The Misconceptions of You

The Swan Maiden

Minho opened the door to Taemin who looked a little puffed. “There you are, I was wondering if I would have to call the royal guard to search for you.”

“Don’t worry brother I’m here now.” Taemin came into Minho’s room. The bed had been made, the books stacked neatly on the shelves. Minho pulled a chair over for Taemin to sit.
“Wait here for a moment,” he quickly disappeared. Staying in his place he glanced around his brother’s room. On the wall he noticed a painting of someone they had once known. The same round face, fringe and sweet eyes.

“Here,” Minho came back but Taemin turned his head a moment later.

“You have that painting in here? Isn’t it the one her parents’ have?”

Minho stopped, his eyes hovering around the room, holding glasses in one hand and beer in the other.
“Oh yes they gave it to me as a gift.” He put the glasses down and opened the beer. Pouring half a glass he handed it to Taemin before he sat down with his own.

“Doesn’t it make you sad?”

Minho lowered his glass after having a sip. “Hmm, oh you mean by having it here?” He smiled at his brother reassuringly. “Actually it’s the opposite. Having it there helps me to not forget her because I always want to have her reserving my heart. Did you know that it was love at first sight? Not on her side at first but when father read to me the letter her mother had written about her I knew that she would be the one for me.”

“That’s interesting brother.” Taemin said not sure which direction Minho was trying to move the conversation in. “I didn’t expect you to be such a romantic especially after having been with several—“

 Minho closed his eyes as though he’d be dealt a blow. “Ah don’t bring the past up. She changed me Taemin. From the moment she’d been described to me I had her to thank for me coming to terms with my promiscuous life. It took us ten months after meeting for her to let me kiss her—“

“—aren’t you getting carried away now?!” Taemin exclaimed with some colour in his cheeks. Whether it was from alcohol or embarrassment it couldn’t be determined easily.

Nodding his brother stopped. “You’re right; I called you here because I really wanted to talk with you about something.” He clapped Taemin on the shoulder. “Taemin, are you alright? You seem a little odd these days. Are you feeling ill or is it in the head?”

Taemin looked at his brother like he was crazy. “I’m not sick, I’m healthy!”

“You drank five glasses of water this morning.”

“I was really thirsty.” Minho’s expression showed Taemin he had been caught. “Oh, I meant to say that my mouth was dry.”

“I thought I told you not to lie.”

“I couldn’t help it!”

Moving his hand away Minho folded held his hands curled together in his lap. “Is that all?” Taemin didn’t take long to respond, it gushed out like a broken tap.

“I’ve been feeling sweaty more especially in my hands. Sometimes I can feel my heart racing more and I don’t know whether it’s me overreacting or if it’s because I’ve seen her.”

Minho blinked. “Wait, you’ve seen her? Who is this? Do I know her? Have you met before?”

“She’s a girl I know…” He’d only just started speaking when his mind flashed to an image of her. Immediately his tongue started to get twisted, the words taking double the amount of time they usually took to come out. Minho patiently watched as Taemin fumbled to speak. Eventually he reached down and kissed the bracelet.

“She’s not from a royal family I don’t think. We’ve met for a few months and I don’t think you’ve met her.”

Minho cut to the point of his main interest. “What’s her name? I want to know her name.” Taemin stopped and then nodded obediently.

“Her name is Naeun.”

“Is that it?” Minho asked in disbelief. “Doesn’t she have a family name?”

“I don’t know…”

“Alright fine that’s all I needed to hear.” His brother cut him off. Minho was in thought for a minute. Taemin drank more beer and started to pour himself another serving. “Hey, slow down I still need you to hear this sober.”

With the glass just about to be tilted at his lips Taemin did as he was asked. The golden liquid sloshing after its container had been left still. Minho poured himself another serving but had a tiny sip. “Taemin, I know you will not like what I have to say. But we Lee’s are known to be frank and so that’s what I’ll be at this moment.” His little brother became slightly rigid in his body, his back straightening slightly.

“I’m worried that you’re going to be hurt. If this girl is really not of blue blood mother and father would not approve. Plus this girl will be hurt too if she finds that you cannot continue the relationship you have.”

Taemin took the chance to speak. “There is no relationship as of yet. I like her yes but I haven’t told her. You know I’m inexperienced at love so don’t assume I’ve already thought of the possibility of breaking her heart.”

“I am just telling you this for our parent’s sake. Be careful, don’t go into this without much thought of what could and may happen. I feel you haven’t really considered all the—hey don’t do that!”

Taemin had sculled his glass of beer, breathing out heavily as he did. “I don’t care brother. This is my choice, you said that I have to take responsibility and that’s what I want to be for Naeun. I want to protect her even when everyone else tries to hurt her!”

Standing up he stormed out of the room before Minho could even stop him. Still facing the aftershock of Taemin’s anger the crown prince picked up his glass and began to drink alone.

Kai stared at Taemin. “Did he really say that to you?!” Taemin nodded. “Damn,” his friend whistled before having a long drink. “Does he think he can tell you what to do?” The two were sitting outside the palace on the ground near the back entrance. It was a place they had hung out at in the past. Usually they had another friend with them but he couldn’t come.

“Our parent’s absence is starting to affect his mental state. He’s starting to already believe that he is king.”

Kai sighed out as Taemin drank. “I feel for you. I may not be the prince of this country but I couldn’t stand having such a bossy older sibling.”

Taemin burped and the two laughed with ease. Their faces were flushed and their speech was getting more slurred. “Should I just run away with Naeun?” Taemin asked. “We’ll escape to a desert island where we can lay on the sand, play in the water, take each other’s clothes off—“

“—whoa what did you say?!” The prince stood up and slipped his coat off. “H-hey, don’t do that here!” Kai grabbed onto Taemin’s collar before he could undo the buttons. “No not the trousers Taemin! I know you’re upset but don’t scare me please!”

The prince laughed, the noise getting louder gradually. Kai put a finger over his friend’s mouth. “Shh they’ll think I made you drunk on purpose! Do you want me to be escorted out of the palace?!”
 

“Naeun, Naeun I like you. I like you Naeun. Can you hear me Naeun?!”

Kai had no choice but to cover Taemin’s mouth and drag him back inside through the back door. He was moving him quickly in fear that they would be caught. They had been caught but not by the palace staff or the guards. A man a little shorter than them both, with platinum yellow hair in a dark grey suit had managed to blend into the palace wall to listen as they drank and babbled.

“Hmm, it seems that my Naeun has been unfaithful to me; the man her heart he should already own.” Glancing around to check it was clear, he started into a quick run before disappearing.

Taemin woke the next morning rather hung over and extremely irked at his brother for being insensitive to him and how he felt. For the next five days he kept away from him, not speaking much at the table and refusing to go with him to do tasks outside of the palace.

Eventually Minho found the only option was to seek Taemin out and to make peace with him. He found Taemin at the archery range about to fire. The area had been securely fenced away from trespassers and the staffs were not permitted to use the path that ran behind the area when someone was practicing. There had been too many unfortunate accidents in the past.

 Piercing gaze, stance firm, hands clutching the bow and the string Taemin released the tension. It flew across the space before landing in the top area of the target. He paused when the sound of one person clapping came closer to him. “Well done,” Minho began. “It’s been years since you’ve touched a bow but you’re now able to hit the targets.”

“What do you want?” Taemin stated somewhat rudely. He went to the bucket and picked up another arrow. “I want to practice more.”

“Taemin, talk to me.”

His brother had his bow up and ready. Minho could see Taemin wasn’t focusing on him so he called out. “Hey rascal, say something decent to your brother!” The arrow plummeted into the ground a foot before the target.  

“I can’t,” Taemin answered not facing him. “You have no idea how I feel. You’re just assuming everything based on what I’ve said.”

“Tell me more then,” Minho said sounding desperate. “It sounds as though this Naeun is just some random woman you met on the streets one night offering you…”

That did it. Taemin threw down the bow and went straight for his brother’s shirt. Minho stared down at his brother who had a fistful of his shirt scrunched in his hand.
“Don’t ever say that about Naeun!” He let go of Minho, panting from the rising anger. “She’s not some random woman!”

Minho closed his mouth, slight concern that he’d stepped out of line settling in. “I understand. I’m sorry Taemin. I needed to talk with you about something though.” Going to where the arrows were Taemin started to pull the one out of the ground.

“The Jung family has been in contact. They would like our family to visit them for Christmas.”

There was a crack. The brother’s both looked at the arrow which had been broken in the middle. Taemin pulled out the other half before getting the one in the target.

“Did they say when and for how long?”

“It would be for a month.” Taemin stopped. Minho continued regardless. “We’ll leave on Sunday morning.”

Taemin’s rage became utter worry and anxiety. Swallowing uneasily he handed the bow to a staff waiting on the side as well as the broken arrow.

“Why does it have to be a month?” He asked sounding concerned.

“Mother and father will come and join us there in two weeks.” Minho began. “We’ll get to spend some time with them before we have to leave. Until then you have two days to pack.” He patted Taemin on the back before going.

The younger prince was now faced with a serious dilemma. He wanted to spend Christmas here so he could go to Naeun as well. Would she be able to not see him for that long and still want to see him again?

This chapter was a bit boring I am sorry to say. I think I put too much focus on the brother’s relationship which is why.