Déjà Vu

Goodbye Summer

 

Que Sera Sera,

Whatever will be will be,

The future’s not ours to see,

Que Sera Sera…

~~~

That weekend.

Sunyoung stared up at the huge building in front of her, squinted her eyes as the light from the sun reflected on the building’s many windows. She glanced back down at the paper crumpled in her palm.

‘One World Oil & Gas Inc., 5600 Myungdong Street, Apgujeong, Seoul.’

Yes, this is right. This is the place.

She stared again at the building, intimidated by its grand architecture, as well as the people dressed formally who were going in and out of it. Then, she looked down at herself, wearing a white shirt with a black tank top inside, blue jeans and wedges, feeling quite out of place.

I should’ve dress up more. I looked so unprofessional compared to those people in suits and all. But it’s Saturday, for God’s sake. Who wears suits to work on Saturday morning?

“Apparently these people did.” She muttered to herself, shaking her head in disbelief. “Well, to each of their own. Who am I to judge?”

She proceeds to the main desk, ignoring the curious stares from people inside the building, and pasted a sunny smile to her face.

“Annyeong haseyo. I’m Park Sunyoung, here to meet Choi Jinri-sshi. I have an appointment.”

The lady manning the desk eyed her doubtfully, looking at her up and down.

“Erm, perhaps you’re mistaken?” She said politely, but there’s an unmistakable sarcasm intoned.

Sunyoung’s smile died away as she felt an anger surging inside her at this person’s haughtiness.

What. The. Hell?! She didn’t even bother checking before saying that! Haven’t she heard of the proverb ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’? I could be her boss’ wife or something like that if she didn’t know better.

“Maybe, if you check first, you’ll know that I’m not.” She gritted out, trying to keep her temper in control.

The receptionist grudgingly bends down and typed something on her computer. Her eyes widened when she realizes that Sunyoung indeed have an appointment with the upper management.

“Yes, you do have an appointment at 10, Park Sunyoung-sshi. I’m so sorry, it’s my mistake.” She apologized, her expression contrite. She hastily pulled out a piece of paper and scribbled something. Then she handed it to Sunyoung, careful not to have eye contact with her.

“Please proceed to the place indicated. I’ve written down the directions below it.” She pointed to her left. “The elevator is right over there.”

Sunyoung took the paper from receptionist, giving her a pleasant smile. But before she turned, she said sardonically.

“Thank you. I’ll be sure to inform your boss on how helpful and welcoming you are.”

Satisfied when the conceited woman turned pale under her heavy makeup, Sunyoung tossed her hair back and strutted to the elevator. She’s been a teacher for four years. Having been dealing with difficult kids on daily basis, putting a snobbish receptionist to her place wasn’t that much of a challenge.

As she pressed the button for the thirteenth floor, she prayed that Jinri-sshi won’t be like that obnoxious woman. She sounded pleasant enough during the phone call, but people can be deceiving. Sunyoung thought back on her conversation with Jinri-sshi.

“Ah, Park seongsaenim. Annyeong haseyo, I’m Choi Jinri.” Jinri-sshi greeted warmly after Sunyoung introduced herself.

“Neh. I’m calling on behalf of Namsam High School to thank you and the company for your generous donation. We would also like to invite you to our school’s graduation ceremony, and we really would be grateful if you may spare us a little time to give a talk at the event, as motivation to the students.” After her lengthy explanation finished, there was silence on the other line. Worried that she may have bored Jinri-sshi, Sunyoung inquired cautiously.

“Choi Jinri-sshi?”

“Ah, yes. I’m here…” A pause. Then the sound of someone delicately cleared . “Well, things are…quite complicated right now.”

“Complicated?” Sunyoung echoed.

What can be so complicated about it? She can just say she accepts or rejects it.

“Jinri-sshi, you’re not obligated to accept it if you don’t want to. It’s just a request.”

“Yes, but I rather not give our answer now. Would you mind if we set a date so that we can discuss it more comfortably?”

“Yes, of course. When would you be free?”

After discussing it for awhile, they settled on Saturday, 10.00 am, as Jinri-sshi have a meeting before that.

“When you come to the company, just give your name to the front desk. Someone will show you the way.” Jinri-sshi had informed her before ending the call.

Yep, some help that person was.

Sunyoung snorted. She glanced down at the paper she’d received, noticing that the ‘helpful’ receptionist had even drawn a simple map below the directions.

“Did she think I’m such an imbecile who’s incapable of following simple directions that she felt the need to draw me a map too?” She huffed hotly at herself.

As the elevator door opened, Sunyoung started to understand why she would probably need a map. There was like half a dozen of hallways in front of her, leading to more halls. On each side of the corridor were several glass doors. All of them were identical with each other, with no separating indicators.

Just looking at it was making Sunyoung dizzy. She really wasn’t good with directions. The only reason she’d even made it to the company was she’d took a taxi there that morning.

Okay, you can do this Sunyoung. Just follow the direction and the map, and you’ll be fine.

She took a deep breath to steel herself, and just as she’s about to take a step toward one of the corridors, a head popped out from one of the glass door.

“Park seongsaenim?”

“Yes?” Sunyoung answered uncertainly.

A tall, pretty woman with a stylish bob walked out from the room, smiling warmly at her. She bowed politely before extending her hand.

“Annyeong haseyo, I’m Choi Jinri.”

“Oh! Nice to meet you.” Sunyoung bowed then shook her hand, more than a little surprised. A person with a position as elevated as Jinri-sshi wouldn’t be greeting her personally at the entry way.

Shouldn’t she have assistants for something trivial like this?

“Please, come this way. The meeting is still in progress, but it’ll be ending soon.” Jinri led the way. “Please follow me closely; we wouldn’t want you to get lost in this maze.” She added, grinning at her knowingly.

Sunyoung felt annoyed at her remark.

Why does everyone keep treating me like a child? First the receptionist with the ridiculous map, then this tall lady who was just short of leading me by the hand to the meeting room, as if I’m a kid who cannot be trusted to walk alone.

As she was grumbling to herself, she got distracted by a picture on the notice board. It was a photograph of a group of people in suits, apparently on a conference or a business trip. But what caught her eyes were a figure, right at the end of the left side, that looks exactly like Jinki, though she can’t be sure, since the face was slightly turned away. Just as she was about to question Jinri-sshi, she finally notices that she was quite alone, in an empty hallway.

Okay, why do I have a feeling that I’ve been in this situation before?

She looks around, feeling a sense of déjà vu. She was sure she’s been in this position before, but she just can’t remember when and where.

Oh, never mind. Let’s find the meeting room first.  I’ll just follow this map. How hard can it be?

As it turned out, it was hard, at least for her. As she wandered around what she was sure the same hallway for the third time, she tried desperately to look for someone. Anyone.

Just then, a guy walked out from one of the doors, clutching a coffee cup in one hand, while the other held a folded newspaper that he was reading. Relieved, she went to ask him for directions, when suddenly the door on her side opened, and a swarm of people rushed out.

Sunyoung was jostled about; everyone seemed to be oblivious to her struggles. Then someone pushed her roughly from behind, causing her to launch forward, smacking her head against a smooth, hard surface. A pair of strong hands grabbed her arms, steadying her. Sunyoung felt a blush creeping up her cheeks as she realizes that the hard surface she bumped into were in fact a man’s solid chest, and she was stepping on one of the said man’s leather shoes.

Embarrassed, she quickly wrenched backward, when the man asked in a concerned voice.

“Hey, are you okay?”

Sunyoung froze at the sound of his voice. It was a voice she’d recognized anywhere. She looked up slowly, into a pair of stunned dark brown eyes.

“Jinki?”

---

 

A/N: Annyeong everyone!!!~ so I’m back after a week absence… Last week has been a busy, busy, busy week for me. But I’ve finally submitted the project 1 for my thesis, and I’m free to upload this chapter, yay!!!~

FYI, I’ve changed the name of Choi Hyeri to Choi Jinri in the last chapter. Sounds familiar, right? Kekeke~

About this chapter, so they’ve finally meet again (about time, some of you might say). Sorry to keep you waiting for Jinki, but I have my reasons, hehe~

Personally, this chapter is my favorite so far in this story. Maybe it’s because the way they meet again is the same way as when they first met (any of you guys noticed it?). Yeah, I’m really pleased with this chapter, but maybe it’s just me, haha…

So tell me what you guys think! I’m always curious to know what people are thinking about this story. Comments are very much appreciated!

Have a nice day, chingoos~