The Storm Always Comes After the Calm

The Misconception of a Human
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

THE STORM ALWAYS COMES AFTER THE CALM

 

 

He would be alright. Now, he would be okay. He had suffered enough. It was time for him to be happy. Because that’s what a child was supposed to do, right? Learn to smile. Learn to laugh. But also to stand up again and become stronger no matter how many times you fall. Life. Yes, that’s definitely how life was. A beautiful yet cruel thing. A present which could quickly become poisonous. A present which was never permanent. A present we had to enjoy before it fade away. Before the time is sold out.

It was this thought that made you move from the kitchen counter, where you were observing him thoughtfully through the window. You abandoned your cup filled with hot milk on the coffee table and walked to him, who was playing in front of the house, accompanied by your loyal four-legged friend. The breeze was quite refreshing and you were glad you wore your cardigan so it could provide you its warmth. You sat down on the grass a few meters away from the both of them. You looked up and saw that Jinho had already put on some clean clothes and a coat from the belongings you had brought from his previous home before he had asked you to burn it down. You had been shocked by this request but assumed it was for the better. The mature tone he had used despite his young age had been enough to convince you to listen to him. It was his home after all. His past. And it was already destroyed anyway. It had been his choice to start all over again. To relieve his family from this painful memories symbolized by this house. He said it was what they would have wanted. He was happy they could now rest in peace. Even if they didn’t have a proper place to rest since the Hunters who attacked them had done a rather clean work. There were absolutely no traces left of them. But once again, maybe it was for the best. Because you didn’t want the boy to see such a disaster.

Before going back to the Jägers’ lair, all of you dropped by your own house so you could bring your own clothes over. You still remembered the discussion you had with him then.

 

« “I see the window is already repaired…” you stated in a challenging tone while turning slowly to Myungsoo with a raised eyebrow. He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

“It’s been a few days already… Sunggyu told us not to tell you or else he would strangle each one of us” he explained reluctantly, already cursing himself for provoking his upcoming death just with these words.

“He really is such a child sometimes” you shook your head while chuckling, amused.

“I think he is right. You should come to the lair. You would be safe and well… it’s… funnier when you are around” he mumbled the last part almost inaudibly before walking quickly out of your room, what made you smile. He had always been so shy when it came to express his feelings. Obviously he wasn’t Luhan. He couldn’t read minds. Otherwise he would not have embarrassed himself to tell you these things. Because he didn’t know what you were about to do. He didn’t know you were just about to grant their wish. You took a small suitcase and piled your clothing and some belongings inside. You assumed Jimin was doing the same with his own things since he always knew what was on your mind.

You took a hold of your frame and stared at the photograph of your parents holding your petite figure in their arms, smiling like there was no tomorrow. You smiled, brushing the surface of their happy faces.

“Are they your parents?” Jinho asked while walking to your spot. He sat on the bed, just next to your suitcase.

“Hm, they are looking good, right?” you smiled and he nodded happily while gazing at the frame “You’re not with the others?” you inquired then, putting the photograph on the pile of clothes.

“I was searching for you and I heard you and Myungsoo-hyung talking…” he smiled sheepishly before pointing to the clothes in front of you with a movement of his head “Why are you packing? You’re not going anywhere without me, huh?” he asked suspiciously with a frown decorating his cute little face.

“No” you chuckled and ruffled his hair “You see, this is my home. The place I used to live in with my parents, and when they… passed away, Jimin moved in because he was kind of worried about me living alone. But from now on, we will come and live at the lair. It is safer if we are all together and I can be with you’’

“It is not safe, here?” he blinked innocently.

“It is. But you know, we are living dangerously. I got attacked several times and the last time was just a week ago” you explained to him, avoiding the fact that the one who attacked you recently were no others than the Jianhuren themselves, in order to get rid of Sehun.

“You also got attacked by hunters?!” he exclaimed with round incredulous eyes.

“No. Not hunters. Demons, Jinho. Runaways.” You cleared up for him.

“But… but we are not bad people, we never hurt anybody!” he defended himself while looking down. You sighed and crouched down in front of him after having closed your suitcase.

“Jinho, all the demons are not like you and your parents. Some of them are rash, violent and kill humans without hesitation. These types of demons killed Jimin’s parents, you know. Some of them are just out of control and need to be neutralized for the sake of humans, but also for the sake of Runaways like you… I know it is difficult to trust us, but you have to understand. We have to fight back for this world. We can’t let these demons destroy it. It would not be fair to ask Humans to give up.”

He looked at you seriously and for several seconds it was silent. “I understand. I didn’t really want to run away earlier but…” he played with his fingers, obviously reluctant to continue his sentence. “The men who attacked us… they had the same ring…” he then blurted out.  »

 

His last sentence was the reason of the Jianhuren’s absence. They were gone to their mansion. As soon as you went back to the lair, you told Suho about it. About the ring the Hunters who attacked Jinho and his family wore. This ring which was also the same as the one each Jianhuren were wearing. And he laughed. It was the saddest laugh you had ever heard. He had wanted to believe it wasn’t his dad’s doing. He had truly hoped his father was a better person than he appeared to be. But it was all bull. His hoped were just bull. This piece of information proved it. His father was well and truly responsible for the boy’s loss and probably for others’ to come. But he was also grateful. Because it gave him the courage to do what he was actually doing. Packing. Refusing to obey his father’s orders. Refusing to kill any more innocents on his behalf. He had informed Sunggyu about his decision and the latter approved of it. That’s when he had suggested them to settle at the lair.

You let out a heavy sigh while closing your eyes, letting the fresh air filling your lungs. The house was going to be so full from now on and yet, it seemed so empty right now. The West Circle went back home a few hours ago now because they had to watch over their territory as well. Ravi asked to stay a bit longer though and both Sunggyu and Hakyeon had nothing against it since they knew you and him had a lot of things to talk about. Sunggyu and your friends were on a patrol. You were supposed to go with them but you had decided not to, even if Jimin had been far from being happy about it. Of course, he understood you needed to watch over Jinho even if Ravi and Sehun were also home and could do it for you : he was aware the boy was still distrustful toward the others and felt at ease with you because you appeared reassuring to him. But the fact is that he didn’t really like being away from you. Especially when you were the one who suggested it. Especially when he knew Ravi would be staying with you.

“Seyi?”  You got pulled out of your thoughts as someone called you out and you looked up to face Sehun’s smile.

“Hey” you smiled back as you saw him sitting next to you. “Is everything alright?”

“Yeah, I just wanted to have some fresh air… I felt kind of suffocated in this big empty house” he admitted.

“Don’t worry, it will soon become really noisy” you said as an amused smile stretched your lips upwards.

“I just hope we aren’t going to turn deaf at such a young age… How many days before the first casualty?” he joked what made you laugh genuinely. He was improving in his new found mission and his smile widened at the view you were offering. He noticed how your hair became a bit redder compared to the first time you met and he assumed it was the sign your demon nature was gaining the upper hand on your human one. He perfectly recalled the words you told him once. And now, he assumed you were finally becoming the one you were supposed to be after all these years. He couldn’t help but to think that, despite your reddening hair and your deep black eyes, you were looking like an angel when you smiled like that.

“Speaking of casualty, how is your wound?” you inquired with concern. With all these training sessions and Jinho’s s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter