The Uneasy Feelings

Nautical Miles Of Sky

 

 

          ‘Best friend?’ Luhan’s mind was even more puzzled by then. He glanced at a flabbergasted Yoona, a calm Jongin, and then at a surprised Sehun.

           “B-Best friend?” Yoona blinked several times. Jongin nodded. “Yeah. We were best friends since our childhood.” He said. “Think, Yoona. Look at me and think, you’ll remember.”

          Yoona stared at Jongin for a good minute, looking as if she was observing each and everything that was him. Then she shut her eyes tight, pressing her temples with her index fingers. “Jongin… Jongin… Jongin…” She kept on chanting, trying to get it into her mind.

          “You call me something else, choding ah.” Jongin smiled, watching the girl put so much effort to bring back her slipped memories. “Starting with the letter ‘K’….

          Suddenly, Yoona’s eyes flew open. was hung agape. “Kai!” She almost yelled out. “Jongin… Kai… You’re Kai, right?” She could barely catch her breath. A wide grin spread across the tan boy’s face. “You remember me now?” He asked. Yoona nodded quickly, a smile of disbelief appearing on her face. “Oh my god. Kai… How on earth did I forget?” She giggled at the irony.

          “You forgot your best friend?” Luhan was probably more shocked than Yoona herself. I mean, who forgets their closest friend?

          Jongin looked at Luhan and chuckled. “Uh… Yeah. Yoona has a bit of problem with her memory. Stuff… you know, slips from it.” He explained.

          “I know that she’s forgetful, but seriously… best friend?” Luhan still couldn’t believe it.

           “Hey, I still remembered didn’t I?” Yoona pouted, frowning at Luhan. Then she turned to Jongin again. “But Kai, what brought you here?” She asked. “It’s been, like forever. I didn’t really expect us to meet here.”

          Jongin bit his lip. “Yeah… me neither.” He replied, his voice a bit low this time. He glanced at Luhan and then smiled at Yoona. “I just wanted to see you. You have no idea how empty it felt without you, Yoona.”

          Yoona blinked. “You came here just to see me?” She asked and the latter nodded. “Really?” A nod again.

          “When are you going back then?” The girl asked. Jongin shrugged. “Uh… I don’t really know.” He replied. “I’m here to do something actually.” Yoona’s mouth formed an ‘o’ shape. “I see.” She said. “But I’m really sorry though, Kai. My memory is really such a jerk.”

          Jongin laughed silently and walked towards Yoona. “Are you happy to see me, Yoona ya?” He asked, smiling. Yoona stared back at him, confused at why the tanned boy was coming closer. “Um… Yeah, of course!” Yoona said, grinning widely. “I’m really happy to see you, Kai.”

          Without a warning, Jongin wrapped his arms around Yoona and hugged her loosely. Yoona couldn’t let out a word, she was feeling as awkward as ever. “Um… Kai?” She mumbled.

 

 

(Luhan POV)

 

          Things weren’t going how I was hoping for, and I wasn’t sure that it was supposed to be this way. Jongin claimed that he was Yoona’s friend (yeah, ‘best’ friend, but still a friend) but the way he was talking and acting seemed like they were lovers who had seen each other after a good whole year. What made me more uncomfortable was that he didn’t even hold back his actions and just pretended that both I and Sehun weren’t even there. I tried telling myself not to feel anything bad by the scene unfolding before me, but I couldn’t help biting my lip and feeling down.

          “Ahem. Can you let go of her now? As you can see, she’s not so comfortable because of you acting like this all of a sudden.” Sehun cleared his throat and said bluntly at Jongin who let go of Yoona with a smile. “Oh, sorry Yoona.” Jongin apologized, stepping away. “I… I’m so stupid. I just missed you so much and… and wanted to hug you a little. Mianhae.”

          Yoona shook her head quickly, giving a smile even though I could see the nervousness, anxiety and confusion written all over her face. “A-Aniyo, Kai ya.” Yoona quickly said, waving her hands in refusal. “It’s okay. It’s been a year after all.” She glanced at me while talking with her best friend and I tried to smile, which only resulted in lips pressing into a thin line.

           “Annyeonghaseyo.” Thanks to the two ahjummas that entered right after that to the shop, the awkward tension between the four of us was thankfully gone. Yoona immediately rushed to them and bowed. “Welcome to ‘Im’s Food World’! May I take your order please?” She asked politely as the ahjummas took their seats.

           Jongin gave a look at me, and then at Sehun. “Uh, sorry. I have just been a complete idiot in front of you and Yoona.” He smiled apologetically. Then he bowed at us. “I’m sorry.”

           “Oh, no no!” I quickly waved my hands just like Yoona did. “You don’t have to apologize at all. It was pretty touching to see two friends meeting each other after a long time.” I failed a cheerful laugh. “And it’s good that Yoona remembered you, right? No need to be sorry at all.”

           “Thanks, Luhan.” He said, his smile brightening up. Then he turned to Sehun. “Won’t you forgive me?” He asked quietly. The younger boy just shrugged. “Just don’t do anything stupid.” He said, without once looking into the other’s eyes.

           “Uh… I think I have to go now.” I said after a few moments. Yoona came back to the counter just then. “But you haven’t even had your food yet.” She studied my face with concern. I smiled to her. “I already had my breakfast.” Lying this one time wouldn’t hurt for sure. “Anyway, thanks. See you later.”

           Jongin was waving at me cheerfully as Sehun just stared at me as if he knew what was in my mind right then. Yoona was slightly confused as well, but no worries, she hadn’t noticed.

 

    

 

          As I walked back home, I was having this sudden uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. I tried to tell myself that I was just really hungry and my stomach was demanding for immediate consumption of food. Yeah, maybe I was too hungry. After a good breakfast, Luhan’s stomach would stop tickling him.

 

           It didn’t.

 

           Was I worried about how Jongin was acting back at the shop? But he himself said that they were friends, so why was I feeling weird and… bothered by it? I didn’t think that I should be, if I were. I was just someone Yoona met almost a week ago. Jongin was her life-long best friend. Obviously, there’d be a  gap between our places. I may like Yoona, but that was no reason to freak out whenever I saw her with another person. Moreover, with a friend.

           Luhan, turn on the TV. Don’t you dare think about strange stuff. I plopped down onto the couch in the living room and turned the TV on. I stared into the screen, but couldn’t concentrate on a thing happening behind it. Getting annoyed, I pulled out my cell phone.

          “Baekhyun ah, you can come over.” I said, before he could even say “Hello”.

          “Done with breakfast? That was quicker than other days.” He chuckled from the other line.

          “I had it at home. Now please come soon before I die of boredom.” I said.

          “Okay okay. I’m coming.”

 

 

           “So, you came back home because this best friend guy was there?” Baekhyun asked, munching on some snack.

          “Not because he was there, but because it was so awkward.” I said, flipping through channels on the TV. “He was being all ‘I missed you choding ah, you don’t you how empty it felt without you’ and then randomly went over and hugged her. How am I supposed to react to that? Clap and drop a tear at the drama?”

           “Choding ah?” Baekhyun started laughing expectedly. “Nice name.”

          “I knew you’d like it.” I muttered.     

          “Okay. Anyway, how do you feel about it? Relieved? Happy? Sad? Angry? Jealous?” Baekhyun said, munching on another mouthful of snack.

          “None.” I said.

          “Liar.” He chuckled.

          “I’m not.” I glared at him.

           “But I can see it from your face, Luhan. You don’t have the look you had the past week or so.” Baekhyun leaned in to observe my face. I pushed him a little. “What look are you talking about?”

           “The I-can’t-get-any-happier-than-this look.” He answered. I rolled my eyes. “I never had a look called that.”

           “Yes you did.” Baekhyun said, and then he sat cross-legged on the couch, facing me and staring at me seriously. “Watch out, Luhan. After what you’ve told me, I think that the guy is a little too straightforward. People like that are usually dangerous. Don’t let him snatch Yoona away.” He said to me in a low, warning tone.

          

 

*******************************************************************

 

A/N:

*Crawls in a corner and sobs* What have i written? ;~; Jongmal mianhae~ T-T
I'll try to be a less boring author in the future T-T
And um... I want to let you know that, maybe it might take me a week or two to update the next chappie ._. I'm in a little bit of a struggle to arrange the coming events in the story that's why~
*Secretly praying that you liked this chapter*
Thank you for the lovely comments :) It boosts me up so much!! xD hehehe~~ <3

Annyeong!~ ^^