O - I

Soul Strings

It took Jessica some time to accept that her parents were not soul mates. They were still very much in love but just never met their soul mate. She was sort of glad for that because she would have never been born.


“Don’t wander off too far, okay?”


“Ne, mama,” Jessica said lazily.


“Make sure you look both ways.”


“Ne, mama.”


“Do you remember what you’re buying?”


“Kimchi and eggs, mama.”


“Okay, keep your jacket zipped up and wear gloves and-”


“Jagiya, she’ll be fine,” Jessica’s appa wrapped his wife in his arms.


Her mama sighed, “I’m just being safe, yeobo.”


Jessica waved goodbye to her parents, “I’ll be going now!”


The little nine-year-old stuffed her glove enclosed hands into her jacket pockets. Her warm breath looked like smoke in the chilly air. A smile was on her face as excitement grew within her. She was a big girl now and off on an errand. By herself. Definitely big girl material.


After a couple of minutes on her journey to the grocery store, Jessica noticed it was the same path her red string was on. She pulled her left hand out of her pocket to observe the red string. Even though her hand was enclosed in a glove, the red string was still evidently there. The little girl gave an experimental tug on the string and hoped to get in contact with her soul mate. A few seconds passed and she tried again. No response. She tugged as hard as she could but still, nothing happened.


Jessica huffed. If her soul mate didn’t want to tug back, then she’d just have to find them herself. Determined, she followed the string for fifteen minutes until she noticed that she passed the grocery store a long time ago. She paused on her adventure and looked back.


She contemplated for a bit.  


Her soul mate shouldn’t be too far. She could find her. But...Mama would be angry if she didn’t come back soon. The little girl pursed her lips in thought before she sighed. She would have to go back and complete her errand first. Mama wouldn’t be pleased and her soul mate would just have to wait.


Jessica was a patient girl. Yes. She could wait.

 

~

See you guys next week! And yes, please wait. ;)