S - T

Soul Strings

Legend says that a fated red string connects you to your soul mate.

 

Jessica’s earliest memory of it was at the mere age of five.

 

A young Jessica watched her mother curiously in the living room who held her toddler sister. Her father was at work while they watched some television show at home. The cartoon show was not able to hold her attention but rather, her young mind noticed the three red strings in the room.

 

“Mama, what’s the string for?” inquisitive eyes looked up at her mother.

 

“What string, Sooyeon-ah?” her mother was a bit distracted as she fed toddler Krystal.

 

Little Jessica tugged on the string connected to her mama’s left pinky, “This one.”

 

Mrs. Jung looked down and watched her eldest daughter tug at air below her hand. She smiled gently, “I’m glad you’re using your imagination, Sooyeon-ah, but there’s nothing there.”

 

Tiny brows came together in a frown, “Nuh uh, it’s right here. Soojung has one too. What does the red string mean, mama?”

 

“Red string?” her mother furrowed her brows in thought; she couldn’t be talking about soul mates, could she? It must have been the cartoons Jessica was watching. Perhaps a Valentine’s special or something. She shook her head in amusement. Her daughter was such a curious one.

 

“The red string connects two soul mates together.”

 

Little Jessica kicked her feet off the edge of the couch as she listened to her mother, “Mama, what are soul mates?”

 

“It’s the one other person you will fall in love with because you were made for each other. You’ll marry and spend the rest of your life with them,” Mrs. Jung smiled at Jessica.

 

“Marry? Like you and appa?”

 

“Yes, Sooyeon-ah.”

 

A frown covered little Jessica’s face, “Does everyone find their soul mate?”

 

“Well, no. Not everyone finds their soul mate, Sooyeon. The world is really big and finding that one other person is difficult.”

 

“Mama, are you and appa soul mates?”

 

Mrs. Jung paused and observed the hopeful eyes of her eldest, “Ne. Your appa and I are.”

 

“We are what?” a deep voice asked from the hallway.

 

Jessica’s father was in his business suit, his tie put on loosely and a briefcase in hand, “Ah, yeobo.”

 

“How are my angels doing?” he had a wide smile on his tired face.

 

“Appa!” Jessica threw her tiny arms around her father’s legs.

 

Mr. Jung lifted her up and kissed her temple before he walked over to his wife, “And how’s little Soojung?”

 

He lowered his head to kiss the sleeping toddler and kiss his wife as well, “The both of us are what?”

 

Mrs. Jung laughed, “Sooyeon-ah wanted to know if we’re soul mates.”

 

Jessica squirmed in her father’s embrace, she wanted to be put down, “Mama said that soul mates are connected by a red string.”

 

Mr. Jung chuckled in amusement, “Is that so? Well your mama and I are very much in love and are soul mates. I did marry my high school sweetheart after all. Our red strings are connected.”

 

The two parents looked over to their firstborn and noticed the deep frown that marred her face. Her eyebrows were furrowed together in thought and there was a slight glare in her eyes. A pout jutted out from her lip in dissatisfaction.

 

“What’s wrong, Sooyeon-ah?” her mother prodded after a minute of silence.

 

Disappointment filled the young Jung as her eyes glanced at her parents’ left pinkies. Her mama’s left hand cradled Krystal and her appa had his arm around her waist, his hand on her hip. Their left pinkies were less than a foot apart but all Jessica could focus on was the red strings that led out the door.

 

“Your red strings aren’t connected.”

 

~

 

Hey guys, I have a quick shoutout to myself. LOL. Check out my scenarios blog on tumblr. I fill in requests over there for Taenysic and if you're interested here's the link: ----> http://TaeNySicScenarios.tumblr.com

See you next week!!!