Planning for forever

The Swan Maiden

Sitting in the back of the vehicle Taemin wrung his handkerchief until he had to fling it on the floor.
“Feeling nervous your majesty?” Their driver asked with consideration.

Taemin agreed. “I’m meeting them for the very first time. How will they look at me? Are they going to push the wedding for selfish motives or will—“

“—we’ve arrived at the residency your majesty.”

The vehicle came to a halt and the young prince jerked upright. Taking a deep breath he composed himself as the chauffer opened the door for him. Stepping outside the sight of the house was different to what he expected. It was a simple stand alone, all one storey, a large gate covering the main entrance.

A woman dressed as a maid came out to greet him with a bow. “They’re waiting for you in the foyer.”

Taemin thanked her and walked in after her, his steps slower from caution although he had nothing to fear.  She opened the door and there they were. The considerate man who had taken in an adulterous woman stood tall and refined with his pin stripe suit and a thin line of a moustache. Naeun’s mother was of sophisticated looks too. Her hair was styled into a bob with a lace hair piece on the side, the soft grey dress defining her dark eyes.

And there was his girl; Naeun in her black dress with red trim. She smiled bashfully when their eyes met. Taemin wanted to fling her into his arms and never let go. However because of the timing it would not be appropriate.

“Your majesty,” his father approached him first. “We welcome you to our abode. I am Son Hangjoon. I would like to give you my sincere and honest gratitude for you finding our daughter and allowing her to marry you.”

Taemin was taken back. “I… I-it’s fine.” He stopped as her mother came up to him and greeted him politely. She then smiled at him. “Son in law it’s great to meet you. To know you risked your life for her”

“It’s nothing,” actually he hadn’t slept very well the first few days since Jonghyun or the dragon as some would use in their storytelling had been conquered. It was a minor detail he chose not to share even though he normally had a loosed lip.

Someone came past the mother and father over to Taemin with a big grin. “Brother in law!”

“M-Myungsoo,” Taemin did not expect the large hug that the dark suited man gave him. Naeun couldn’t help but laugh while the parents seemed to have slight half smirks on their rather serious faces.

Myungsoo pulled away and then ruffled his hair. Taemin stood there completely confused. “I’m glad that you’ve finally come to show your face. It’s been a month since we saw you last! Imagine that a month!”

Taemin glanced around him to Naeun. “Is this really Kim Myungsoo?”

“Ah,” Naeun realised why he seemed bewildered. “This is what he’s really like. A bit of an idiot isn’t he?”

Myungsoo batted his eyelashes at him. “But I’m a handsome one right?” Taemin did not know what to say as the other started to laugh.

“Myungsoo,” his mother began. “Maybe you should let us speak with Naeun and Taemin alone.” He nodded and then took his leave. Naeun came over to Taemin and linked arms with him, the gesture causing Taemin’s cheekbones to ascend.

“We have tea in our living area. Do join us.”

“Thank you,” Taemin was beginning to feel more at home with them now. Naeun smiled at him and he felt a lot me reassured than before.

The king raised his cup, had a drink and lowered it down to face the Son’s. Naeun and her family had come to visit them due to an invitation. The queen smiled at her soon to be daughter in law who sat next to her son, both of them keeping their posture straight.

“The plans have been coming along well.” The queen said. “It looks as though we’ll be able to have the wedding in five months.”

The Son’s nodded, “we’re grateful that you accepted our small gift. For our daughter to marry a possibly future king of Korea we could not have foreseen how blessed we would be.”

“There are a few things we need to discuss before the plans can be finalised.” The King said bringing the mood into a serious one. “First of all, Minho the crown prince is going to receive his coronation ceremony in the middle of the year a week after his wedding.” The Son’s nodded and the young couple sat a little closer to each other. Taemin’s hand wandered to where Naeun’s sat on her lap and squeezed it.

The king returned his cup to his saucer. “Second of all, we’re organising for my son and your daughter seated with us their quarters in the East section of the palace—“

“—actually your majesty,” Master Son interrupted. “We have a place that my wife and I would like to give them.” Naeun looked at them, slightly open in surprise. Taemin had a similar expression.

“It was going to be a surprise,” her mother told her gobsmacked daughter.  The king glanced at his wife who nudged with her head to say something to their future in laws. He paused, eyebrows bending in the middle as he thought.

Taemin watched his father, silently praying he would give in. The idea of Naeun and him being away from watchful eyes gave him delight and he wanted to have privacy.

“Very well, however I will be hiring some staff to come and assist them while they live there.”

Taemin stood up and went over to his father. “Thank you father,” he said hugging him. Naeun quickly went to her parents who embraced her.

The king cleared his throat. “We’ll organise the two of you to visit the home within the next two months. And we should discuss whether there will be any special touches to add.”

At this Taemin became still. Naeun nudged him in the side. “I have something I am preparing…” He began, “it won’t be revealed until the wedding yet.”

“Fair enough,” Naeun’s mother answered.

The queen directed a question to the couple. “How has Eunji and Kibum been?”

Naeun answered both families. “They’re doing well. Apparently Kibum has gone to visit Eunji and her family this week for a few days. She’s very excited.”

The families nodded showing they had heard this. “Excellent, they’re an unusual pair aren’t they?”

“That’s one way to put it,” Taemin said with a smirk, Naeun responding in unison. There was laughter and the once serious mood had been broken with humour.

The Sons were the first ones to rise. “We’d best be returning, thank you for the invitation your Majesty.”

“Have a safe trip,” the men shook hands while the women lightly embraced. Naeun was about to stand when Taemin pulled her down onto the seat with a soft bump. She turned her head at him.

“What are you doing?”

“I want to hold onto you for longer.” The young prince had his hands clutching her arm tightly, “because time is going too slow for me.”

Naeun just guffawed at his cheesy lines. The families were too busy talking to each other to notice. “What will I do when you end up having to leave for business?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” He asked. She watched him patiently. The same way she always would wait for him. “I’d have to take you with me.”

He watched in delirious joy as she melted from this. He held her face in his hands, their gazes sending fireworks into the air. His eyes went down where her lips were. Swallowing hard Taemin felt his heart about to explode as he began to lower his face.

“Naeun we have to go.”

Taemin stopped, exhaling in disappointment. Naeun felt sorry and disappointed to. She managed to make him release his arm. “I should leave, see you soon.”

He nodded only just moving to see her off. “Sure, take care until then.” He wrapped her in a tight embrace. Her hair smelt like a garden and she hugged him back, her slim arms managing to hold him with delicate strength.

They held hands for as long as they could until Naeun’s mother pulled her away, their fingers brushing away as they were separated again.

Thought this was the end didn’t you? Well I surprised myself and managed to expand it haha (though this may have dragged out as a result). Oh and is anyone disappointed about what didn’t happen? XD