Catterpillar

Loveliest Confusion

Everybody knows what fairytales are. Ever since we were young we were told about children-baking witches, dashing princes, sleeping princesses and happy endings. The good ones were always the pretty and broken while the bad ones are the horse-haired warty uglies. In short, the world stereotypes.

In my school beauty is an obsession. The top of the food chain comprise of the beauties, the prodigies, the rich-daddies and the sporty. The middle are the jack of all trades and masters of none while the bottom consist of students with scholarships. And then there’s me, same old fat Byun Baekhyun.

“Hey Baekhyun your experiment about metamorphosis was really interesting” a girl with brown curls whom I’ve never talked to said. A lot of people had been congratulating me lately. Everywhere I go people would either shake my hand or pat my back. And it’s my science fair project’s fault. My train of thought was halted by Kai. He was standing by his locker looking perfect with his hair glistening like a halo.

“Really?” slamming the locker he said “but that’s the only thing he’ ever good with, so it was pretty ordinary”.

Kai’s your absolute bad boy. Tight jeans, sneakers, wind-blown hair not to mention good looking he’s the total package. So everyone (and I mean everyone) would hyperventilate (inwardly or not) when talking to him. Like this one here.

“I-i-i-I y-y-y-um-yeah” brown curls stuttered.

I’m not sure if Kai heard her, since he was already walking away but I’m sure she didn’t care. She’s too busy swooning. Sighing, I turned to her mumbled my thanks and goodbye,

*****

Today we’re having gym, my least favorite. But it would seem that today’s my lucky day. The boys are playing basketball and I don’t think they’ll be thrilled to have a 100-pound bouncer playing with them and besides I like muscles they’re fun to watch especially when the flex. So while listening to music, I watch the game from the corner.

Then suddenly I heard someone saying my name. I turned my head to see whose calling when suddenly everything turns pitch black.