Don't Bother

Save Me

            He grinned wider as he took both my hands in his and tugged me off the bar stool.  “Why else would I come to a club?  I’m looking for y girls to get freaky with on the dance floor.”

            I actually laughed at him, but allowed him to lead me closer to the dance floor.

            “That just sounds cute coming from you,” I told him.  “Now tell me.  What are you really doing here?

            He stopped, pouting, and dropped my hands.  Putting his own on his hips, he sighed.  “You aren’t seeing my hyung anymore.”  My whole body sagged hearing those words.  Of course he knew about what happened between me and Tae Il.  Then he shrugged casually.  “I thought I had a chance with you.”

            I eyed him suspiciously.  “What?”

            He took my hands and pulled me into his chest.  Twisting his baseball cap a little to the side, he whispered in my ear, “You said you were bored with him.  He was your toy.  Why not play with me then?  I’m fun.”  My hands flattened on his chest and I pushed my upper half away from him when he leaned in to kiss me.

            “Yu Kwon!” I squeaked.  “What are you doing?”

            “Come on, Kelly.  I’m cute.  Girls love me.  I’m not boring.  You want excitement.  I can give it to you.”

            I was in the Twilight Zone.  What the hell was going on?  I’d met Yu Kwon and the other guys half a dozen times and I never would have thought any of them would come after me.  What was happening?!

            “You are very cute and I understand why girls love you, but I just…can’t.  I don’t want to be with you,” I said, gently.

            He released my hips and crossed his arms over his chest.  Arching an eyebrow, he asked, “Oh?  Ok, how about Jae Hyo hyung then?  No, you know who I bet you want a shot at?  Zico.”  He nodded as if he’d just figured out a complex calculus problem.

            I laughed awkwardly.  “No, no thanks.  I’m not interested.”

            He pouted out his lower lip in confusion.  “Don’t tell me you like them younger.  I mean maknae would be ecstatic, but I didn’t think you were the type who-”

            My eyes bugged out in horror.  “No!  I mean, he’s cute and all, but no.  I don’t want him either.”

            “Hmm…not Zico, Jae Hyo hyung, Maknae, not me…” he hummed.  His face lit up with an idea.  I cringed a little.  “Kyung!  I knew you had a thing for rappers!  I was just guessing the wrong rappers, right?”  I pressed my lips together and shook my head.  He frowned.  “B-bomb?  Min Hyuck hyung has nice eyes, but I wouldn’t have guessed him as your type, but ok.  I can call him now.”  He pulled out his cell phone and held it up, a child-like excited look on his face.

            “That’s…sweet, Yu Kwon, but no.  No, thank you.”

            “Then try me!  Come on,” he whined, placing his hands on my shoulders and giving me an adorable smile.  “I’m fun.  Play with me!  Why don’t you want me?”

            This was getting too weird.  I nicely flicked his hands off me.  “I’m just not interested.  I’m…sorry?”

            “In any of us?  Come on.  There must be someone you want.”

            Tae Il.  I want Tae Il.  “Nope.  Sorry.”

            He tapped a finger against his cheek.  “So you meant it that our band was lame.  Is that why you don’t want me?”

            I sighed.  Of course.  Now they all think I’m a who hates them.  “I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean that.  I was just mad.  I love Block b.  You guys are awesome and far from lame.”  He nodded, a smile forming.

            “I knew you liked our music,” he laughed lightly.  Clearing his throat, he continued, “Ok, so what is it then?  Who do you want?”

            Another sigh escaped my lips.  Tae Il! I thought bitterly.  I want Tae Il.

            “Come on, just pick one.  Seriously.  Zico?” he guessed.  I shook my head.  “Jae Hyo hyung?”  Shake, shake.  “B-bomb?”  No.  “Kyung?”  Not him either.  “Not Maknae.”  I smiled sadly and shook my head.  “Me?”  I bit my bottom lip.  “Ok, ok.  The only one left is Tae Il hyung and he’s boring, so it can’t be him.”

            “He’s not boring!” I blurted out.  I blinked rapidly to hide the tears.  “He’s not boring,” I repeated calmly.

            “He is though.  Seriously.  He’s a great hyung and he’s one of the most talented people I know, but it’s true.  He’s boring.”

            “He is not,” I argued.

            “No, really.  You were right.  And, you know, he’s not very attractive.”

            “What?”  Anger began to bubble up inside me.  I clenched hands into fists.

            Yu Kwon put his hands up in defense.  “I’m just stating facts here.  He’s got small eyes.  He has a great voice, but he’s unattractive.  Not to mention dumb.  He’s not the smartest around.  Plus, he’s so quiet, it’s aggravating.”

            How could he say such things about the person he was supposed to be close to?

            “Shut up, Yu Kwon!” I growled.  My arms bent, I wanted to hit him.  Instead, I closed my eyes and breathed slowly.  No, forget that.  I glared at Yu Kwon and then lunged forward, shoving him hard.  He stumbled backwards a few steps.  When he regained his balance, he looked confused.

            “Why are you so mad?” he wondered, rubbing one hand over his chest.

            “Why am I so mad?!” I screeched, not caring if I could be heard over the pulsating music.  No one was looking at me yet, not that it mattered.  But just in case, I grabbed him by the shirt and jerked him forward.  Getting into his face, I carried on, heatedly, “Who are you to say such things about Tae Il?  How dare you insult him like that?  You’re a real bastard, you know that?  Tae Il is an amazing person!  He’s gorgeous and smart and wonderful to talk to.  He’s caring and sweet.  You wish you could be half the man he is!”  My knuckles were white as I continued to clutch a handful of his shirt.  Disgustedly, I let go and stepped back.

            Yu Kwon crossed his arms over his chest.  “Kelly, what’s the matter?  He’s just another guy on your long list of toys, right?  It’s not like you loved him or anything.”

            I gritted my teeth in rage.  “You have no idea how much I…”  He smirked, his eyes playful and mischievous.  Realization washed over me, filled my mind and I in a breath.  “Oh, my God.  You set me up.”

            He laughed.  “Sorry, but someone had to do something to get you to admit you were being an idiot.”

            “Oh…” I sighed.  “Yu Kwon.”

            “Go talk to hyung, ok?  He’s a wreck.  Whatever you guys said to each other, it was just a fight.  You can get over it.  He’s so worried about you, but he doesn’t want to pressure you, but he wants to see you so badly.”

            My eyes stung.  “I can’t.  I’m sorry I got so mad at you.  You’re a good friend, but I can’t talk to Tae Il.  I-I meant everything I said to him.”

            He rolled his eyes.  “I already got you, remember?  I know the truth.  I know you love him.  He loves you so much.  You guys can work through whatever it is that’s plaguing you.  Please, please, go talk to him.”

            I shook my head and stepped away from him.  “Yu Kwon, you don’t understand.  It’s a lot harder than that.  Please.  Just leave me alone.”

            He reached out to stop me, but I held my hands away from him.  “No, wait.  It’s not as hard as you think, Kelly!  He’d do anything for you.  What could be so bad that it would keep you from being with the one person who loves you with his whole heart?”

            “You don’t understand,” I choked out, a sob threatening to come through.  “I have to go.  I’m sorry.  I…”  I shook my head and dodged his arm as I fled from the club.

            No one would notice I left.  The girls had left a while ago when Jenna began to feel a craving for ice cream.  No one cared.  Story of my life.

            I ran for a couple of blocks until I got a cramp and started coughing, wheezing, and spitting blood.  I walked the rest of the way to the Han River.  Finding myself near the same place where Tae Il and I jumped, I slumped onto the ground before I got to the bridge and cried.

            I cried until I couldn’t anymore.  Physically couldn’t.  I had no tears left.  I sat on the ground and faced the river.  Remembering the look on Tae Il’s face when I stripped down to my underwear.  How he laughed when he talked.  The panicked look in his eyes when we saw the police.  I chuckled bitterly.

            And Yu Kwon, that little punk, I thought fondly.  Hugging my legs to my chest, I rested my forehead against my knees.  I felt sleepy and sick.  My eyes closed as my brain began forming more unwilling images of the guy haunting me.

            Some time later, I heard footsteps.  I didn’t think much of it until I sensed the intruder sit next to me.  I growled, not lifting my head.  How did Yu Kwon find me?

            “Come on, man,” I grumbled against my knees before lifting my head.  “I told you I didn’t…”  My mouth stayed open, but the words stopped coming out.

            “Hi,” he greeted me softly.  Then he smiled and I wanted to curl into his lap.

            Looking into his eyes, I felt the wall I’d worked so hard to strengthen begin to crumble.  No.  I couldn’t be selfish.  I couldn’t do this to him.  I swallowed hard and blinked slowly, gathering my thoughts and my courage.

            “What are you doing here?” I asked, voice flat.

            His smile wavered.  “Yu Kwon called me and told me what he did.  He said you were supposed to see the truth and then come to me, but instead you got really mad and ran from the club.”  He paused to chuckle once.  “He’s a good guy, but I never would have let him do that had I known.”  With a shrug, he added, “I didn’t know where you’d be, but my first two guesses were the playground we went to a few times to talk until dawn and then here.  Apparently, second time is the charm.”

           Yu Kwon’s plan worked.  I’m sorry.  I love you.  “You wasted your time coming here,” I stated.  I stood, but he sprung to his feet and he held his hands out to me.

            “Wait, wait.  He told me how you defended me when he was bad mouthing me.  Can’t we talk?  We could-”

            I’ll tell you everything.  Then hold me and tell me everything is going to be ok.  “I have nothing to say to you.”

            He stepped forward, catching me by surprise, he caught my face between his hands.  His eyes pleading and desperate with worry.  “No, Kelly.  I won’t let you run this time.  Tell me what’s going on.  I know there’s something.  You love me.  I knew you did.  Yu Kwon was right.  We can work through this, but only if you let me in.”

            I wiggled out of his grasp and slapped his hands away.  “I don’t want you in!  Just give up!  Leave me alone!  Stop making this so damn hard!”

            “I’m not giving up on you!  Damn it, Kelly!  Stop this crap!” he shouted furiously.

            “Why are you such a glutton for punishment?” I hollered back.

            “Just talk to me.  Whatever it is, it can’t be that bad!”

            “You have no idea how bad it is!”  I was ready to scream more, but my voice caught in my throat and I began to cough.  Hard.  My body wracked with hacking coughs.  So badly that I actually collapsed to the ground, on my hands and knees, coughing so hard, I thought I’d throw up.  Tae Il fell to his knees next to me, rubbing my back and gathering my hair away from my face.  When the coughing stopped, my mouth was filled with blood and I had no choice but to spit.  Sitting back on my haunches, I looked up to the sky and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

            I shook my head and covered my eyes when I heard Tae Il gasp.

            “You’re bleeding, Kelly!” he exclaimed.  He tugged on my arm.  “Let’s go to a hospital.  You need a doctor.”  I ripped my arm away from him and scrambled to stand.  I was dizzy and my motions faltered.  He pulled me back to the ground and locked his arms around me.  “No, damn it!  I’ll pin you down and call an ambulance if I have to!  You’re coughing up blood!  I won’t let you get away this time!” he roared.  He was livid, but I felt his arms shake.  His voice cracked a little.

            And then everything shattered.  I crumbled in his arms, burying my face into his shoulder and sobbed.  I felt his whole person soften as he held me close.

            “Kelly…” he breathed as my sobs subsided a few minutes later.

            “I’m sick, Tae Il,” I admitted, still unable to look at him.  “Really sick.  I’m dying, so don’t bother calling an ambulance.”