Just A Memory

Goodbye Summer

 

Your song on the last day of the school festival.

The flickering summer sea.

Our feelings that was precious because we were together.

Like the deepening night sky, goodbye.

~~~

“Sunyoungie, dinner is ready. Why don’t you come down and eat?” Mrs. Park knocked softly on Sunyoung’s door. When there was no answer, she knocked again.

“Sunyoung, aren’t you hungry? You haven’t eaten anything since yesterday. Come down and eat something, please?”

When there’s still no response, Mrs. Park sighed in resignation. “Well, please eat when you’re hungry, okay? Omma’ll put the food inside the fridge, just heat it up when you want to eat.” Then she walks away from her daughter’s room, worried but knew there was nothing else she can do.

Inside the room, Sunyoung was sitting on the floor, the pictures taken at their senior year’s school trip scattered around her. She picked up the one nearest to her and stared blankly at it. It was a photograph of her and Jinki, smiling and laughing without a care in the world. Was it just a few weeks ago? It feels like a lifetime had passed since that time.

---

For their senior year in high school, class 3-B planned a camping trip to celebrate the end of their exams. They’ve chosen the nearby beach as their destination, as it was summer. The summer breeze will be welcome, the water warm and view will be breathtaking.

On the last day of their camping trip, they’ve gathered around the bonfire and someone brought out a guitar. They’ve began to sang together, singing some songs that all of them were familiar with.

“Hey Sunyoung, why don’t you sing us a song? You have a great voice.” Someone called out to Sunyoung after the song finished.

She just smiled and shook her head refusing, as she was not very confident about her singing.

“Yeah, sing us a song. Come on, we’ve heard you sing before in choir, you’re the soloist. You have an amazing voice.” Jinki, who was sitting beside her, encourages Sunyoung. He bumped his shoulder to hers, nudging her.

This prompted another friend to agree, and another. Soon all of their classmates were chanting her name, and then broke into a cheering when she relented.

“Okay, okay. I’ll sing a song, but don’t expect too much. Don’t blame me if it rains.” Sunyoung quipped modestly, requesting Amber, who brought out the guitar to accompany her. She whispered to Amber about her song choice, who nodded, agreeing with her choice. She chose to sing Don’t Forget by Baek Ji Young, as it was familiar and she loved the song. Never did she imagine that the lyrics will be related so closely to her life.

Amber strummed her guitar, and a mellow melody flows out. Sunyoung waited her cue, and then started to sing. All of the people around her went silent, entranced by her lovely, beautiful voice. But no one more so than Jinki, who was absolutely mesmerized.

We've loved each other
Though we're parting now.
Still, different places share a single heaven
Please don't forget me

At the cold wind's touch
The sound of your laughter
And your eyes where I was mirrored
Come back to me.
I weep and weep still more for loneliness.

My lips were frozen,
So I couldn't speak these words:

We've loved each other
Though we're parting now.
Still, different places share a single heaven
Please don't forget me

Tears sealed my lips.
So I couldn't speak these words:

We've loved each other
Though we're parting now.
Still, different places share a single heaven
Please don't forget me.

The one who turned aside clutching her heart
as she sent you away,
do you maybe realize
that was none other than me?

Since that was so, give me your love.
Still, different places share a single heaven,
Please someday come back to me.

 

With the summer breeze teasing her hair, her melodic voice serenading the peaceful night, Jinki was lost in her beauty. Her face was full of expression as she begged her lover to not forget her. Jinki felt as if the song was sung for him, asking him to not forget her when they’ll be separated. He thought it will be impossible to forget someone as special as her, but that was a moot point anyway. Don’t worry Sunyoung, we’ll be together, forever.

When she started to sang the last verse, she turned to him slightly, staring straight at him. I’ll never forget you. Jinki thought to himself, gazing into her eyes.

We've loved each other
Though we're parting now.
Still, different places share a single heaven
Please don't forget me.

As she drawn out the last word, there was a moment of silence before the applause broke out. Sunyoung laughed at the enthusiastic response and good naturedly stood up and take a bow, her cheeks pinking. As she sat back down, Jinki leaned and whispered to her, his voice low so that only she can hear it.

“You were amazing, Sunyoung. Really amazing.”

Embarrassed with the compliment, and the intensity of his stare, she decided to , to lighten up the serious mood.

“It was for you, Jinki.”

“I know. And I promise I won’t forget you.” Jinki grinned playfully as Sunyoung blushed harder, taken aback with his bluntness.

---

A teardrop fell on the photograph Sunyoung was holding. She wiped her eyes, surprised to see her fingers came out wet. She didn’t even realize that she was crying. She wiped the photo dry and stared at it again. It’s just a memory now. She wondered how life would be without Jinki, who’d been her constant since she was a child.

Don’t forget me, Jinki. Please keep your promise that you won’t. That’s all I’m asking of you. 

 

---

A/N: I just found out today that Onew had a neck injury due to his propeller moves… So sad he even apologized for it, huhu~ T.T

Fighting Onew bb! Hope he’ll feel better soon.

Thanks to my subscribers, commenters and silent readers. Have a nice day!