The Meeting

Goodbye Summer

 

I remembered when we were yelled at for talking in the halls.

I don’t know why it was so much fun even when we were being punished.

~~~

Today was Sunyoung’s first day of school. She just moved in the neighborhood a few days ago, and it’s understandably that she’s feeling nervous. But she’s been keeping a positive mind, and hope that it’ll be sufficient enough to get through the day.

It’s okay, Sunyoung. You can do this! Fighting!

She had just finished registering at the office, and was now trying to look for her class using the map given to her, trying being the operative word. She’d forgotten all the directions that was given by the lady at the school’s office, even though it was only a few minutes ago.

Okay, did she say turn left after this hallway, or the second hallway? And why is there no left on this frigging map?! God, I at this. Never mind, I’ll just go back to the office, and ask her again.

She turned around and walks, retracing back her steps that she took from the office. Or, the steps that she thought she took. But when the steps lead her to another identical corridor, with no office in sight, she just sighed.

Fine, I give up. Let’s just asked someone for direction, or else I would be lost in this school forever. Why are there so many hallways anyway?!

She grumbled under her breath, then started to look around to find someone for help. There were a few people loitering about, but they were congregated in packs or pairs, and the lonesome ones looked kind of…odd, to put it mildly. She then saw a girl walking in her direction, her eyes glued to her phone. Since she looks normal and friendly enough, Sun young decided to just try her luck and ask the girl. But as she was approaching the girl, the bell rang shrilly.

All of a sudden, the students that were hanging around just moments ago, started to rush to their classrooms. The hallway, quite empty before, was suddenly filled with a crush of bodies as more and more students came down to the hall. Being on the petite side, Sunyoung was jostled around as the students moved around her. Trying to avoid a boy who was bustling about with armloads of books, she accidently stepped on someone’s foot. When she turned around to apologize to the person who’s foot she pretty sure she crushed, she was pushed roughly from behind, causing her to stumble forward. Luckily, the person in front of her managed to catch her by grabbing her arms, saving her from getting to know the school’s floor intimately.

“Hey, are you okay?” A deep voice rumbled from in front of her, sending a pleasant feeling through her body. She looked up to meet a set of gentle, dark brown eyes staring at her in concern.

Distracted, she looked down and brushed herself clean, then looked back at the stranger in front of him. “Yeah, I’m fine. Thank you.” She smiled gratefully at the boy.

The boy smile back at her, but his smile was much sunnier than hers. He looked so friendly and nice that Sunyoung immediately warmed up at him.

“You dropped something.” The boy bent down and pick up something from the floor. He then handed it back to her. “Hey, isn’t that this school’s map? Are you new here?”

“Yeah, I just move here today.”

“Really? That’s great! Let me be the first to welcome you to Namsam Primary School.” He said enthusiastically, spreading his arms wide. Sunyoung laughed at his animated welcoming.

“Thanks, but the lady at the school’s office already welcomed me here first.” She answered pertly. The boy chuckled at her teasing, and then makes a disappointed face, making her laugh. “Aw man! The second one, then.”

 “Okay.” She then looked down at the map in her hand. “This map wasn’t much of a help anyway. I at following directions.” Sunyoung shrugged as she pocketed the map.

 “Hey, I can show you around, if you want to.” The boy offered, grinning widely at her.

Wow, his smile is so bright! I had never seen anyone smile so wide before, until his eyes disappeared and crinkles forming on the sides, and cheekbones popped out.

 She decided that she really like his smile, it’s so infectious. And it’s making her feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

“I’d appreciate that, but I’d hate to become a burden to…” The boy waved away her words before she even finished.

“Don’t fret, it’ll be my pleasure. Besides, you’ll have nothing to worry about. The kids here are friendly, and the teachers are quite nice-” He broke off as they heard someone yelling at them. A teacher was walking their way, and her expression wasn’t what Sunyoung would call ‘nice’.

“Yah, what are you kids doing there? Didn’t you hear the bell? Go to your classroom right now!” The teacher ordered, rapping her cane on their heads lightly as warning before continuing down the hall, glaring at them.

The two of them watch the teacher until she disappeared, then stared at each other in bemusement. All of the sudden, the boy started to laugh, which causes Sunyoung to burst out in laughter too, though she had no idea why she was amused.

“Well, not all teachers are nice, apparently.” The boy said, still snickering. When his laughter died down, he held out a hand while giving her an eye-smile. “By the way, I’m Jinki. And you are?”

Sunyoung, still giggling, took his hand and shook it firmly. “I’m Sunyoung.”