What Happened Last Night?

Goodbye Summer

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

~~~

The sunlight woke her up. Usually it was welcomed; Sunyoung loves to rise with the sun, enjoying the blinding bright sunshine shining down on her. But today, today it caused nothing but a piercing headache.

“Ugh…” She moaned out, turning away from the sun and clutched her head. She felt like it’s going to explode at the slightest provocation. It’s like having a migraine, only 10 times worse. Not to mention she felt like throwing up everything in her belly each time she shifted. Sunyoung took a slow, deep breath, trying not to move too fast. She knew what these symptoms meant.

She was hangover. Badly.

Oh God, had I imbibed a winery last night!? My head felt like it’s been struck by a hammer, repeatedly.

“Oh good, you’re awake now.”

Her headache suddenly forgotten, Sunyoung screamed shrilly in shock. The deep voice saying those words was coming from under the blanket next to her. In the same bed.

Driven by adrenaline born from her fear, she blindly threw some kicks and punches at the unknown intruder, as hard as she can hard. He tumbled off the bed with a pained groan.

“! Are you trying to kill me, Sunyoung?” The intruder questioned angrily, sitting up on the ground as he tried to untangle the blanket from around him. A familiar head, with messy black hair popped up from the side of the bed. He glared at Sunyoung.

Sunyoung widened her eyes in surprise and let out another earsplitting screech. She snatched a pillow nearby and pitched it with stunning strength towards the intruder. It hit him square on his face.

What the hell are you doing in my bed, Lee Jinki?!”

Jinki stood up, clutching the pillow and rubbing his sore, abused body. Luckily Sunyoung’s aim was off, or he’ll surely be unmanned by her kicks by now. Still, it hurts like hell. He tossed back the pillow at Sunyoung, annoyed.

Me?! You’re asking me what I’m doing in your bed? You’re the one who forced me to sleep here!”

Sunyoung gasped, affront. She did not do that, did she?

“I didn’t!”

“Uh huh. Look at this.” Jinki had pulled up his sleeve and showed her his right arm. There’s a faint bruise there, and little crescent dents that looks like fingernail marks. “You held on my arm, refusing to let go when I tried to leave. You didn’t even allow me to move. My hand is cramped now, you know?”

“I didn’t!” She repeated, but with less conviction now.

Jinki snorted, crossing his arms. “Yes, you did. You were even crying, begging me not to go. ‘Please Jinki, don’t leave me! Stay with me, I don’t want to sleep alone.’” His tone had gone higher as he mimicked her voice.

Did I really do that? Oh my God, so embarrassing!

She can’t even remember doing that, but seeing the evidence, it must be true… Wait, she didn’t remember anything from last night!

Sunyoung took in his clothes. The top three buttons of his shirt was undone, and it wasn’t tucked in. His pants were very creased, and he was barefooted.  She looked down on herself, still in her dress from last night. The dress was horribly wrinkled, and riding up her thighs, almost showing her .

She gasped, pulling the sheets around her, covering her body.

“You didn’t do anything to me last night, did you?” She questioned, though it was sounding like an accusation.

Jinki snorted and rolled his eyes.

“If I did, you’ll be by now.”

Sunyoung gaped at his blunt retort, before feeling the blood rushing to her cheeks. She was blushing furiously, mortified. She can’t even look at his face right now. And her headache chose that time to make a solid comeback, after all her adrenaline faded away. So she just pulled the sheet over her head and rolled away from him, in pain or embarrassment, she wasn’t sure. Maybe it was both.

An amused chuckle penetrated through her thin cocoon.

“Hey, when you’re done being embarrassed, come out to the kitchen. I’ll be starting coffee in the meantime.”

The door opened, and seconds later she can hear the faint sound of Jinki moving about in her kitchen, opening and closing the cupboard doors.

“Yah, there’s no coffee in here!”

Gritting her teeth, she yelled back. “Of course there isn’t! I don’t drink coffee, you pabo-yah!”

His reply was a muffled “Oh, yeah”, and then he continued his search again.

Sunyoung closed her eyes and gave herself a prep talk, still cowering under the sheet.

Okay, take a deep breath. It’s okay, Sunyoung. Nothing happened. You just sleep with him, and it’s not even the first time you did it. And it’s just Jinki! It’s just Jinki, so there’s nothing to be embarrassed about. He was even there when you got your first period, for God’s sake! So this is nothing to be embarrassed about. Just clean up, and go meet him in the kitchen like nothing happened. And nothing did happen.

“Right.” She nodded to herself, finally coming out of the blankets, ready to face the world. Or rather, ready to face Jinki.

---

Sunyoung came out to the kitchen 15 minutes later to find Jinki sitting at her dining table, drinking something from her mug and looking like he’s at home. Having taken a quick shower and dressed in comfortable clothes, she felt much more confident about confronting him. She sat down on the chair opposite of him.

“Here,” He nudges a cup filled with dark brown liquid towards her. “I made hot chocolate.”

“Thanks.” Grateful, she picked it up and took a sip.  Seconds later she slammed the mug down and ran to the sink to spit it out.

“What the hell, Jinki! You don’t know what sugar is?”

After rinsing , she grabbed the sugar canister from the kitchen and made her way back to a snickering Jinki.

“I just thought it’ll sober you up faster.”

She just rolled her eyes at his lame excuse and scooped two teaspoons of sugar into her hot chocolate. Jinki frowned.

“Yah, too much sugar is not good for you, Sunyoung-ah.”

She stirred her drink and smiled sweetly at him, saying sarcastically, “Don’t worry, I’ll remember to brush my teeth before I go to sleep, okay?”

Jinki shook his head, disapproving but didn’t proceed. Instead he shot her another question.

“How are you now? Still hangover?”

“Oh, I’m better already. My hangovers are usually quick to end. Thanks for asking though.” Sunyoung answered absently, grabbing a packet of crackers from the serving tray. She munched on it silently, trying to figure out what to say.

She didn’t need to bother.

“So…you didn’t remember anything from last night? Anything at all?” Jinki asked, staring intently at her.

Sunyoung frowned, tapping her chin, trying to recall the event of last night. She remembered eating at the night market with Jinki, and after that was a big blank. She looked at Jinki. The man was concentrating on her, his expression a bit…anxious? Why would he be anxious? Unless…

“Yah, something did happened last night , right?” She demanded, slapping her palm on the table.

Jinki was taken aback by her reaction. He looked away from her, rubbing the back of his neck unconsciously. His cheeks were tinted pink.

“Uh, no. Nothing happened...”

 Sunyoung knew that gestures. It means Jinki was uncomfortable. And he was blushing. So what did happened…

She gasped, standing up and pointing an accusing finger at Jinki.

“You did something to me, didn’t you? You erted bastard!”

“Yah, I didn’t!” He protested vehemently, though he didn’t quite meet her eyes.

“Then why are you blushing?”

“I’m not! I was just…hot, okay?” He finished lamely. Before she could blast him again, Jinki stood up, his expression upset.

“Look, I swear I didn’t do anything to you. Why won’t you believe me?”

“Well, you look suspicious, so I –”

Jinki threw his hands up in frustration, and went on to grab his coat on the sofa in the living room. Sunyoung followed him.

 “Do you know how hard it is to maneuver around a cramped night market carrying an unconscious person on my back? Do you know how tiring it is to bring you all the way up here to your home? Do you know how long I stayed outside, still piggybacking you while trying to figure out your pass code? All that, and what do I get in return? Being accused a ert when I didn’t even do anything.”

“Well, I didn’t ask you for any of it…”

He snorted, “Oh? Then should I just leave you at the stall, passed out? Okay, Sunyoung. Whatever.” He reached the front door and started to yank it open.

Feeling guilty, Sunyoung ran and grabbed on his arm.

“Ugh, okay. Fine! I’m sorry, Jinki, for being such a brat. It’s been hard on you, and I didn’t even say thank you. I’m so sorry, okay?”

He paused, hand still on the handle. “Not good enough.”

Sunyoung rolled her eyes. Now he’s playing hard to get.

“Okay, as a thank you, I’ll buy you dinner! Anywhere you want.”

Jinki looked thoughtful for awhile, before a small smirk grew on his lips.

“No takeout. I want you to cook for me. Your mom’s chicken stew recipe.”

Sunyoung sighed and relented. It’s time to give omma a call. “Done.”

“With bibimbap and galbi too.”

“Hey, don’t push your luck, buddy.” Sunyoung warned, wagging her finger at him. He laughed.

“Okay, tonight. But I really need to go now.”

Sunyoung nodded, releasing him and watched as he opened the door.

“I’ll look forward to tonight, Sunyoung.”

She nodded again, waving him off. But before he managed to take a few steps, her voice echoed down the empty hallway.

“Yah, I’m cooking for you Jinki, so bring some fruit and beverages too. Don’t come empty handed!”

Then she shut the door without even giving him a chance to reply.

A small chuckle escaped him as he pressed the elevator’s button. “You’re ordering me around again like you used to, Sunyoung.”

But I’m glad. It means you’re comfortable with me again.

I missed us too.

 

---

A/N: This is…lame. Huhu, I’m sorry if I failed you guys!! And I’m sorry for not updating in a gazillion years! Slow writer here, remember?

Btw, about this chapter, there’s something suspicious about Jinki, don’t you think?

Hehe, I’m not gonna tell on what happened last night~ at least I won’t in this chapter.

I’d appreciated if you leave comments, and upvotes are always a pleasant reward (^^,)

Annyeong~