It's a Swan oh wait...

The Swan Maiden

Love, in this time it was vital that the royal family brought forth another male heir. The two princes both were without wives and needed to settle down. While the oldest was more than ready to be married the other one, his younger more extroverted brother was still a bit of a wild child despite having just become a legal adult.

­The palace sat in the middle of the city, furnished inside and out with their traditions while the rest of the world developed. Fortunately for the men it was only the women who had to wear the hanboks and heavy hair pieces that caused serious migraines unless they were outside for leisure or other non-royalty related business.

In his quarters a tall man dressed in a dark blue suit returned his cup to the saucer. Rolling his sleeve up, he checked the face of his watch and heaved a sigh. “Where is he?” He muttered. The door was opened as his personal suited butler entered.
“Your highness, Prince Taemin is on his way.”

“About damn time—“

“—brother so you’ve been here all this time.” Coming around the butler the younger man came in with just a white dress shirt and grey trousers. His brother noticed he had no jacket but said nothing as his younger sibling bowed to him in respect. The butler poured Taemin a cup of tea before stepping out of the room.

After having a sip Taemin put the cup down. “When I heard you wanted to see me I thought it would be out in the courtyard.”

“Is that why you look like a wreck?” Taemin stopped as he received raised eyebrows in obvious disapproval. “Didn’t think I would notice that you aren’t properly dressed?”

The younger of the pair glanced at his shoulders and realised he was missing something. “Ah my jacket, right I left it outside because it got dirty—“

“—you ruined your clothes?!”

Taemin nodded sheepishly. “Yeah, you see Minho and I--not you but my friend Minho wanted to try a bit of wrestling without the fancy ties and so—“

“—Lee Taemin are you going to sit still and let me talk?!” That caused Taemin to stop. His brother rose to his feet. “You’re expected to find a wife now that you’re of legal age. Yet you’re busy fluffing around like a kid giving us no indication of whether you have a suitable woman in mind or if I have to find you one.”

 Minho soon continued. “Tell me little brother, how are we expected to continue the family line if none of us are married?”

“I don’t want to get married.” Taemin protested bitterly. “I don’t like any of the ladies from any of fathers’ associates. They just are not the sort of girls I can see myself with.”

Taemin’s face fell as Minho scoffed. “It’s because they know about your reputation.”

“Because I’m so handsome…” But to Taemin’s dismay Minho was shaking his head. “But you’re handsome too brother despite having a wide face…”

“We can talk about my bent nose and chubby cheeks another time.” Minho assured him almost sounding playful. “I’m focusing on your childish attitude to things and your inability to be trusted. Wasn’t it just yesterday that you told me that you would meet the Jung family from Kwangju yet you blew them off to go fishing with Jongin?”

Taemin responded without much thought. “Hey even Kai would tell you that it was his idea in the first place!”

Minho folded his arms as he sat down again. “That is not the point. You may ascend the throne one day and if that day comes then you will need to have a strong, capable wife beside you to be queen. Jongin will probably have to settle down too next year when he is of legal age himself.” He paused for a brief second before adding. “Mother and father placed me in charge of you while they were away and now that their stay has been extended it’s even more vital that you get your act together before—“

“—wait a minute,” Taemin interrupted. “T-they’re going to stay for longer?” Minho nodded. Taemin swallowed, disappointment rising. “But, t-they promised… They said—“

“I know Taemin,” Minho agreed starting to feel the same. “It isn’t fair on any of us. But that’s the duty of the king and queen. When you are a husband then you will understand the responsibility of being there just for one person.”

Even though he didn’t like the sudden news Taemin sat there and accepted it without protest this time. Just then a woman in a black skirt, white shirt and her hair in a bun with a bonnet on her head entered.
“Prince Minho, it’s the celebrant. He would like to speak with you regarding the cancelling of your wedding.”

Minho agreed. “Very well, tell him to wait in the West quarters and I’ll be there soon.” The woman bowed before leaving.

Taemin glanced at his brother with his face crestfallen. “So, they didn’t find her?”

“It’s been twelve months since she was seen.” Minho admitted. “The police, the royal guard and even the detectives we hired have not been able to locate her. It’s time we annul any false hope we’ve been giving the people and ourselves.”

Minho stood and walked out of the room, his broad shoulders slumping slightly. Taemin didn’t know what to do. He knew his brother meant well despite the lectures. Having to cancel the wedding was hurting him more than he let on. But still he didn’t want to consider the possibility of marrying someone he barely knew or would love enough.


 

That late afternoon Taemin sat in his quarters anxiously. He checked the clock and then peered out the windows, counting the number of guards patrolling the open areas closest to him.
“Why are you so nervous?”

Jumping Taemin turned around. His tall brown haired friend stood with a large smirk. If he’d been any shorter or wider the brown, vertical striped shirt he had on would have not sat nicely on him. For a boy from a wealthy middle class family he was dressed well in the white pants with the black belt and the black tie around his neck. He’d taken his brown bowler hat off and held it in a hand, his white jacket in the other hand.

“Ah Kai don’t sneak up on me like that.” Taemin exclaimed going over and hitting him with a loosely clenched fist. “You’re almost scared me half to death three times this year!”

“You’re probably just glad to see me I bet. I heard the maids talking as I came here. So the royal wedding is off?”

Taemin nodded. “Ah so is it because your parents are away?” Kai questioned, “or is it because she is presumed dead—“

“—don’t let big brother hear you say that.” Taemin warned him. “Even though they think she’s dead he still has some faith that somehow she is still alive.”

Kai made a sound to show he understood. “Ah, so he really did love her...”

“Does love her,” Taemin corrected him.

Kai took a seat in the couch. “Anyway so what was so important that you called me over tonight? Did you want to sneak out tonight?”

Taemin sat down opposite him. “It’s about my marriage.”

“Is it happening?” Kai started clapping and cheering like he was at a sports event. “Congratulations, so who’s the lucky girl? Have I met her? Is she from Seoul? Or did you meet her abroad?”

“No nothing’s happening yet.” Taemin said while Kai pouted in fake sadness. “Minho wants me to find a wife soon and I really am dreading that decision.”

Kai leaned back in his seat. “Well there are only about five or six eligible ladies who are candidates based on their backgrounds, age and upbringing. Can’t you just draw the name out of the hat? I mean you don’t have to love her as such. You can always have someone on the side in case.”

The way Taemin frowned at Kai gave his friend the impression he had spoken unwisely. “Ok so maybe you can’t have another woman, but maybe you just don’t know them well enough to make a decision yet. Why don’t we go through them while we explore?”

“Explore where?” Taemin asked starting to sound excited. “Should we do some archery? Or we can do dancing in the studio or—“

“—actually I was thinking more of something a little more extreme.” Going over to his jacket Kai lifted it up to reveal a long barrelled hunting rifle. The sight of the weapon made Taemin gulp hard; he had not touched a gun like that before. “I know it’s not as sophisticated as one of your pistols.” Kai began, “but we could shoot some deer or rabbits in the forest just on the borders of the city here. We’d be back before anyone would notice.”

Taemin clasped his hands together, his face twisting anxiously. “Kai… You know that the only times I am allowed to hold a gun is when I’m in the firing range and even then Minho is usually with me.”

“I know it is a risk,” Kai admitted covering it up. “But you’re an adult now so they shouldn’t be so hard on you if we get caught. I on the other hand may get at least twenty whacks on my shins for it and an extra one just in case.”

Taemin breathed out, thinking about it for a moment. “Alright, we’ll have to take a cab or something because the staff will get suspicious if we ask to use one of the cars.”

“Sounds good to me; I’ll meet you at the back of the palace with a cab.” Taemin agreed with Kai and his friend left the room quickly. Glancing around to check that no one was in he gestured for the nearest maid to come over.
“What is it your highness?”

“Is father’s office unoccupied?”

She nodded. Taemin thanked her and then quickly made his way down the hall and to the room. It was still neat and tidy since no one was in there except for the cleaners. Glancing over at the book shelf on one wall he spotted what he was searching for; the thin barrelled, maple wood handled rifle on a mount sitting on the top shelf.

After he took it down he carefully treaded over to his father’s desk and opened the first drawer. In a leather pouch he founded the bullets. Stuffing them in his pocket he took the un-loaded gun out as quickly as he could, heading back to his room.

He met Kai outside standing with a taxi. He’d strapped the gun onto his back which was concealed by him wearing a long brown coat.
“I was wondering when you would come.” Kai patted him on the shoulder before opening the door, “after you your majesty.”

Kai asked the driver to pull over at the side street away from the gate. Taemin didn’t understand why until he saw Kai start to climb. Kai had an advantage due to his height whereas Taemin needed a hand to help him up as well as hold his gun when he had to haul his body over the other side in one agile move.

“Most of the animals will just be coming out of hiding.” Kai informed Taemin as they slowly trekked their way deeper in; the sun starting to go behind the trees and hills for the night. “Keep your eyes and ears open.”

“Are you sure we weren’t followed?” More than getting caught Taemin feared being spotted by the civilians, especially the teenage girls who worshipped him like a celebrity.

“Like I’ve always done I checked around before you came out and paid the driver a five thousand won bonus to make sure we wouldn’t be traced and another ten to keep his mouth shut.”

Taemin could relax. They kept treading lightly on the dirt. “Thank goodness it means if we get caught then it will be—oh my goodness!” A bird flapped its wings as it lifted into the air a few metres before them. Kai glanced at his friend.

“You really need to get out of the palace a little more.”

“Hey I was surprised alright?” Taemin argued before Kai put a finger over his lips to hush them both.  He took Taemin by the forearm and pulled him down to crouch behind a log.

"Over there, do you see it Taemin?" Kai was shaking Taemin's shoulder hard. Finally his friend turned to face where Kai's eyes were directed to. Near a tree, standing underneath in the shadows of the fading sunlight was a large bird, grooming itself with its elegant neck. Its beak was red and defined different from a duck. Its feathers appeared black.

Taemin glanced at Kai. "Yes, there it is." Slowly reaching over his back, he pulled out his rifle. Carefully, so as not to let the long barrel catch light he loaded it with a few bullets.

"Hey I saw it first."

"But I am ready to fire." Taemin glanced back at the target, it hadn't moved. Getting onto his feet, he let his finger touch the trigger. He steadied his grip, checked his aim, and then released. The bullet rippled through the air. The bird flapped its wings and fluttered down from its position, towards the lake.

Kai pat Taemin on the back with a smirk. "At least you tried--"

"--there it is!" Taemin started towards the lake, holding his gun ready for fire. "Kai, you should do the same quickly before it—“

But what happened next made both of them nearly drop their guns. The swan flapped its wings a little slower to descend, making a slight splash when it landed. Both the boys peered closer.

As the sun finally disappeared the water on the lake started to ripple, growing fiercer within seconds. Then a large wave came over the swan, engulfing it in a globe. A light started to glow, soon spurting out in rays here and there causing Taemin and Kai to cover their eyes. The light finally burst the ball. As the water fell back into the lake in droplets it carried something down to the shallow part.

When the display was over Kai and Taemin both removed their hands. Kais’ jaw fell open, Taemin’s eyes widened with delight, a faint smiling starting to curl on his lips.

“No way,” Kai and Taemin both faced each other. “Is this real?”

Before them, dressed in a navy blue ensemble, her hair in a long braid, wearing black netted gloves was a girl. She walked out of the water and bent down to wring her skirts.

“I don’t know,” Taemin could barely contain his wonder or intrigue. “But I hope so.”

Hi did we like the first chapter? These chapters are all going to be long lol (man a lot of hard work OTL)