I Think It's Fate...

Goodbye Summer

Fate doesn’t ask you what you want,

Because it knows what’s best for you.

~~~

“Jinki?” Sunyoung whispered, unable to believe her eyes.

“Sun… Sunyoung…” He murmured, the shock she felt reflected on his face.

They both stood there, just staring at each other in disbelief. The silence grew thickening, and the atmosphere inevitably turned awkward.

Well, of course it would. What would you say to your ex-best friend whom you kind of have something going on, and you haven’t seen or contact in 10 years? There’s so much to say, but both of them clearly at a lost on how and where to start.

As Sunyoung her dry lips nervously and started to open to say something, Jinri suddenly appeared out of the corner, looking anxious.

“Park seongsaenim! I told you to follow me closely, and – Oh, Jeonmu-nim!” Jinri blurted out when she saw Jinki. She immediately began another explanation.

“She was right behind me, Jeonmu-nim! Then I turned around again and suddenly she –” She stopped abruptly when Jinki shook his head profusely at her.

There was silence again. Sunyoung was staring confusedly at Jinri, Jinri looking inquiringly at Jinki, and Jinki was watching Sunyoung, his expression unreadable.

Unable to take it anymore, Jinri hesitantly asked, finally cutting through the suffocating silence.

 “So, um… Should I prepare the meeting room?”

“No, my office.” Jinki answered, his eyes never leaving Sunyoung. Jinri nodded eagerly and immediately left the scene, glad to finally have something else to do then to stand in the middle of the awkward situation.

Sunyoung watched Jinri walked away, then turned to face Jinki, her expression questioning.

He let out a sigh before motioning to the way where Jinri had gone to.

“Perhaps, it’ll be better if we talk in my room. Please, follow me Sunyoung.”

Jinki led the way, keeping his pace slow so that Sunyoung can keep up, because he knew how easily she can get distracted and lost her way. But he didn’t need to worry; Sunyoung was never letting him out of her sight.

The shock of seeing him again after so many years had worn off by then, and now she began to really, really look at Jinki. Even though it’s only from behind, she noticed the subtle changes that age had brought him. He’s grown taller, about a few inches from when she last saw him, making him about a head taller than she is. He had become more muscular too, his lean form tapered with subtle muscle.

Even his shoulders were broader. Sunyoung thought absently, looking at his back with fascination as she walked behind him. Her eyes then shifted lower, to the way his…rear was lined nicely by his black slacks.

She blushed when Jinki chose that time to look behind him to make sure that Sunyoung was still following him, thinking she’s been caught staring. Intrigued by her red face, he gave her inquiring look, but she just shook her head frantically, not daring to look at him.

As they reached his office, a semi opened room that had no door, only an opening, she thought it was a little plain, but it was alright. A desk was located on the right side, with a bookcase that is stacked neatly with files. On the left side, a cozy wide sofa pushed against the wall, coffee table laden with assorted magazines in front of it. But then Jinki lead her straight across to the door that was located in the middle, making her realized that it was actually his office waiting area, or rather, his secretary office. He held the door open for her before he closed it behind him firmly.

 When Sunyoung entered the room, she automatically gaped, looking around the spacious room appointed tastefully with expensive furniture in amazement. A huge mahogany desk sat on the far right, with a leather chair behind it, and two smaller, but similar ones in front of it. Behind the desk were covered with a tall and wide bookshelf, filled with books, files and assorted miscellaneous. Right in the middle of the room were geometrically shaped sofas encircling a dark wood coffee table with a glass top, a bonsai plant as its centerpiece. The entire wall on the left was covered with windows, showcasing Seoul’s cosmopolitan view.

Unused to such a show of luxury, she was intimidated and felt out of place for the second time.

God, this place is so fancy. Obviously I don’t belong here. What if I break something? Please tell me it’s not his office, please. Not. His. Office.

Jinki was looking at Sunyoung’s tell-tale expression with amusement, which at that time resembles a lost puppy quite closely. She was also nervously tugging on her purse strap, twisting and releasing it absently, looking ill at ease.

“Please, sit down Sunyoung. It’s not like my office didn’t have enough sofa to sit on.” He joked, trying to make her comfortable. Instead, he only managed to antagonize her further.

Oh God, it is his office.

Feeling like she’s been condescended, she glared at him as she strode to the sofa, making a great show of sitting down, and then looked at him challengingly, as if to say, “There, are you satisfied now?”

He let out a rusty chuckle at her defiant act and went on to sit in front of her.

“How are you, Sunyoung?” He asked, keeping his tone casual, as though he hadn’t seen her in a week instead of 10 years.

Sunyoung lifted her shoulders nonchalantly, determined to match his cool demeanor. “Good. And you?”

“As well as you can see.” Jinki smiled, spreading his arms wide.

Both of them went quiet again. Not one to be comfortable with silence, Sunyoung decided that she should say something. But what?

What should I say what should I say what should I say…

“Nice hair.” Sunyoung blurted out the first thing on her mind. Jinki’s hair was a lot longer back then, and messier too. She always thought his hair resembled a lion’s mane a bit, since he never cared to brush his hair. (A/n: Please, think of Onew’s hair during ‘Hello’ era, without the gel for the before, and ‘WSS’, without the red for the after)

 “Ah, yes.” Jinki laughed at the suddenness of her comment. He slicked back his shorter, styled hair and grinned at her.

“I lost a bet with my friends in college, and had to allow them to cut and style my hair as they like. But it turned out to be good, people kept praising my new look so I keep it.”

Well, that’s an understatement, Sunyoung quipped inwardly.

He’s always been a good-looking guy. But since he never did seem to care about his appearance, people rarely notice it. Now that he’s all cleaned up, he looked more mature and…attractive. So disturbing to think of Jinki like that, but Sunyoung just can’t help herself.

“Stupid hormones.” She muttered under her breath, annoyed with herself.

“You look good, yourself.” Jinki said, staring at Sunyoung intensely. Sure that he was pulling her leg, Sunyoung snorted, giving him a ‘Yeah, right’ look.

Just as Jinki was about to elaborate more, there was a knock on the door. He called out distractingly; giving whoever it is the permission to enter.

Jinri entered, carrying several files in her arms. She looked at Jinki and Sunyoung back and forth, before moving hesitantly towards Jinki.

“Jeonmu-nim, this is the files you’ve asked for.” She handed him the files, then stole a glance at Sunyoung.

“I hope you forgive me for losing you, Park seongsaenim. Even though I was warned, I didn’t expect to lose you that fast. It’s like –”

“Jinri-sshi,” Jinki stopped her rambling, his gaze on Sunyoung, who was looking at Jinri quizzically.

“Yes, Jeonmu-nim?”

“Why don’t you go and buy us some drinks from the café below?” He pulled out some bills from his wallet and handed it to Jinri.

“No, that’s not necessary, thank you.” Sunyoung spoke up, curious to hear the rest of Jinri’s words, “But I’d like it if you’ll continue –”

“I insist.” Jinki said forcefully, effectively stopping Sunyoung’s request.

Chastised, and unused to a bossy Jinki, Sunyoung shut up and glared at him. Jinri, apparently deciding to play peacemaker, quietly assured her.

“It’s no trouble at all, Park seongsaenim. What will you have?”

Sunyoung didn’t answer, still in a staring match with Jinki, both of them refusing to back down. The two of them didn’t even spare a glance at Jinri, who was looking on with interest.

“She’ll have the iced cocoa with extra caramel, and I’ll have the usual.” Jinki said when Sunyoung still won’t answer. “Buy something for yourself too. Oh, and Jinri-sshi,”

Jinki beckoned Jinri closer with his finger. When she leaned towards him, he murmured, keeping his voice low so that Sunyoung, who was looking at them closely at that time, won’t hear what he’s saying.

“Ask them to make our orders slowly.”

Jinri grinned conspiringly as she understood her boss’ intention.

“Of course, will do. Jeonmu-nim, Park seongsaenim.” She bowed formally and left the room, her eyes dancing with amusement.

“How did you know what I want?” Sunyoung burst out as soon as Jinri left, annoyed with Jinki high-handedness.

Really, now I can’t even choose my own drink? Not that there’s anything wrong with iced cocoa, but I would’ve liked to make my own decision.

“That’s all you ever ordered when we went to the café.”

“Well, that was years ago. And who knows, I might have a hankering for coffee.” Sunyoung retorted, just to be contrary, although she was surprised, and maybe a little touched that Jinki still remembered her favorite drink.

Jinki arched a brow sardonically and crossed his arms. He knew as well as she did that Sunyoung can’t abide anything too bitter, especially coffee.

“Really?” He pulled out his cellphone, “Should I called Jinri and told her you changed your mind? Told her you want coffee instead?”

“That...that won’t be necessary. I won’t want to trouble her further.” Disgruntled, and knew she’s been defeated; Sunyoung slumped back on her seat and crossed her arms.

The truth is, she didn’t have any trouble with the drink. She just wanted to fight with him. When she saw Jinki and Jinri with their head close together whispering, looking far more intimate than what employer-employee should be, she felt something brewing inside her. A resentful, almost angry-like feeling. Sunyoung have inkling on what the feeling might be, but she refused to acknowledge it.

Whatever, it’s not my problem. I don’t care.

She shrugged to herself, but that doesn’t explain the hollowness she felt in her heart. But she pushed it away, reasoning with herself rationally.

I’m only annoyed that he chose to have an intimate relationship with his colleague. Everyone knows that mixing work and romance wouldn’t end well, not to mention it would be unprofessional… How long have they’ve been dating anyway?

“So, how long have you and Jinri-sshi been dating?” She blurted out her thoughts without thinking.

Jinki arched an eyebrow, a small smile quirked his lips as Sunyoung’s expression turned chagrined when she realizes what she’s asking.

Stupid, stupid mouth! God, why did I ask him that? It’s so embarrassing!

---

A/N : Soooo…..

It’s been a long time since I’ve updated this, and I’m really sorry!!! *hides behind a shield*

I’ve been so busy this past month and something just kept coming up…

And this week, sighs, probably my worst week ever.

But writing this released my stress a bit, letting me escape from reality for a while, and goes into the world of Jinki and Sunyoung, keke~

So, I hope you enjoy it! Didn’t think it’s my best work, but hey, at least it’s something, right?

Right, I know you guys would understand, hehe~

Oh, btw, I probably won’t be able to update this regularly, as I’m smack in the mid of my exam now…

Any questions or comments, you know where to post it. I’ll try to answer as best as I can.

Till then, kamsahamnida and love you all chingoos~