50 Nautical Miles Of Sky

Nautical Miles Of Sky

(Yoona POV)

 

          *rrrriiinnngg!!!!*

          I shot straight up from my sleep when the sound of the annoying alarm clock hit my ears like some thunder. I quickly took it to my hand and pushed the button to stop the loud ringing, but it wouldn’t stop.

          “Yaaaaaaaah!!!” I screamed out and threw it onto the flow unconsciously and immediately with a thud, the noise died down.

          “Ooops..” I murmured. “I hope it’s not broken.”

          I had my breakfast and packed everything to leave for the shop. At sharp 9:00, the usual bell ringing was there. I skipped to the door and opened it with a smile.

          “Morning, Sehun ah!” I greeted him happily. He gave a wide smile. “Morning, Yoongie!” He said. “Ready to go?” I nodded. “Wait till I get my things.” I said and ran inside to get my backpack. “Let’s go.” We both started walking to our shop, chatting like usual about random things.

          As soon as we opened it, we both started our work immediately. Sehun and I were the only ones who did all the work in our shop and we both were always busy. There weren’t many requests for jobs from our shop, and it’s not like Sehun and I really cared. Since we had been doing this together for over a year, we enjoyed working, just the two of us.

          The customers started entering one by one and giving their orders. Both of us had to keep on running here and there, taking orders and delivering food for them.

 

 

         I was in the kitchen to get some water when Sehun came running to me. “Yah Yoongie… the guy from yesterday is here.” He whispered in my ear. I looked at him, confused. “Which guy?”

          “The one who ordered sandwich and coffee.” He said and I crossed my eyebrows. Who?

          I walked out to the counter and looked around and saw the familiar brown haired guy. Oh. That one. The stranger. I thought. Why was he back again?

          He was sitting at the same table he was sitting at, the previous day. He had a laptop and was doing something with it. Hand-combing my hair a little and pulling down onto my apron, I approached him.

          “Ahem.” I cleared my throat and he looked at me. As soon as he saw me, he smiled.

          Such a nice smile.

          What.

          “Hey Yoona.” He said.

          “Hello…” I replied with a poker-face. “…stranger.”

          His face changed into an annoyed one.”When are you really gonna stop calling me stranger?” He frowned. “Um… when I know you’re name.”

         “Fine. I’m Luhan. I hope you don’t call me stranger again.” He said in a displeased manner. I smiled. “Okay.” I said. “So why are you here again today, Luhan?”

          He grinned. “Aren’t you supposed to say ‘May I take your order please?’”

          “You said we aren’t strangers anymore, so is it wrong asking that?” I asked, raising my eyebrows. “Or maybe I should believe you came here again today to-“

          “Shut it.” He cut me off quickly. “Don’t you dare say it!”

          “Okay.” I shrugged, trying to hide my smirk. “So why are you here?”

          “You like stars, don’t you?” Luhan asked, staring at me. I nodded. “Why?”

          “I need help from you.” He said.

          “Huh?”

          “I need your help with an article I have to submit tomorrow. Will you be able to help me and see if I’m doing okay?” He asked. I glanced at the clock on the wall. It was almost 5:30. I put a finger on my chin and thought for a while. “Uh… If it’s about stars, I think I can help.” I said. “But I can only help you after the shop’s closed. It’ll be closed at six thirty.”

          Luhan nodded, glancing at his laptop screen and then at me. “So if I wait until six thirty, you’ll be able to help me after that, right?” He asked and I nodded. “Uh… yeah. But will it be okay for you?”

          He smiled cutely. “Yeah. I’m not even completely done yet. I can finish it off here.” He said.

          That smile sure is something.

         Yoona!

          “Okay then.” I smiled. “Do you want something?”

          “A coffee please.”

         “It’ll be here in a while.”

 

 

 

       “Here is your hot chocolate!” I kept the cup on the table cheerfully. He looked into the cup and then at me. “Hot chocolate?”

       “Yes, is something wrong?”

        “I ordered a coffee…”

        PABOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     

 

          Finally, our work for the day was finished at 6.30. Both I and Sehun took a long breath of relief.

          “Daaaaaaamn, I’m so tired.” Sehun wiped off his sweat with a tissue. I did the same. “Yeah, but we did a great job again today. Well done for us!” I said happily. “I can finally go home and relax!”

          Sehun stared at me. I looked at him. “What?”

          “The Luhan guy us still here. Didn’t you tell me that you were going to help him with some article?” He asked, and I mentally slapped myself. How could you forget?????

          “Oh, that’s right.” I said. “I’ll go home after I’m done with it. You head home without me okay?”

          “Noona will you be fine? I’m kind of worried…”

           I smiled and ruffled his hair playfully. “I’ll be fine, pabo. He doesn’t look like a bad guy. Don’t worry Sehunnie.” He smiled. “Okay then. I’ll go first. Good night Yoongie.” He said his goodbyes.

          “Yeah, see you tomorrow Sehun ah. Good night!”

         

 

 

          Luhan was still working with his laptop when I went over to him after Sehun had left. Now it was just the two of us in the shop. When he saw me, he gave the usual smile. “Sorry, for making you wait here longer. You must be tired.” He apologized. I shook my head. If it was for stars, there was no way I would be minding it. “No, it’s okay. I don’t mind since it’s about stars you’re doing it. If it was about something else, forget that Yoona exists.” I laughed as he chuckled quietly with me.

          He looks handsome when he chuckled too.

          Brain, just shut up.

 

          “Thanks.” He said. I nodded. “So, should we start?” I asked, pulling out a chair and sitting beside him. He nodded and turned his laptop towards me. “I’ve typed a lot. I want you to read it for me and check what parts I have to cancel out, and if you know interesting stuff that I could add, I’d appreciate it if you told me.” He said.

          I nodded, pursing my lips and started reading his article. Let’s see how much he has dug up about stars.

         

 

 

(Luhan POV)

 

          Both I and Yoona stayed in the shop, proof-reading and editing my article until almost 7.30 that night. She had unbelievably good knowledge about the space and sky, and she had taught me lots of new things about them. I was supposed to listen to her go on and on about the space endlessly, but some of the time I could just sit there and stare at her while she talked tirelessly.

          When we were done, I was kind of disappointed that we had to part. I had a good time being with her, to be honest, and watching her face. And I even got to learn lots from her, and all that made me not want to go home.

          “So… if that’s all, aren’t we done?” Yoona asked with a smile. I nodded, smiling back. “That’s all. Thanks a bunch, you know. If you hadn’t helped, I don’t know how much I would have missed.” I said as she giggled. “I feel flattered.” She said, grinning. “I don’t usually get praised like that, you know. Maybe just by Sehun and some friends from school.”

          “Sehun?”

          “Yeah, the one who works with me.” She said as I nodded. “You have good qualities. Except that you’re extremely dumb sometimes. And weird.”

          “Yah!!” She yelled out and I laughed. “Okay, I was kidding!” I said.

          “So, I’m going now.” She stood up, grabbing her backpack. I stood up too. “Can you go home alone?” I asked as she nodded. “Yeah, I can. But I’m going to the beach first.” She said. “If I go home right now, I can’t go to the beach later.”

          “Are you going to watch the stars?” I asked. “Yeah.” She said, and smiled. “Want to come with me? I can show you some things that I told you about.”

          My face immediately lightened up like some bulb. I was going to spend more time with her! “Sure. I’m really bored anyway.” I agreed without holding back.

 

          The beach was really quiet and peaceful again that night. The ground was dark, but the sky was illuminated with millions of stars. I was fascinated once again. “Wow… I think there’s double of the previous night, now.” I murmured and Yoona laughed. “It’s really nice, right? Once I come here, I never want to go home.” I couldn’t agree more with her. I never was so fond of stars and space stuff, but suddenly it had all started to become interesting.

         

          We were sitting on the sand, staring at the sky together. It really was awesome that I was practically drooling. “On clear nights like these, you can see the constellations related to the zodiacs.” Yoona spoke. She pointed at a certain star. “Can you see it? That’s the star of Reguius from the constellation of Leo.” I tilted my head and leaned closer to see it clearly. It was one of the brightest stars over there.

          “And a bit further away over there is the star of Spica, from the constellation of Virgo.” I listened and nodded. “The star of Acturus from the constellation of Libra is over there.” She kept pointing at each star as she went on. “And there’s the star of Polaris from the constellation of Ursa minor. Right between all those stars over there is the seventh-starred big dipper.” When I glanced at her face, I saw her smile that was as bright as those stars. “And look! The northern star!” She pointed at another star. “It’s visible all year round.” She said. “When I watched the stars with my mother when I was young, she would always say that the northern star will watch over me when she’s not there.” Yoona giggled.

          “Do you know what is ‘Fifty nautical miles of sky’?” She asked me. I shook my head.

          “It’s the distance from the earth to stratosphere.” She said. “That’s one of the first things mom taught me.”

           “I see.” I said. “Where’s your mother now?” I asked out of curiosity. Yoona took a deep breath and looked at the ground. “She’s dead.” She said and I frowned a bit. So her mother was not here either. “I’m sorry.” I apologized.

          Yoona nodded. “My mother dreamt of being a cosmonaut ever since she was little. Even after I was born, she was always researching about space. She was the person who probably had the biggest love for the space on earth.” She said quietly. “That’s probably how I grew to like space too. After hearing things from mom, I grew really interested over it. It’s just so strange and exciting. My mother wanted to discover and explore the world beyond, so she set her goal. But a year ago when she was in her perilous and grueling training, I got the news that she had died.” Yoona hugged her knees tightly.

          I felt bad for her, as a fellow mother-less person. I moved a little closer to her and gently touched her hair, patting it. “Your mother was a strong woman.” I said, encouragingly. “You should be like that too, giving whatever it takes to pursue your dreams.” Yoona looked up at me and smiled. “Thank you.”

 

 

          Yoona shared lots of amazing stories to me that she had heard from her mother. She said that she was really happy that she had someone who she could tell them all to, since she always hoped that she could feel like an expert while telling people what they didn’t know. I was gladly listening to each and every word she spoke, because I liked everything about it. Her voice, her cute expressions, and the things she told me about.

          Yoona checked the time. “Hey, I have to go now.” She stood up and I did too. “Wow, it feels like the time went so quickly tonight!” She exclaimed with a laugh.

          “Yeah.” I smiled at her. “Thanks, Yoona. Yours and your mother’s stories are really awesome. I enjoyed them a lot.” She gave back a beautiful smile. “Thanks to you too. It was maybe the best night I’ve spent with the stars.” She said, putting on her backpack. “I mean it, thanks a lot… Lu… Lu….” She crossed her eyebrows while pondering. “Lulu!”

          “Lulu?”  What the hell was ‘Lulu’?

          Yoona laughed. “Because I only remember that part from your name.” I chuckled. She was still dumb and weird as ever. “It’s Luhan. And you’re welcome.”

          “Oh, Luhan.” She said. “Bye Luhan! See you around!”

 

          And that night I discovered that Yoona was really an amazing girl.

      

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

A/N:

Omg it's long! xD

And a wild Sehunnie appeared! xD Hehehe... I really can't write a story without putting  Luhan and Sehun together in it~ x3
Anyway, thank you for all your best wishes everyone~ :') Author-nim is touched~ :')

And thanks for subscribing and commenting, it's a big encouragement for me~ :)
Hope you liked this chappie too!~ \O/

Annyeong!~ *waves* <3