Deal Or No Deal?

Goodbye Summer

 

All’s fair in Love and War.

~~~

The three of them sat in silence, all quietly sipping on their own drinks. After a few minutes of absolute stillness, Sunyoung had had enough. It was time.

Let’s just get this over with.

She put down her drink carefully on the coaster provided, and then rummages in her purse. She pulled out an envelope, and sat up straighter.

Both Jinki and Jinri were watching her, their gazes curious, making her felt a bit nervous. She took a deep breath and managed a bright smile, which she directed to Jinri.

“Jinri-sshi,” Sunyoung began, satisfied that her voice sounded confident and sure, when she was feeling anything but. “On behalf of Namsam High School, we would like to express our gratitude for you and your company’s generous donation to our school. It really helped us a lot.”

“Ah, well…” Jinri looked uncomfortable before turning to Jinki, as though asking for guidance on what to do. But Jinki didn’t react, only continuing sipping on his Americano. Sensing she’ll get no help from him, Jinri made a face, but her expression changed to pleasant when she faced Sunyoung again.

“It was our pleasure, Park seongsaenim. Please, don’t think of it as any trouble. We’ll do anything we can to help.”

Sunyoung relaxed a bit at Jinri’s assurance. Maybe this won’t be as difficult as she thought it would be.

Perhaps she isn’t so bad after all.

“Well, now that you’ve brought it up, we do have a small favor to ask. As I’ve mentioned on the phone, we really hoped you’ll attend our school’s graduation and perhaps be our honored guest as well. This is the official invitation.” Sunyoung handed the letter in her hand to Jinri.

“Oh!” Alarmed, Jinri shook her head and waved her hands frantically, refusing to take the letter. “I can’t do that, Park seongsaenim!”

Confused by her frenzied response, Sunyoung let her hand that held the letter dropped to her lap. “Oh, okay…” She replied quietly, unsure how to continue.

But Jinri beat her to it, she reached out to Sunyoung’s hand as though to assure her.

“Please don’t think that I’ve rejected harshly, Park Seongsaenim. The truth is, I just handled this donation’s paperwork on behalf of my superior, as I’m only a lowly assistant – ” A snort was heard from Jinki, but Jinri pointedly ignored him, prompting Sunyoung to do the same, “ – so I’m really not the person you should be thanking.”

“Oh…” Sunyoung suddenly had an inkling on where this was going, and it’s nowhere she wants to be, “Then w-who’s the person responsible for it?”

Jinri gestured to Jinki, who was sitting opposite of Sunyoung.

“Our Director, Lee Jeonmu-nim. He’s the one who engineered and actively handle this whole thing.”

Sunyoung let out a breath. I should’ve known something isn’t right.

She reluctantly turned to face Jinki, keeping the smile on her face.

“So, you’re the person in charge?”

Jinki shrugged, looking unconcerned.

“It would seem so.”

Then why the hell didn’t you just tell me?!

But she didn’t voiced it out loud, her smile still in place as she handed him the invitation.

“Lee Jeonmu-nim, on behalf of Namsan High School, we would like to thank you for the generous donation, and invite you to our school’s graduation ceremony.”

Jinki nodded as he accepted the letter, but didn’t say anything else.

“And we would also appreciate it if you’ll become the honored speaker at the event.”

“No.” He answered without hesitation, not looking up from the letter he’s reading.

“Why not, Lee Jeonmu-nim?” Sunyoung decided that she’ll be polite even if it kills her, but she didn’t quite managed to hide her tone, which had gone harder by the minute.

Jinki smiled, showing that he noticed her changing tone, and was amused because of it.

“Well, for one thing, this donation is made by the company. As I’m not the formal representative for this company, I’m not qualified – ”

“That’s not true!” Jinri quipped, causing Sunyoung to jerk her head towards Jinri in surprise, as she’d somehow forgotten that Jinri was there too.

“As the second highest ranking officer in this company, after Sajang-nim, Lee Jeonmu-nim is considered to be the representative when Sajang-nim is absent. Furthermore, part of the donation came personally from Jeonmu-nim, and – ”

“Jinri!” Jinki cut her explanation short as he glared at her. “That’s enough.”

Instead of being contrited, Jinri pouted like a scolded child, crossing her arms as she stared straight back at Jinki.

“Well, if that’s the case, then I’ll say you’re really the person to give the speech, Lee Jeonmu-nim.” Sunyoung smirked, feeling more confident now that she’s got an ally, even though the ally might be his girlfriend. But she’ll take any form of support she can get now.

“I said no, Park seongsaenim.” Jinki turned his glare to Sunyoung, but she was enjoying this too much now that she didn’t even feel intimidated.

So he wasn’t that unaffected at all. Aigo, kind Jinki is so modest. Maybe he needed a little convincing then? Well, let’s see if I still got the touch.

“Lee Jeonmu-nim…” She called out, her voice suddenly turning sweet, paired with a sweeter smile that it took Jinki aback.

He blinked a couple of times, baffled with her sudden change.

“Uh…yes?”

Feeling her confidence tripled in size, Sunyoung leaned forward and began her persuasive argument.

“If you are the person who came out with this brilliant idea, and you’re the one who handled it exclusively, then you’ll be the perfect person to give the speech, Lee Jeonmu-nim, as no one understands it as well as you did.”

Jinki  frowned, not really getting what she’s saying. Truthfully, she didn’t have a clue on what she been going on about either. But then again, no one had the talent of twisting words quite like Park Sunyoung did.

“Furthermore,” she continued, on a roll, “I understand that this school was your former school, isn’t it?” She didn’t wait for him to continue as she went on.

“If that’s the case, then isn’t the students that’s graduating considered to be your hoobaes? And as their sunbae, shouldn’t you guide, or at the very least, give them some clues on what they’ll be facing in the cold, harsh world? Wasn’t it considered to be your responsibility to prepared them as much as you can on how to live in reality?  Since you’re their sunbae, they’re more prone to listen to you, as they’ll feel that their situation is relatively similar to yours. And you held a high position in a successful company; your story will motivate them more than anyone else’s.”

By the time she finished, Jinki had sat back, scratched his head as he stared at her blankly. But Jinri was leaning forward, her eyes widening with something akin to awe as she hang on to Sunyoung’s every word.

Sunyoung smiled benignly at both of them, feeling really really glad that she managed to finally grab a hold on the situation.

“So, what do you say, Lee Jeonmu-nim?”

He cocked his head to the side, his expression thoughtful.

“When did you say the graduation will take place?”

“In two weeks time, on May 5th.”

“Hmm…” He responded, thinking it over in his head before he suddenly smiled, as though he came up with something brilliant.

“Okay, I’ll give the speech.”

Just as Sunyoung let out a breath of relief and was about to thank him, Jinri spoke up, finally moving her entranced-like stare from Sunyoung to Jinki.

“Jeonmu-nim, you can’t!” She cried out, her hands busy flipping the pages of the notebook on her lap. When she found what she’s looking for, she pointed at it frantically.

“You have a meeting with the CESS Company about the drilling in Borneo!”

Jinki just waved a vague hand as he answered, apparently unconcern.

“Reschedule them.”

“Andue-yo!” She persisted, looking worried now. “You have put them off twice now, and there’s no more space in your schedule for the next month.”

Suddenly, as though he had recovered his good humor, he grinned at Jinri.

“I’m sure you’ll find a way. After all,” he paused meaningfully, “it’s your job, isn’t it Jinri-sshi?”

Even Sunyoung gasped at Jinki’s rude rebuke. Really, he wasn’t that bad when she last saw him. What happened that caused him to change so much? She started to feel sorry towards Jinri-sshi, because no matter what their relationship is, she didn’t deserve to be treated that way.

Sunyoung thought she couldn’t be more surprised, when Jinri, who was scowling at the smirking Jinki, snapped her notebook shut and stood up abruptly.

“Yes, it’s my job. Now, if there’s nothing else, please excuse me while I reschedule a month’s appointments and make a few dozen calls. Jeonmu-nim,” she quipped frostily as she bowed to Jinki, but her tone was much warmer as she bowed to Sunyoung. “Park seongsaenim.”

Sunyoung stood up immediately and returned the bow, feeling quite guilty since she’s the one who caused all this, but not enough to back down, since if she did, the headmistress will have her head.

Jinri then walked coolly over to the door, before closing it behind her loudly, almost like a slam.

Sunyoung gaped at the door, slack-jawed as she sat back down.

“Wow,” she said, flabbergasted, “your secretary is really something else.”

Jinki chuckled, unaffected with his secretary’s show of ire as he picked up his drink again.

“Oh, she’s special alright…” He took a sip before he muttered under his breath, “And it’s not like I can fired her.”

Sunyoung stared at him in disbelief. Is he…admitting that there’s something going on between them?

Any charitable feelings she had for Jinri suddenly lessen, replaced by those resentful feelings she had earlier.

Okay, it’s time to go before I heard anything more.          

“Ah, well, would you look at the time!” She gasped loudly as she took a look on her wristwatch, purely for show, of course. “If there’s nothing else…”

“Wait, I didn’t say I’ll do it for free.”

Sunyoung froze in her seat, not sure what she’s hearing now.

“S-Sorry?”

Jinki sat back, his posture relaxed as he repeated his words, looking smug.

“What?!” Sunyoung exclaimed, this time not because she didn’t hear it, but because she can’t believe it.            

He didn’t answer, just gave her a wicked grin.

“So what, you want us to…to pay you?”

Jinki laughed a bit. “Park seongsaenim, we donated to your school. Do you really think that we’ll ask you to pay us back?”

He answered in such a condescending tone that she immediately bristled with indignation.

“Then what do you want?” She snapped, not bothering to control her anger since there’s only the two of them left.

“Well, I’ll be glad to do the speech, if…”

“If?’

Jinki grinned wolfishly at her, making her dread his next words.

“If you’ll accompany me to dinner a week after that.”

“What? No!” Sunyoung burst out, so shocked that she didn’t even stop to consider it first.

“Just hear me out, Sunyoung.” He’d reverted back to calling her by her name, something which she noticed, and it sent a pleasant thrill down her spine. But she’d rather be dead first before admitting it.

“There’s an annual dinner organized by one of our partner companies, and at least a representative of this company needed to show their face there. Since Sajang-nim will not be available at that time, I’ll have to go, and I must have a date.”

“Then…then ask someone else! Jinri-sshi, for example.”

Jinki sighed dramatically, clutching his head in despair for effect. “I did, but she’s unavailable as well.”

So he did ask her, huh? I’m just someone to fill in the void, then? Well, there’s no way I’m going with you, you big jerk!

“I’m so sorry, Lee Jeonmu-nim, but I’ll be unavailable as well on that date. I’m quite busy too, you know.” She answered with a honeyed voice, her words sarcastic.

He sighed again, looking as though he’d given up. Sunyoung was just about to pumped her fist in triumph (figuratively, of course) when he responded.

“Then I’ll just tell Jinri to keep my schedule then. I’m sure she’ll be pleased. And I’ll put in several words to your headmistress, telling her that you just didn’t convince me enough to make the speech.”

Sunyoung gasped, livid that this jerk was going back on his words.

“Wait, are you…blackmailing me?”

“No, I’m negotiating.” He gave her a sly smile, looking so damned pleased with himself, making Sunyoung wants to just…punch him in the face. Really, only Jinki had the ability to push all her buttons. She was usually a very peace-loving and anti-violence kind of person. Now, if she had a gun, she’ll gladly put it to use, specifically on Jinki.

Ugh, if I say no, then he won’t do the speech. And he’ll tell on the headmistress. She won’t believe me, of course. This is so not fair! I’m stuck. I don’t have another choice. God, why does this always happen to me?

“Fine.” She ground out, her hands fisted as she tried desperately to keep a control on her rage.

“Wonderful! I was sure that we’d come to a satisfying compromise.” He cheerfully said, giving her a big smile.

Sure that if she stayed any longer in that place she’ll commit a murder, Sunyoung stood and managed to say stiffly.

“Since all that was settled, I’d like to take my leave. Thank you for your time, Lee Jeonmu-nim.”

She bowed politely, prompting Jinki to do the same before extending his hand. Sunyoung hesitated as she looked at his hand warily, something that he noticed.

“A handshake, for ending our meeting well, and our deal.” He clarified and then smirked teasingly.

“I won’t bite, Park seongsaenim.”

Sunyoung grimaced and took his hand. His larger hand engulfed her smaller one, his warmth spreading to all of her body. She blushed, feeling rather silly since it’s not the first time she held his hand. They’ve done it a million times before, but maybe the long time away made her painfully aware of the man in front of her now. She quickly pulled back her hand, since Jinki was slow in releasing it.

As she walked to the door, Jinki beat her to it and opened it for her. Flustered, Sunyoung thanked him incoherently and immediately went outside. His secretary was not at her place, which made Sunyoung breathed out in relief. She didn’t know how to react if she saw Jinri again so soon.

Sunyoung had taken a few steps before she realizes that Jinki was following her. She looked at him, questioning.

“Just want to make sure you reached the elevator.” He grinned humorously.

She scowled, not liking to be the of his joke.

“I’m sure I can find my way, Lee Jeonmu-nim. Please, I don’t want to trouble you any further. I’m sure you’re busy.” She answered, her tone acerbic. She quickly marched off the office area and took a right turn.

“Park seongsaenim.” Jinki called out, making Sunyoung freeze in her tracks before reluctantly turned around to face him.

“The elevator is this way.” He pointed to the left, his lips pursed as though he’s trying to bit back a smile.

Sunyoung closed her eyes in embarrassment, cursing her sense of direction, or lack thereof, vehemently. Then she worked out a tight smile as she racked her brain to invent an excuse.

“I…I know that. I was just…stopping by the…um…the restroom! Yes, yes, the restroom for a bit. You wouldn’t mind, would you?”

She didn’t wait for an answer as she spun back and hurriedly went in the opposite direction of Jinki. But before she could take more than a few steps, Jinki called out again.

Sunyoung sighed in resignation before she turned to face him, again.

“Yes, Lee Jeonmu-nim?”

Jinki wasn’t hiding his amusement this time, a huge, goofy grin on his face as he pointed to the left again.

“The restroom is also this way.”

Sunyoung felt her face turned red, before she decided to hell with it.

“Fine!” She snapped, annoyed with herself, as well as Jinki. “Show me the way.”

“To the elevator, or the restroom?” He was obviously having fun teasing her.

“Just the elevator, thank you.” Sunyoung managed to grit out the words.

As they reached the elevator, Sunyoung gave him a wan smile, feeling bone-tired from their confrontation that day.

“Thank you Lee Jeonmu-nim, for your cooperation. I’ll look forward to seeing you at the graduation ceremony.”

“And I’ll look forward to our dinner.” He smirked, reminding her of their deal.

She nodded weakly as the elevator door opened.

“Lee Jeonmu-nim.”

“Goodbye, Sunyoung.” She thought she heard him saying as the door closes, but it was far too low to be sure.

 

---

 

A/N: Like I’ve promised, here’s an update for you guys, yay~

Keke, I think this chapter is a bit more fun than the last, because of Jinki’s teasing…

And I’m feeling a lot better, thanks for your concern! *bows*

I’m actually a very slow writer, since I usually took about a few days to write ONE chapter, sigh~

But for this chapter, it took only about a few hours, so proud of myself, and I love this chapter! keke~

Though I still haven’t write the next chapter, so you guys have to wait a just a little bit looonger for the next update neh? Mianhae~

Finished my exams (don’t even wanna think about it), and started my holiday, woohoo! I really need the break…

Thanks as always for reading, commenting and subscribing! Have a nice day chingudeul~