The Misconceptions of Me

The Swan Maiden

Peering around the hall for a moment Taemin poked his head back into his room. With the hunting rifle in his grip he started to tiptoe down the hall; straightening his position to act coy if he thought someone would notice him.

He got to the end of the hall where it broke off into a set of stairs going down the west side of the palace and the inner rooms of the palace on the other side. With another quick inspection he sighed in relief before turning his body towards the stairs.

“And where do you think you’re going?” Taemin paused, his foot just about to land on the step. The crown prince walked over to him wearing just his dress shirt black pants and shoes. Minho peered down at Taemin who stood there, his gaze lowering to the floor.

“N-nowhere brother…” He flinched as Minho reached for him and seized what had been behind his back in a quick movement. His brother’s eyes were slightly wider in alarm. He lowered the gun but the bewilderment stayed.

“Why do you have father’s gun in your possession?” When Taemin didn’t answer Minho grew impatient and more irritated. “Explain yourself now!”

“I… I was just going out hunting?”

“You’re going hunting just before sunset; without telling me or asking for my permission either?!”
 
Minho let out a groan, his anger levels only just starting to rise. “Why are you acting like this? What reason do you have to hunt at this time? Is this what you’ve been doing the past Friday nights while I’ve been here trying to keep the kingdom from falling apart?!”

Taemin winced at his words which pricked him with the knife that was his brother’s tongue. He knew he’d messed up severely. Minho still clutched the gun in his hands before calling over a butler. “Take this back to father’s office and make sure the door is locked with no access.” He added strongly emphasising the locked part. The butler bowed his head before leaving.

Once they were alone Minho faced his brother again, a dark expression enough to scare anyone into submission. “We have important business to attend to tonight.”

“Brother can’t it wait? I have to go I just have—“

“—not tonight you will not.” Minho crushed his dream of seeing Naeun instantly like removing the hope of dessert from a kid. “I told you once before that it’s time for you to grow up and become the prince this kingdom needs. It’s crucial that we attend this dinner with the three possibilities. They will be arriving in an hour the tailor will be with you soon to prepare your suit.”

Lost for words all Taemin could do was lift his face to Minho in sincere confusion. “The three possibilities; brother what are you saying—“

“—tonight one of the three girls we’ll dine with will become your future wife.”



 


By the lake her hopes were beginning to slim as the sunlight faded more. She didn’t know exactly what was compelling her to stay there close to the cliff on the opposite side of the water, near the hill that concealed the secret place called her home.

“Naeun,” she heard Myungsoo call to her. He sat down on the grass near her, his head going down to eat some of the long strands. “This is the… Wait. How many times has it been? That have I found you here as though you’re waiting that is?”

“It’s not the first,” Naeun answered before Myungsoo could get further puzzled. “I’ll come in soon before Chorong becomes worried.”

“You’re waiting for him aren’t you?” Naeun noticed him looking at him, chewing the grass like a cow. He knew her better than she realised. “The prince… Am I right?”

Naeun nodded gently. “He may not come… Not since he was scared off the other day.”

Myungsoo’s chewing got slower with contriteness appearing albeit was hard to tell. “He doesn’t have a serious bone in his skinny body. We did what we have to for your sake and ours.”

“I know,” Naeun softly began. “But… That doesn’t mean it was—“

“—why are you two sitting out here; becoming plant eaters?” It was obvious who said that. Key and Chorong both walked or flew over to where they were. Myungsoo swallowed his mouthful and stared down at the yellow chameleon.

“Maybe you should try some? It might clean out your filthy mouth.”

Key opened his mouth and curled two blades of glass around his tongue before putting it in his mouth. His scales changed to a very strange sickly green. He spat the bits out, shaking his tongue like a dog.
“Yuck this is disgusting, why did I even try it?”

“So he isn’t going to come anymore?” Chorong asked perching on Naeun’s knee. Naeun didn’t know how to answer. Chorong continued on with her thoughts “Maybe we should see why he gave up so soon?”

“See what?” The buck and chameleon questioned in perfect unison.

Chorong glanced at Myungsoo. “Well… Didn’t you say we should watch the prince? Why not do that tonight? See what he is doing now that he is not coming here.”

Myungsoo got to his feet clumsily almost getting two of his legs twisted in the rush. “About that umm… I don’t think I can get into the palace… They might shoot me on sight.” Chorong took this into consideration thoughtfully.

“That is true, Key wouldn’t be any safer if he went.”

“Yah what do you mean by that?!”

Naeun started to Chorong’s head softly. “Are you saying you would go by yourself?” The little pink bird tweeted in agreement. Naeun glanced at Myungsoo and Key, wanting their input. “Should she go; would it be safe for her?”

“It won’t be safe,” Key said sounding extremely critical. “But she’s the only one that can leave after all.”

Chorong puffed up her chest, ruffled both wings before taking off into the air. “Then it’s settled. I’ll stick close to the windows and tell you what I see when I come back. If I am not home by eleven at least then you can come and find me.”

“You won’t find me coming to look for you… But I suppose if worse comes to worse I will come with this dumb doe and Naeun.” It was surprising that a small love bird could still pose threats with her small beady eyes.

“Don’t call me a doe!” Myungsoo exclaimed. “That’s a girl!”

Key wagged his tongue at him mockingly. “Exactly,” the buck lowered his head to charge at Key while Chorong fluttered her wings and flew high into the sky becoming a smaller green speck to the others down below. Naeun watched her friend, the one like an older sister fly away into the distance.

“Be careful,” Naeun murmured, silently praying that Chorong would return safely. She just had to come back.

 

 

The tailor stepped away to let Taemin examine his reflection in the mirror. The suit was mocha, the waist coat pocket dressed with a small white flower. His hair had been combed neatly a draping away from his face. The sleeves of his shirt had gold cufflinks square in shape with white pearl embedded in them. His brown shoes were shiny from being polished recently.

“You look marvellous your majesty.”

Taemin nodded to glumly agree, the least he could do was be polite. “Thank you for your hard work.” The tailor went to his bag and started to pack his belongings. There was a knock as a maid entered.

“Your brother crown prince Minho is waiting in the dining room for you.” Taemin quickly made his leave only putting a hand to his head feeling how sticky his hair was from the wax. He had time to wipe it on the inside of his jacket in case his brother was to notice.

Inside Minho was already seated, dressed in his black suit and hair combed in a similar style. Turning to Taemin he made a small bob of his head in greeting. Taemin stiffly bowed before he sat down next to him, wanting to disappear off someplace else.

“Mr Jang did well with your suit.” Minho remarked, pouring Taemin some wine into his glass. From how things were beginning he felt one standard drink would not be enough. Soon a man dressed in a suit came into the dining room, the royal secretary.

“Your majesties, Lady Jinri from the Choi family has arrived.”

Minho lowered his glass and asked him to show her in. A minute later a rather tall, slim framed girl entered. Her face had a defined chin, full lips, defined cheekbones and single eye lids. Dressed in a pink chequered ensemble that swept the floor with a four frilled collar blouse and a wide brimmed hat she appeared like a doll. Like a doll which stood above the average height of women by at least ten centimetres.

She greeted the princes stood to bow in exchange. They were then seated. “It’s been a while since we had the pleasure of making your acquaintance.” Minho began as she was given a drink.
“So tell me what you have been doing for the past five years?”

Taemin drank some of his wine and placed the glass down. He shouldn’t have wondered why his head was starting to swim. The waiters arrived with their entrees the first meal from the Korean royal court cuisine range. It was a bowl with nine sections of different coloured and flavoured foods as well as small pancakes placed it the middle.

Jinri began to dig in, making sure to place a small amount in her wrap with the chopsticks carefully. “Well I’ve been preparing for marriage by improving on my cooking, sewing and baking.”

“Interesting, tell me what you’ve been learning to make.”

“I’m adding onto the basics for every Korean dish including seaweed soup and galbijjim.” Taemin lowered his spoon, eyes starting to widen. He liked galbijjim which was a dish made from short ribs. Unfortunately Minho picked up on this.

“That’s a relief. Taemin really likes meat so any dish with beef, pork or chicken that you can cook will be appreciated. You’d better prepare a lot though because he can sure eat.”

Taemin eyed his brother. “What are you doing?” He started to say with gritted teeth. “Are you trying to make me look like a pig?!” Minho head locked Taemin and ruffled his hair playfully which only added salt in the wound.

“Of course he enjoys drinking as well so you’d better be prepared for some late nights ahead as well as—“

“BROTHER!”

Jinri placed her spoon down, her eyes a little rounder as she observed Taemin’s disgruntled expression. “Oh, is this what he’s really like? Is he usually blunt with everyone?”

Minho released his brother who rubbed his sore neck. “Ah yes, most of the time he is really polite and considerate but he can’t help speak his mind however.” He added with some regret in his tone.

Jinri nodded with her unreadable expression. “I see, well I don’t think it would work then. I am not attracted to such men.” The two Lee brothers exchanged glances. Minho was obviously not pleased and Taemin wanted to crawl under the table. They still had to dine with two more ladies and the night had only just begun. None of them were away of a small pink, bird perched on the edge of the window, watching them without a tweet.

 


 

Haha this chapter was really amusing to write so I hope you all laughed out loud. Tell me what part of this amused you the most? By the way the side dish they eat is called gujeolpan which you can have a look at here.