Heartbreaking Story

Goodbye Summer

 

 

 

The friend label is a label I got to hate.

The feelings I’ve hidden still remain as a painful secret memory.

The photos that couldn’t define our relationship are a heartbreaking story.

I’m sorry, summer, now goodbye.

~~~

 

In Namsam High School, the teacher’s room.

“Saem!”

The shriek pulled Sunyoung out of her reverie. She glanced up to see two of her students staring at her, their faces expectant.

“Yah, is that the way to call your teacher? I almost had a heart attack!” Sunyoung admonished, trying to calm her racing heart. Upon hearing her remark, her students wore an identical sheepish grin.

“Sorry, saem. But we’ve called you for about 3 times already.” The taller of the two, Jiyeon explained. Her friend, Jieun nodded vigorously.

“Ah, really? Sorry, my mind is quite preoccupied right now.” Sunyoung replied bashfully, her cheeks pinking a little. How embarrassing for a teacher to be caught daydreaming by her students.

At least I wasn’t in class, or I’ll be teased endlessly by those kids.

“Anyway, what brings you kids here?”

“We came to passed up the homework you gave last week. We’ve collected it from the whole class.” Jieun gestured her head toward the load she was carrying in her arms.

“Oh, thank you. Just put it right here.” Sunyoung patted an empty space on the corner of her desk.

The girls then walked over to her desk, stacking the notebooks neatly on top of it. Just as she was about to dismiss them, Jiyeon exclaimed excitedly.

“Saem! Is that you boyfriend? He’s so handsome!” She was pointing at a picture tacked on Sunyoung’s notice board. Sunyoung reluctantly follow Jiyeon’s hand to stare blankly at the photo. It was a photograph of her and Jinki, taken on their senior year’s school event at the beach.

They were laughing, his arm slung casually around her shoulders and they were holding sparklers. They weren’t looking at the camera, but at each other, grinning widely. It was obvious that the picture taken was candid, since Sunyoung knows she’ll never show her true feelings, especially not in a photo. But at that moment, she guessed her control slipped.

I look like a lovesick fool, gazing at Jinki like that. If only I just tell him then…

“Wow, Jiyeon’s right! Your boyfriend is so cool, saem!” Jieun’s words yanked Sunyoung back to reality. She smiled a bitter smile as she reached for the photograph.

“Aniya, he’s not my boyfriend.”

I wish though.

“Eyy, don’t lie. Saem, it’s obvious you are-”

“You definitely looked like you’re in love in this-”

“No.” Sunyoung said forcefully, causing her students to pipe down.

“He’s my…” She trailed off, thinking. She hated to label Jinki as merely a friend, since he’s more than that to her. But their relationship had never developed to more than just friends.

“He’s my…my twin!” She grinned suddenly, remembering their friends’ silly theories.

“But…you don’t look anything alike!” Jieun countered, Jiyeon agreeing with her.

“Yah, twins doesn’t mean they have to look alike. Didn’t you learn about fraternal twins in science class?” Sunyoung retorted, her tone serious, but her expression playful. Before her students can ask more, she cut them off.

“That’s enough discussion about my love life; go back to your class now. I have work to do.”

When they just stood there, clearly wanting to argue some more, Sunyoung raised a brow.

“You want me to give you some extra homework for the weekend?” She inquired sweetly, but with a threatening smile. After that, her students hastily bowed and left the teacher’s room.

Sunyoung sighed and looked back down at the picture she’d forgotten she held. A smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she thought back to that day. It was simply magical. They have no worries then, having just finished their exams before going for the trip. And most importantly, they were together. That’s all that matters.

Her smile dimmed as she caressed Jinki’s laughing face with her fingertips. It’s been 10 years since she last saw him, through the slits of her curtains. After he moved away, there’s been no calls, no messages, no emails, no nothing. She understood that he was pissed at her when she refuses to see him off, but to not contact her at all is pretty harsh.

She did debated on whether or not to get in touch with him, but on the first month, she thought maybe he needed time to settle down first, so she didn’t call. Then she thought that she shouldn’t bother his study, so she would wait until his semester break. And then she kept putting it off until so much time had passed that even the thought of suddenly contacting him seemed awkward, so she never did.

Sunyoung shook her head in disbelief. After years of being together, one day they just lost contact, as easy as that.

Even after all those years, you still kept a part of my heart, Jinki. Funny how everything else changes, this feelings remains the same. I miss you so much. I wonder how you are now. I hope you’re well.

She silently wondered as she gazed at the picture.

“Park seongsaenim.”

The sound of her name being called jerked Sunyoung out of her thoughts. She quickly slammed the photo face down and stood up.

“Yes?” She answered, looking at Kim seongsaenim who were walking towards her.

“Park seongsaenim, the headmistress said she wants to see you in her office.”

“Ah, thank you Kim seongsaenim. I’ll be going there now.” She grinned at her, while inside she was fretting. She picked up her notebook and walked to the headmistress’ room.

I hope it’s not anything serious. Oh God, I hope this wasn’t about her silly orchid plant!

Last year, at the teachers’ Christmas celebration, Sunyoung drank quite a bit more than her intended share, and grown tipsy. As she was walking back to the teacher’s lounge after going to the restroom, she inevitably got lost and ended up at the office instead. There, she tripped over the headmistress’ prized orchids, which was placed as the office’s centerpiece. Having no recollection of the incident until a few days later, she kept mum when the headmistress demanded to know who the culprit is. Cowardly of her, she knew, but Sunyoung reasoned that she had to survive.

The thing was ugly anyway. They’ve replaced it with a much prettier rose arrangement, so no harm done.

As she arrived at the office, the clerk looked up and smiled welcomingly at her.

“Go right ahead, Park seongsaenim. She’s expecting you.”

After thanking the clerk, Sunyoung sauntered to the door, side eyeing the new flower arrangement guiltily, and knocked.

“Come in.”

A solemn voice greeted her as she strode inside the room.

“Ah, Park seongsaenim. Just the one I want to see. Please, have a sit.” 

---

 

A/N: Soooo, a longer chappie this time... This took place 10 years after Jinki and Sunyoung were separated. Sunyoung is a teacher in their old school. 

Ah yes, before I forgot, all the names of the places were made up. 

Anything you guys didn't understand about the stories, don't be shy and ask me.

If you want to comment or bash me about my writing, please go ahead. Constructive comments are very much welcome! ^^

Lastly, thanks to my subscribers, commenters and silent readers.

Have a nice day!