The Surprise Attack

Nautical Miles Of Sky

 

 

(Author POV)

 

          Jongin entered the restaurant, taking fast footsteps. He wiped away the few beads of sweat on his forehead and scanned the place to see the person who had called him there some hours ago.

          The middle-aged man who was wearing a suit waved at Jongin as he walked over to the table and bowed obediently. “I am sorry I am late.” He said, feeling himself getting nervous. The man gave a genuine smile and shook his head. “You are not late, I came here a bit earlier.” He said, gesturing Jongin to take a seat beside him. The boy bowed again and silently seated himself on a chair in front of the man.

          “What do you want to order?” He started flipping through the menu.

          “I want a hot coffee, sir.” Jongin said quietly. The man glanced at him. “You don’t want to eat anything?” The latter nodded. “Yes.” The man sighed. “Alright then.” When the waiter came, he gave both their orders and settled himself to talk with Jongin.

          “Why did you want to meet with me, sir?” Jongin was the first one to ask. The man smiled. “Oh, that. I just wanted to ask you how things are going on.” He said.

          “Nae?” Jongin asked, his nervousness growing inside rapidly.

          “Relax yourself, Jongin ah.” The latter laughed silently. “You look too nervous.” He said. “I am talking about Yoona. Did you tell her that you like her yet?”

           “No.” Jongin was staring at the table. The man intertwined his fingers together and put his hands on the table, observing the boy’s face. “Why didn’t you?” He asked. Jongin glanced at the man a little.

          “I…” Jongin gasped. “I was not ready yet.” He answered.

          “I see.” The man nodded slowly. “But it is time that you should be ready, Jongin.” He said, staring at the boy deeply. “You could not do what I told you to do before, right?”

          Jongin nodded. He was clutching onto his jeans very tightly that his knuckles were white. “Nae.”

          “I told you to be with Yoona all the time, and try not to let Luhan talk to her right?” Jongin nodded again. “But almost every time I saw you with Yoona, I saw Luhan there too.” His voice indicated that he wasn’t very happy

           “I know you like Yoona very much, Jongin. And you want to see Yoona be happy and smiling all the time. You should do this to make that smile remain on her face.” He said. Jongin bit his lip.

          “Yoona is happy and smiling all the time when he’s with Luhan, Mr. Lu.” Jongin said. “They both like each other very much. Yoona is the one who invites Luhan to whatever we both plan on doing. She loves it when he is there, sir.” He explained.

          Mr. Lu’s lips pursed tightly. “You know why I am asking you to do this, don’t you?”

          “Yes, I do.” Jongin murmured.

          “Although she may be cheerful like that now, if she continues being with Luhan, sooner or later, that smile is going to disappear. When that happens, you are going to feel hurt and angry too, Jongin. She is like a daughter to me, and you care for her more than anything. Can you bear seeing Yoona hurt?” Jongin shook his head. “No, sir.”

          Jongin was feeling very frustrated at Mr. Lu’s words, but he was just patiently sitting there, controlling himself and listening to the man talk. He didn’t believe that Mr. Lu was right. Knowing his intentions and his whole story, he knew that Yoona wasn’t the one who was going to be hurt. Luhan was. Why was Mr. Lu ignoring his own son and only thinking about Yoona’s side?

          “So, do it for us all, Jongin. Luhan is not here right now, and this is your chance.” Mr. Lu was sounding desperate. “You accepted it yourself, so I am counting on you. You are Yoona’s closest friend, and I am sure Yoona would feel a lot of passion towards you.”

          Jongin swallowed.

          “You don’t have to tell her tonight. Just do it before Luhan comes back, okay?” He smiled. Jongin looked at his eyes full of betrayal. “N-Nae, Mr. Lu.” He agreed because he knew he had no other choice.

 

xxxxxxxxxxx

 

         When Sehun entered the shop next day, Yoona was already sitting at the counter, biting her lip and holding her phone.

          “Why didn’t you even wait for me, Yoongie?” The boy asked and Yoona pouted. “Mianhae Sehunnie. I woke up around six today and just couldn’t sleep at all, so I had to come here early since I didn’t have anything to do at home.” She said as Sehun seated beside her. “What are you doing here, then?” He asked teasingly.

         “I have kept everything ready before you came, you ungrateful idiot.” She snapped.

         “Okay okay, I was joking. Gumawo.” Sehun laughed, and smiled when he saw Yoona nervously play around with her phone. “Are you waiting for a call?” He asked. Yoona shook her head. “No. I’m just…”

          “So you are waiting for a call from Luhan.” The latter smirked and Yoona lightly slapped his arm. “No! I’m just… I was just wondering if he has woken up by now.” She gasped. “I don’t know whether I should sent a text to him or not.”

          “He’ll think you're bothersome.” Sehun said and Yoona frowned. “OH SEHUN AH!!!” She screamed out. “I hate you and your discouraging choice of words!”

          “I am joking, noona!” Sehun burst out laughing. “It seems like you’ve become a lot more serious about things after you’ve met him.” He said and Yoona didn’t reply. She just stared at her phone. “Ottokhae… I don’t want to be bothersome.” She murmured.

          “Send him a text. Even if he’s out there busy saving the world, he’ll reply to it as soon as he sees it.” Sehun said and Yoona stared at him. “What do you mean?” She muttered.

           “Just text him and he’ll reply. That’s what I’m saying you blockheaded woman!”

          “YAAAAAH WHO TOLD YOU TO CALL ME A BLOCKHEADED WOMAN!? RESPECT ME YOU TWERP!”

          “I understand so just stop hesitating and sent him a text!”

          “Fine…” Yoona bit her lip once again and wrote something. She shut her eyes tight and clicked ‘send’.

 

          Good morning, Luhan! Are you having fun at your camp so far? Did you sleep well last night? Good luck with the trip!~ :D –Y

 

          Her phone buzzed after a minute.

 

         Morning, Yoona :) Yeah I did manage to get some sleep though I’m a little tired. There had been no activities yet, but they’ll start soon. Thanks for texting by the way. I thought you’d have forgotten me by now :P –L

 

          No way! >< I’m not THAT forgetful! –Y

 

          Kekeke… I’m just kidding xD Thanks anyway. I’m really glad you texted :) –L

 

 

 

 

 

 

          (Luhan POV)

 

          It was the third day of the camp already, and I was one of the few ones who were happy that we were leaving the next morning. It wasn’t totally boring, to be honest, it was a lot of fun participating in all those activities with the members of the club. Moreover, it was a lot of fun having to spend whole three days together with Baekhyun and Chanyeol so it wasn’t really boring. I was just excited to go back home because there was a certain girl who I needed to see the face of after spending three whole days away from her. What kept me the happiest was that she texted me every day, asking me about the camp and how I was doing. And she always told me that she was waiting for me.

         Baekhyun, Chanyeol and I were sitting at the beach after the activities to enjoy by ourselves that night.

          “So this is what you both do every night?” Baekhyun asked, staring at the stars in amusement. I nodded. “Yeah. Mostly.” I said. Chanyeol was grinning wide. “The stars are really nice when there are many.” He said. “She must have a very big liking to watching them.”

          “Do you think she has the same dream as her mother did?” Baekhyun asked, pulling his legs close to his chest. I gasped. “I don’t know.” I said. “But even if she does have that dream, I won’t be stopping her.” Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol immediately looked at me as if flabbergasted. “What?” They both asked in unison.

           I smiled, taking a deep breath and facing my friends. “I’m going to ask Yoona out when I return from the camp.” I said and they looked even more confused. “What?” I chuckled. “Do you think it’s a bad idea?”

          “What’s a bad idea?” Baekhyun asked, staring at me deeply. “Asking her to be my girlfriend.” I said.

          Chanyeol laughed humorously. “Yah Luhan. You found the girl you like after seventeen whole years of being single and you are asking us if it’s a bad idea to ask her out?” He asked. I sighed. “I’m just not sure…” I said. “I think there’s someone else who likes her.”

          Baekhyun grabbed my hand and stared at me deeply. “Don’t hesitate just because there’s someone else that likes her. I told you before right? Don’t let him snatch Yoona away. You’ll regret letting her go when you had the chance. Ask her out, Luhan. I’m 99.99999 percent sure that she will accept it.” He said.

           I pursed my lips, looking at the ground for a while, and then looked at my best friends. I smiled and nodded. “Thanks guys. I’ll definitely ask her when I get back.” They yelled out and jumped at me, ruffling my hair and tickling me playfully. “Look at our lucky Lulu! Who’d think that this is the guy who said in his middle school that he’ll never ever take a girlfriend till his death?” Chanyeol laughed like a maniac, suffocating me with his tight hug. I tried to yell back at them, but my voice didn’t come out. “We’ll pray for you, Lulu! You have to make that goddess your property!” Baekhyun said, squeezing my cheeks so hard that I wanted to cry in pain.

          At least, they’re not turning me down. Encouragement was what I need right now after all.

 

 

(Author POV)

 

          “Sehun ah. I’ll be leaving now.” Yoona said, waving her dongsaeng goodbye for the day. It was one hour earlier than the closing time, but Yoona had to attend to the park near her house for Jongin’s request. He had texted Yoona that day, asking her to meet him at the park at 7.00 pm because he had something waiting for her. Yoona thought that it was one like the bright surprises that Jongin used to give back in Busan, but she never thought that the surprise would be that big that she couldn’t even believe it was true.

 

          Yoona was smiling when she arrived at the park, wearing a beautiful yellow dress, something she didn’t usually wear. Although she didn’t know what her best friend had planned for her, she wanted Jongin to know that she was anticipating his surprise. Therefore, she wanted to look a little decent and nice that night. Also, it had been such a long time that he had called her out for some kind of mysterious thing.

          Yoona looked around the silent park, searching for her familiar friend. When she didn’t see him, she glanced at her phone. “Two minutes past seven…” She murmured to no one. “I’m not that late am I?”

          “Yes you aren’t that late.” Yoona nearly jumped out in surprise, hearing Jongin’s voice right behind her. She turned around abruptly, wide eyes staring at the smiling boy who had his hands hidden behind his back. “Kai!” She exclaimed, letting out a sigh of relief. “You scared me!”

          Jongin flashed a wonderful smile. “Sorry for scaring you like that.” He said, and Yoona narrowed her eyes at him. “What are you hiding behind your back?”

          Jongin raised his eyebrows. “Am I hiding something?” He asked. Yoona moved a step towards him, and he took a step backwards right after. “What is it? Is it a cockroach? A spider? Maybe a… mouse?” Yoona kept on questioning. Jongin chuckled and motioned her to stop.

          “It’s nothing like that, choding ah. I'm not that horrible.” He said as Yoona raised her eyebrows. “What is it? Is it for me?” Jongin nodded. “But I want you to stop trying to know what it is yet.” He said. “Keep it aside, and come see the stars with me for now.” He took Yoona’s hand and started walking further inside the park.

          “You brought me here to watch the stars?” Yoona asked. Jongin shrugged. “Yeah, I guess so. That and maybe something else too.” He winked at her, making the latter pout. “You haven’t changed at all have you?” She said and the boy shrugged again.

 

          Yoona’s eyes widened when she saw the object standing in the moonlight on the grass. “Oh my god…” She covered with her hand in disbelief. “Is that a… Is that a telescope?” She breathed out. Jongin was smiling and staring at her. He nodded. “Yeah. It’s your mother’s telescope. I brought it with me when I came.” He said and saw Yoona’s eyes sparkle in happiness and excitement. Unconsciously, she wrapped her arms around Jongin and hugged him tightly. “Oh my god, Kai. You don’t know how much I wanted it. Thank you! Thank you so much!” She was almost in tears.

           Jongin was a little taken aback by her sudden movement, but he hugged her back nonetheless. “You don’t have to thank me, Yoong. I always like surprising you with things like this, right?” He said, chuckling. “Come on, let’s see the sky up close.” He lead Yoona over to it and motioned her to sit down on the grass.

 

          “Wow. This is really amazing!” Yoona was in wonderland, as she moved the telescope left and right, up and down, viewing the stars bigger and brighter. “I feel like I’m in a dream!” She cried out. While she was lost in her star-filled world, Jongin was pursing his lips and holding tightly onto what he was hiding sometime ago.

          ‘Should I really do this?’ He asked his mind. ‘I should probably do this before it’s too late. Come on, Jongin. It doesn’t matter if you get rejected, just let her know how you feel!’

          “Y-Yoona…” Jongin said quietly, and the girl moved away from the telescope for once. “Hmm?” She asked, smiling as brightly as ever.

          The boy bit his lip nervously, every fiber in him hesitating his next move. “I have something to tell you.” He said.

           “Go ahead.” Yoona nodded. Mustering up every last bit of courage and strength he had, Jongin took the bouquet of red roses out and held it out to his best friend. Yoona blinked, staring at the big bouquet. Her smile was replaced with a bit of anxiety.

          “This is…?” She asked, her voice low and quiet. Jongin took a deep breath. It was then or never.

          “Yoona, I like you.” He confessed, pouring the feelings in his heart out into the silence before him.

 

*************************************************************************

 

A/N:

*Dun Dun Dun*

I hope that another bit of your confusion is cleared away by this chappie ^^

I can't believe I've reached 60 subscribers T-T Seriously, I believe that's more than enough for this story T-T Kamsamnida~

And the comments make me crai ;-; How can I thank you guys? ;-;

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the chapter to the fullest! :D *waves*