U - F - J

Soul Strings

It was a random “bring your daughter to work” day that everything at home changed for Jessica. That was the day she cursed her ability to see that fated red string.


“Be a good girl and sit still here, okay?” her appa led her to his desk.


“Ne, appa,” the young girl sat on the chair that was provided and looked down to see paper and crayons were prepared for her.


“Now, appa is just going to start on some paperwork, then I’ll show you around the place, okay?”


Jessica nodded before she went forward and colored the paper on the desk. A soft hum escaped her lips as she waited for her father to finish. She was really interested in the copying machine and wanted to make copies of stuff. The quiet atmosphere was broken when a sharp knock was heard and a head peeked into the room.


“Come in,” Mr. Jung said.


The woman smiled and walked forward, “Coffee?”


“Oh, thank you Hyojin. I needed that,” Jessica watched as he grabbed the coffee cup with gratitude.

 

“No problem,” she waved it off.


“Oh, I want you to meet my daughter, Sooyeon. Sooyeon-ah, this is Hyojin, she started working here last week,” he turned to find a glare on his daughter’s face.


Jessica remained stoic while Hyojin waved with a tentative smile, “Hey there, Sooyeon. That’s a nice picture you’re coloring.”


Mr. Jung rubbed the back of his head, “Sorry, she’s a bit shy. Sooyeon, say hi.”


The little girl didn’t know what to feel. She didn’t like this woman who worked with her precious appa and there was an uneasy churning in the pit of her stomach. Her heart dropped as she watched her appa take a sip of his coffee. Jessica felt like crying. Her father’s red string was firmly attached to this woman’s left pinky.