Inseparable

Goodbye Summer

 

After that day, we always stuck together like the Astro twins.

You were me and I was you.

~~~

After that fateful meeting, they found out that they were placed in the same class, for the rest of their school years.  Even more amazingly, when Jinki finally relented to his mother’s nagging and went to greet his new neighbor of a few days, who else would open the door except for Sunyoung. From that day on, they became inseparable.

It was lunch now, and they were sitting at their usual table, with their group of friends. Jinki and Sunyoung always sat next to each other, and no one questioned it, no one gave it a thought, even though the way they behaved can sometimes be confused as a couple.  But today, when they went to lunch and sat at their usual placements, someone asked them about it.

“Hey, Sunyoung, Jinki…” Amber, their friend from the same class called them.

“Yes?” Sunyoung answered, while Jinki just lifted his head to look at Amber, his mouth slurping on his ramen.

“Are you guys…together?” Amber asked bluntly, causing their group of friends to stop their chattering and leaned closer in interest. They’ve all wondered about that for quite awhile now, though no one had the audacity to ask the two directly like Amber did. Now that someone did voiced the question, they’re not gonna miss any of it.

Sunyoung looked at Amber and the others as they stared at her intently. Then she glanced at Jinki, who just continued to eat his ramen, apparently unconcerned about the question.

“What do you mean?” Sunyoung inquired, confused.

“I mean, are you two dating?”

At this, Sunyoung eyes go round with surprise, and she felt her cheeks colored as she gasped, “No!”

Meanwhile, beside her, Jinki has choked on his ramen, shocked with what Amber just implied. Taemin, sitting next to him on his other side, helpfully thumped his back.

“Of course not!” He wheezed out after taking a swig of his water to ease his burning throat. He reached out to his left, trying to grab the-

Sunyoung already handed him a tissue before he even extended his arm fully. Thanking her, he took the tissue and wiped his mouth clean. Both of them were unaware that their friends were watching their interaction closely.

“They are definitely dating.” Key concluded, smiling smugly.

“Obviously.” Krystal agreed, arching one perfect eyebrow.

Both Sunyoung and Jinki glare at them, annoyed.

“We’re not!” Sunyoung declared hotly.

“What makes you say that?” Jinki said vehemently at the same time.

“Well, for starters, you guys are always together.” Minho stated seriously. But then, he’s always serious.

“That’s because we’re classmates!” Jinki grunted, clearly thinking that it is a ridiculous observation.

 “And neighbor!” Sunyoung added snidely, crossing her arms in frustration.

“Yeah, not to mention both you guys are lab partners, choir group members, book club members and even went to the same church on Sundays, together.”

“It’s becau-”

“We liv-”

“AND,” Both Jinki and Sunyoung’s protest were obscured by Victoria’s loud interruption. “You guys understand each other so well.”

They both went silent after that.

“W- What do you mean?” Sunyoung asked hesitantly.

“Like, just now. How do you know Jinki was reaching for a tissue when you weren’t even looking at him?” Sulli exclaimed excitedly.

Sunyoung snorted, amused. “Well, obviously after eating and choking and drinking, he’ll want the tissue to wipe his dirty mouth.”

“We’ll never know. Knowing it’s Jinki, he’s just probably reaching for the kimbap.” Jonghyun countered cheekily.

Sunyoung burst out laughing, shaking her head the silliness of Jonghyun’s statement. She then turned to Jinki to include him in the joke. Both of them smirked as they shared a look of ludicrous amusement at their friends’ antics.

“I hate it when they do that. Just them laughing at some inside joke while the rest of us wondered why.” Krystal grumbled loudly, irritated. Everyone except Jinki and Sunyoung nodded their heads, agreeing and understanding.

Jinki and Sunyoung heard Krystal’s comment, and both of started to laugh again.

“Yah! Stop that!”

“It’s annoying!”

“Stop living in your own world!”

“Okay, okay. We’ll stop. But seriously, you guys are funny.” Sunyoung chuckled, earning her glares from 8 people in front of her. Intimidated, she leaned to Jinki for support. But Jinki was busy thinking about something.

“Hey, I’ve got an explanation for our relationship.” Jinki started, gaining everyone’s attention.  They all leaned closer to hear clearer.

“You know, instead of lovers, I think Sunyoung and I were more suited to the role of siblings. We’re both the only child, and live close together. We practically grow up together.”

“But you guys seemed to be more than siblings. The understanding, it’s almost like telepathy. It’s-” Amber’s argument were cut by Sunyoung.

“We’re actually long-lost twins.” She quipped sardonically.

At her scathing remark, everyone went mute. Then;

“You know what; this is a much better explanation-”

“That suited them much more than the-”

“I knew they weren’t dating-”

While their friends continued on debating on the topic, the persons involved were sharing a secret smile.

Sunyoung tilted her head closer to Jinki and whispered, “Nice save there, Jinki. Good job on putting their delusions about us down.” She grinned, then turned back to listen their friends’ discussion.

Jinki just grinned back, nodded and focuses on his food, but there was something else. Niggling at the back of his mind, a small part, just a tiny part of him wondered how they’ll be if they really are a couple.

 

---

 

A/N: Everyone, I realized that I've made a tactical error regarding their age, and I've changed the time when they've first met to when they were in primary school, instead of high school. So, I’m sorry for any confusion and please forgive me this time since I’m new at this. (T.T) *bows*

Oh, I almost forgot, Shinee’s comeback 10/10!! I can’t wait. Literally had trouble breathing when I saw Onew’s teaser pictures. *faints* So bad- and handsome. I was tempted to make Jinki into a bad boy, but no, have to stay true to the story, huhu…(well, maybe next time)

Anyway, thanks to my readers and subscribers, you guys are so professional!! (^.^)Y

ENJOY~~