Should've Asked You To Stay

Goodbye Summer

 

What do I say; we didn’t have to play no games.

I should’ve took that chance, I should’ve asked you to stay.

And it gets me down, the unsaid words that still remain.

The story ended without even starting.

~~~

Two days ago.

Jinki looked up from his work as Sunyoung barged in unannounced. Her expression was anxious, fidgety as she walked to him slowly. Jinki, having inkling on what this was about, just sighed and put down his pen.

“Is it true? What your mom said, is it true?” Sunyoung whispered, her voice small, unlike her usually bubbly ones. Jinki bent his head, unwilling to face her, not sure how to react if he did.

“Damn it Jinki, look at me! Talk to me!” She snapped, frustrated when he ignored her.

Jinki closed his eyes and let out a breath. “Yes.” He mumbled.

At his answer, he heard a choked sound from Sunyoung. This time he immediately looked up, unable to ignore her any longer. What he saw caused an ache in his heart. She wasn’t crying, not yet, but close to it. Her face crumpled, pained, and her eyes were already b with tears. But what really got to him was the fact that it was so obvious she was trying to control herself, refusing to let him see her defeated.

“Sunyoung…” He reached for her, but she twisted around, getting away from him. She ambled to his bed, and calmly sat down. Jinki followed, kneeling in front of her. She faced away from him, her hand hastily wipe away the tears that had fallen.

“When are you going to tell me?” She murmured, her voice scratchy. She glanced at him for awhile. “Or, should the question be, were you going to tell me?”

Jinki hung his head, filled with guilt. He knew this was coming, that’s why he kept putting it off, trying to delay the inevitable for as long as possible.

He had been offered a scholarship to further his studies at a well-known university in United States of America, sponsored by a noted oil and gas company. The offer came just last week, the course offered was his first choice, petroleum geology, and after he graduated, he’ll be employed directly at his sponsor company. His parents were so proud of him. He remembered when he told them, his father cheered and thumped him heartily on the back while his mother just shook her head and looked on, though her face were full of pride. He himself was pleased with the offer, but then the thoughts of leaving Sunyoung just plain out all the enjoyment he felt.

He stared at the girl in front of him. She was still waiting for an answer, her eyes filled with anger instead of sadness now.

That was better. I just can’t stand seeing her sad. But furious Sunyoung, now that I can handle. At least she had some life in her eyes.

“I, uh…” He cleared his throat and try again. “I don’t know, Sunyoung. I honestly don’t. I don’t want to make you sad-”

Don’t want to make me sad?!” She cut him off, her eyes blazing with rage, “You think one day you’ll just up and go to The States without even telling me, and I won’t be sad? Some fine logic you got there, Jinki.” Her voice broke on his name, and the tears she tried so hard to contain now flow unstoppably. She was crying, really crying now, her shoulders heaving with her sobs.

Jinki pulled her into a hug, trying futilely to calm her. “Don’t cry, Sunyoung. Please don’t. I haven’t accepted the offer, you know.”

“Are you going to accept it?” She choked up, sniffling.

“I don’t know. But my parents were really hoping that I’ll accept it; they pretty much told me they’ll be planning on moving to US with me. It was an excellent proposition, and this kind of opportunity won’t come often.” He stopped when she sobbed harder.

“But Sunyoung…Sunyoung, listen to me.” He cupped her cheeks and gently used his thumbs to wipe away her tears. “I’ve promised you I won’t leave you. If you ask me to stay, I will. I’ll refuse the offer and stay with you.”

“You…You will?” Sunyoung stuttered, her eyes rounded with surprise.

“Yes, I will.” He told her gently.

“But, isn’t it your dream to work at that company? You told me so. And you’ll be sponsored fully, Jinki. And you’ll have a job rea-” She halted when he place his finger on .

“Hush, Sunyoung. I know that. But you’re more important to me than the offer. There’ll be a lot more of opportunity to come, but there’s only one Sunyoung.” He grinned, but she can read the resignation in his eyes.

She looked at him broodingly, thinking hard.

I can’t imagine life without Jinki, but I can’t ask him to stay for me, it would be the epitome of selfishness. No, I have to let him go. Come on Sunyoung, be strong for him. Be strong for Jinki. You have to send him away.

She pulled away from his embrace, and squared her shoulder. She took a deep breath and smile widely at him. “No, you should accept the offer, Jinki.”  Before he could argue, she rushed out, “Accept the offer. It’s such a great opportunity; you’ll be stupid to refuse it.”

“But, what about you Sunyoung?” He asked in concern.

“Oh, please. I’m a big girl Jinki; I can take care of myself.” She rolled her eyes. “I’ll be fine without you. Earlier, I was just pissed that you didn’t think to tell me sooner, like I’m not important for you. I mean, I’m your best friend! But it’s okay, I understand now.” She shrugged, smiling at him.

“Sunyoung…”

“Take the offer, Jinki. Then come back when you’re some bigshot geologist and treat me expensive food.” She deliberately , trying to make light of the situation.

“Sunyoung, don’t lie to yourself. I can stay if you want me-” Sunyoung was shaking her head frantically even before he finished his words.

“No, no. I don’t” were saying no firmly, but in her heart, she was dying to say yes.

Stay strong, Sunyoung. Stay strong.

When Jinki looked skeptical, she decided it’s time to for some harsh tactics.

“For God’s sake Jinki, accept the damn offer. I can manage myself. I don’t need you here. Besides, if you stay I’ll probably get bored with you.” She rolled her eyes, trying to look put out with the whole situation.

Jinki’s face darkened when he heard her words, his hurt obvious. He said nothing, just continued to stare at her. Sunyoung look away, one because she can’t stand Jinki’s wounded expression, another because she was afraid that he’ll see through her act.

Sometimes, you have to be cruel to be kind.

She sighed, then, using a placating tone, she said condescendingly, “Go, Jinki. Meet someone new. Have an adventure or something to distract yourself. I want to meet someone new too, and I can’t do that with you hovering over me.”

Jinki clenched his teeth and gritted out, “Fine Sunyoung, I’ll accept the offer since it’s obvious you want me to leave you alone. You don’t have to talk to me like I’m five.” He then stomped angrily to his table and sat there, his back to her.

Unable to endure his furious mood, she tried to make things light. “Come on Jinki, you know I’m just joking. But seriously though, take the offer.”

When he just sat there and said nothing, not even turning around to face her, she dropped all of her pretense and let her misery showed in her face.

Well, obviously my ploy worked too well. But at least he’s going. That’s what matters the most.

She looked at Jinki’s back longingly, wishing he could see how she felt right then. Her heart breaks a little more with every lie she told him, but it’s for the best. She can feel the breakdown coming, and not sure if she can control it this time, she walked hastily to his door.

“Well, I have to go. My mom needed me.” With her hand on the handle, she murmured, “Jinki…I…” She stopped, hesitating.

Jinki heard her, and then growled when she didn’t finish her words, still livid with her. “What?”

“I…”

I love you.

“I…I hope you’ll do well there. I wish you the best.” She turned her head behind to look at him, but he’s still not facing her. That did it, his indifference made her lose the tenuous control she desperately held on. She can feel her heart breaking then, the anguish too much for her to bear. She yanked the door open and ran all the way to her home, because she can’t stand being near him anymore. It hurts too much when she thinks about it.

Their story hasn’t even started, yet now it was ending.

---

 

A/N: Like I’ve promised, this update is longer than the past… But can I ask you guys something, was my story confusing or difficult for you to follow? Should I change my writing style?

To answer your questions, yes, they’ll be separating… for now. Sad indeed, but sometimes separation is unavoidable (speakingfromexperiencebutpleaseignorethis).

Lastly, thanks to my subscribers, commenters and people who read this story of Sunyoung and Jinki. Words can’t express how glad I am for your supports. Silent readers, feel free to comment. The more the merrier, right? Ke ke~

That’s all from me, until the next update, roger and out~