I Like...

The Swan Maiden

Staring at the book Taemin could only go over a page before he put it away. He wasn’t one to spend heaps of time filling his head with the stories of people who had dismal lives but Minho however had bought him a lot for his birthday to convince him to read more. It wasn’t going to work.

“What do I do?” He flopped down on his bed. “How can I ask them if Naeun will just transform back? What do I do?” Sighing out loud he expressed his disgruntlement at being a completely useless prince.

“Naeun, Naeun you were embarrassed at me seeing you like that right? If it had been me I would want you to know so you could find the person responsible and—“

He was getting too caught up in it that he laughed. Sitting up he found himself with a rather definite answer. “Naeun, despite the shame you may have felt, I will still come to you even if you refuse to see me. Because I want you and your friends to be set free from the clutches of that monster, whoever, whatever it is.”

Taemin had to stop himself for a moment. Swallowing hard his mind went back to a particular moment in time. Back when he’d hurt his ankle and she’d given him support and comfort. Breathing out in one slowly drawn exhale he noticed that his hands had gotten wet from sweat.

“What is this I am experiencing?” He murmured to himself. Going to the dining room he sat down at the table. “A glass of water please.” When he was handed one it was sculled instantly and he asked for another and another.

“Are you feeling alright your highness?” The waiter asked him as he placed down his fifth glass on the table with the other empty ones.

Taemin had his eyebrows furrowed at his own confusion. “I don’t know, my mouth is really dry all of a sudden.”

“Maybe have a break for now.” The young prince agreed and left back to his room. A minute after he had gone Minho came in to have a cup of tea.

“Did Taemin drink all these?” He asked. The butler nodded. Minho was confused. “This isn’t usual for him. Did he say why?”

“He said he had a dry mouth. He was also dabbing his hands with a napkin as though he was flustered albeit he had nothing to cause such a reaction.”

Minho nodded. “I see. I won’t disagree with you. He does appear to be rather light headed more than usual. Should I send for the royal doctor?”

The butler paused but then chose not to take the same approach. “I think he’s fine your majesty. However you might want to talk to him. He is reacting differently but I do not believe he’s sick.”

“Very well, mother and father will be home by Christmas so I can ask them then, that is if he’s still peculiar by then.”

“Very wise your majesty.”

 

“You should smile more you’re very pretty,” Taemin got a slap from Naeun on the leg. She did it in a good nature though which proved it was them messing around. They were both turning their chairs to the windows to watch the sky just in case it started to snow in November.

“Wouldn’t it be great if it snowed while we are together?” Taemin asked Naeun who murmured a soft agreement. “That would make our favourite month even more memorable?”

“Mm,” Naeun said.

He leaned forward and then turned his body to her. “Is that all you can say? Don’t you agree with me Naeun?”

“I-I do Taemin.”

“Then say it,” Taemin stopped. He realised how short tempered that had sounded. Naeun was beginning to redraw from him. It was seen in her face. His mouth closed and he felt guilty.

“Naeun, I’m…” Once he was testy but now he was tongue tied. She sat back in her chair, her eyes very gently watching him. Taemin began to think something was wrong with him. Clearing his throat he appeared as though he would speak. However his hand reached over to where hers was on her lap, his fingers closing over hers.

In that moment he felt her pulse skip a beat as slightly opened. “W-what are you—“

“—is it ok, if I do this?” He asked, the tone of his voice sounding hesitant. Naeun had to silently muse about it before she silently nodded. In relief Taemin fixed his position, their fingers now interlocking. They had known each other for nearly four months yet he had not tried to touch her like this. Naeun made herself start to breathe slower to make up for a quicker pulse.

“This feels weird.” Taemin commented, his cheekbones poking up from under the skin. “It’s sort of I don’t know how to put it.”

Naeun looked out to the window. “It’s... Good.”

“Why is your hand so cold?”

“It just is,” she answered. Lifting it up he lightly breathed onto it making her giggle. “Ah that tickles.”

The sound reminded him of light rain on the window while there was still sun. Smiling Taemin lowered their hands, glancing up at the clock.

“Oh my goodness,” he quickly returned her hand. “I’m sorry Naeun but I should leave my brother wants to speak with me soon.” He was out the door in such a hurry he didn’t hear her say goodbye.


It was a lot darker now they were in winter. Glancing around he started to whistle to brighten the mood. He jumped at something scuffling in the leaves close by. Stopping he peered around the trees to see a large animal with its bottom sticking out. He went closer, stepping slowly in case he scared it.

He smirked when he realised what it was. Myungsoo had got his horns caught in a shrub. “Who’s there, show yourself!” Taemin had to cover his mouth to stop him from laughing. “Tell me who you are!”

“It’s Taemin,” the prince said to Myungsoo, “how did you get stuck?”

“I had lowered my head for one moment, just one moment.” He kept on grumbling while Taemin crouched down and parted the branches.

“Try and move now,” Myungsoo backed away and fell down on his bottom. Bursting out laughing Taemin had a good chortle before he had to try and stop the buck ramming into him. “Ok I’m sorry it was just rather funny.”

Myungsoo lifted his head. “I dare you to say that again.” He tried to appear menacing but his brown eyes were too similar like that of a teddy bear. Taemin decided that the subject needed to be changed.

“So, were you just out for a short walk?”

Myungsoo nodded. “Yes, Key and I had a fight so I walked away first.”

“What were you fighting about?” Turning his head to Taemin the buck was appearing to smile widely as though he had a rather big secret.

“Do you want to know?”

Certain that he did Taemin nodded. “Ok I’ll tell you. We had a fight because Key doesn’t think that I can do something which I know I can.”

Taemin didn’t understand. “What is it that you want to do?”

“To tell Naeun how I feel about her.”  The glow in Taemin’s face evaporated. Myungsoo sounded serious which made Taemin uncomfortable. “Taemin, you can say… It’s a sensation similar to that of the stags in the wild, when they want to mate with—“

“—just stop,” Taemin interrupted starting to cringe. His face reverted to the serious gaze he had. Myungsoo didn’t look as though he was bothered. In a twisted way he seemed as though he was gloating.

“Why do you have a scary expression your majesty? Don’t you know that you have no reason to be angry with me?”

Taemin bit the edge of his lip his body turning away for a brief second before stopping. He then eyed Myungsoo. “Actually I do.” He swallowed. “I have something to tell Naeun as well. I can’t describe it as ersely but I know very well that the root of my words lies in the same origins as yours does.”

Myungsoo would have folded his arms with a challenging smirk if he had been human. Instead he just raised his head slightly to point his horns towards Taemin. “I didn’t say what I was going to tell her so how do you know we’re feeling the same?”

“Why are you going to say it? When are you going to? Will Chorong and Key be in the room? Will you two be alone? Are you going to make it romantic?” Taemin started asking bitterly. Myungsoo made a strange noise as though he was trying not to laugh.

“Don’t laugh! And don’t say anything before I do, as your prince I command you to obey!”

“What are you going to say to her prince?”

“That I like her!” Taemin blinked dumbly. What had he done? He wasn’t going to admit it first yet how did that happen? He glanced at Myungsoo who had become quiet. The buck noticed the prince staring and then started to laugh.

“W-what are you—“

Myungsoo kept on until he managed to stop for a moment. “I caught you,” he gloated with glee. “I was only tricking you. I thought it might be nice to see how you would feel having done the same thing to Naeun.” Taemin began to see his point. “Plus at least now I know how you really feel. I don’t like her. It would be kind of weird and disgusting since she’s my little sister.”

“That’s a relief—she’s your sister?”

“Half-sister to be more precise,” Myungsoo added. “But I treat her like she’s my real one and in a way she feels like she really is.”

“So that fight you had with Key—“

“—it happened but not to do with what I just told you.” Myungsoo began to make his way home. “Ah he won’t believe it when I tell him I tricked you hahahahahaha and now I know you like her.” He started humming away, his mood chirpy from the successful plan of deceit.

Taemin breathed out and continued on through the woods, being cautious of where he placed his feet.  Even though he had been outwitted by a deer looking back on it only brought embarrassed smiles. As he reflected on his response he had to pause as his heart was beating a little bit quicker.

“I like her,” it brought a rather stretched smile to his face. “I like Naeun.”

Awwww, anyway another chapter will be coming soon.