well since you came back from hunting last Friday.”

Taemin sighed again, his mood gloomy. Seeing a good opportunity Kai reached forward and tried to push Taemin’s forehead against the keys. Taemin leapt out of his seat startling Kai who jumped away. “So go on, tell me what’s the matter? We’re friends right?”

The prince sank back into his chair and Kai found a stool to sit on. “She really is under a spell. I didn’t believe it… And now her friends don’t trust me; I don’t think she trusts me anymore.”

 He leaned back, staring at the ceiling, sighing heavily again. “I’ve been such a fool Kai. I took things too lightly and now they don’t like me, what should I do?”

“Hmm,” Kai murmured as he voiced his thoughts aloud. “I suppose you could try and break the spell for her. That way she’ll know that you really want things to be good with her.”

Taemin agreed. “Good idea, I guess the library may have something to help wouldn’t it?”

Kai got to his feet. “Then what are we waiting for?” He reached for Taemin and  dragged him to his feet. “Let’s find the cure for your lucky girl!”

The library was rather large and sparse with four shelves of books. Some thick enough to be used as a murder weapon while some were more flimsy and would only hurt for a moment.

“Wow,” Kai whistled. “I think the last time I was here was when I tried to interfere with your personal tutoring… Speaking of which did you end up firing that old bat?”

Standing on his tiptoes Taemin reached up for a book. “Actually she resigned but I had nothing to do with it.” He took it off the shelf and flicked through the pages. “Hmm, nope wrong section.” He replaced it as Kai walked across the circular space. In the centre among the fine woodwork there was the emblem of Korea made in mosaic tiles on the floor.

“Ah it might be in here.” The section was for the supernatural and religion. Taemin quickly went over to Kai and they both began scanning the shelves.

“What are you two doing in here?” They both paused as they heard a deep voice speak to them. Moving around Choi Minho cracked up when he saw them. “I’m just kidding I wanted to see if I could your brother’s impersonation.”

Taemin smirked. “You’re off by a lot,” he told him with a fist against his smile. Minho came over to them, watching as Kai and Taemin searched high and low. “What is it you are searching for?”

“We need something to cure spells.”

Minho stared at them with question. “Are you serious? What spell are you trying to cure?”

“Taemin’s girl she—“

“Kai,” Taemin cut him off in a rush. “I thought she was to stay secret.”

And it was then that Minho understood. He made a nod before winking. “Ah so this is the ‘game’ that you talked about the other time?” Kai looked at Taemin who put his hands behind his back. Minho noticed the title on the top book in Kai’s pile. “I see, so she’s under a spell and needs to be set free?”

“It’s not a joke Minho.”

“I wasn’t saying it was.” He assured Taemin confidently. “I know you Lee Taemin, and from what I see you are telling me the truth. So you haven’t asked her?”

Kai and Taemin both stopped. Kai looked at Taemin who shook his head. “N-no, I haven’t asked her yet.”

“Then you should start there.” Minho said appearing as though he was a wise philosopher. “Find out how the spell can be broken the next time you visit her.”

Taemin’s eyes lit up. Minho was right. He grinned at Minho. “Thank you Minho, I shall go to her again, apologise and tell her that I want to help her.”

“Good idea and good luck with that.”

 

 

Sitting at the window Naeun watched the wind billow through the forest, shaking the branches of the tree. She remembered that day almost a month ago when Taemin had hurt his ankle and she’d helped him. It was now almost a week since they’d met last, since the falling out.

“Knock, knock,” Myungsoo entered, his hoofs trotting on the floor as he came over to her. She stretched an arm out and patted him on the head. “Can you scratch behind my ear please?”

Naeun nodded and did just this. Myungsoo sighed in relief as the itch disappeared for a while. The billowing gust outside began to subside, placing everything back in its original state or on the forest floor.
“Brother,” Naeun began. She glanced down at her brother who was still blissfully enjoying his treatment. Releasing her hand he woke up from his sleep. “Hmmm what is it?”

“D-do you think he’ll… Come back?”

Myungsoo cocked his head to his sister. He noticed something about her expression, something he knew too well. “You’re thinking of him aren’t you?” Myungsoo began, “the crown prince that is.” Naeun didn’t move, becoming more withdrawn.

“If it is then that is ok. There’s nothing wrong with it. But, you know that he doesn’t believe you. If he returns and he probably will, then are you alright with him being doubtful?”

Naeun had to think on this. Her brother had a point. She had been hurt by him and letting him stay again would be only giving him the chance to cause further pain.
“Autumn is nearly over isn’t it?”

Myungsoo froze, the way she had asked it caused anguish to his heart. He almost didn’t want to answer her. “In another month it will be.”

Naeun nodded in understanding but a little disheartened. “I see; time has really flown right?”

“Indeed, but maybe… Maybe things will be different before too long. Don’t think about it like that.”

She knew he was trying to cheer her up but Naeun didn’t want to be too hopeful. In her eyes the chances of things changing all of a sudden seemed rather unlikely. The door creaked open to reveal Chorong flying in with Key following behind.  Chorong landed on Myungsoo and Key went next to Naeun’s feet.

“So this is where you were,” Chorong commented. “Key and I were getting worried.”

Key scoffed and Myungsoo stiffened. “Is she still thinking about that pompous prince?”

“Key that’s enough—“

The chameleon stared at Chorong as if to challenge her. “No I will not stop. We should have been more cautious! Now Naeun’s sitting here devastated because the one boy who seemed to be too good to be true turned out he was!”

Naeun started to leave. “Hey where are you going,” Key called out but she shut the door behind her. Chorong swooped at Key causing his scales to change colour. She did a turn in the air as she landed on the window sill.

“I ought to peck that tongue out of yours!”

“I dare you to try!”

“How about we do something else?” They both gave their attention to Myungsoo. “How about we go and see this prince at his home?” He glanced back at the door. “I know we gave him a strong warning but I’m worried…She’s starting to lose hope… In about five months it will be a year since…”

Chorong and Key both looked at the other with guilt. They agreed to make peace and to keep an eye on Naeun who was probably feeling the worst out of all of them.

How are we finding this story? Give me your earnest feedback I would love to hear from you.