Chapter 9 - The Future of Kpop is in OUR hands.

The Revival of Time

 

21st Golden Disc Award: Newcomer Award - Cosy
21st Golden Disc Award: Disk Bonsang - Cosy
21st Golden Disc Award: Popularity Award - Cosy
16th Seoul Music Award: Newcomer Award - Cosy
16th Seoul Music Award: Popularity Award - Cosy
16th Seoul Music Award: Digital Listening Award - Gyuri
42nd Paeksang Arts Awards: Most Popular - Gyuri
2006 MBC Drama Awards: New Actress Award - Gyuri
Triple Crown for Inkigayo - Change by Cosy
Triple Crown for Inkigayo - Please Take Care of My Boyfriend by Cosy
Triple Crown for Inkigayo - Maria by Gyuri

The rows of trophies lined the glass cabinet in Cosy and Gyuri’s dorm, accounting their acheivements for the year of 2006. Gyuri debuted with ‘Goong, Princess Hours’ which helped her rise in fame and she continued on with her debut on the big screen in ‘200 Pounds Beauty’ and then earning a ‘Triple Crown’ on Inkigayo for the movie’s OST ‘Maria’. Cosy debuted with the song ‘Change’ in June with the help of G-Dragon featuring in her song and then followed up with the soft ballad track ‘Please Take Care of My Boyfriend’ which gave her double ‘Triple Crown’ under her belt and skyrocketed her popularity, earning CF deals as well as love calls from variety shows. Sources have also revealed that these 2 girls were the ones who wrote songs for other artistes who have topped the charts too. Examples being ‘U’ by Super Junior, ‘"O"-Jung.Ban.Hap.’ by TVXQ and ‘Timeless’ by Zhang LiYin featuring Xiah Junsu.

They were proud of their achievements, it meant that all their hardwork had paid off and it was recognised too. The trophies was just a reminder and recognition for their efforts. They had beaten many well-known artistes, and they were utterly shocked, dumb-founded. They had beat their favourite artistes, these artistes were much better than them and they managed to beat them, it was definitely one of the best memories they had held. Adding on to that, those well-known artistes had even come up to congratulate them. It was definitely one of those memories that was engraved into their brains forever.

Despite their newly found fame, the two girls still tried their best to remain humble and down-to-earth. They definitely didn’t want to seem like materialistic stuck-up girls. Sure, they were recognised by many people on the streets on Seoul and sometimes even being chased, but they really couldn’t grasp the fact that this was really actually happening to them. Young girls looked up to them, boys wanted to date them and almost the whole of South Korea or maybe even almost the whole of Asia LOVE them, or at least recognised them. It was really hard to believe that a dream of theirs was coming true.

They could travel the world. They were dating their ultimate biases. They were friends with their favourite idols. They were working for one of the big three, JYP Entertainment. They were featured on magazines, CFs, and even on the buildings of shopping malls! It was just one whole BIG crazy adventure. And they loved it, every part of it.

Sure, they had antis but to be honest, they didn’t really care. Heck, Cosy even went to create an additional Twitter account just to scold those antis who found her official one. It was like one of her new favourite past time to just spite them in return. But after awhile, she would just shoot back with her official one which meant more antis but also more fans who love how real she is.

As for Gyuri, well, she couldn’t be bothered with them. They could throw eggs at her, and she just wouldn’t give them even a dose of attention. She’d just walk away with her head held high, and she’d just think “Screw You.”. Like she always says, “Love me or Hate me, It’s still an Obsession”. Hell, she even had that tattooed onto the area just above her . She ignored them, as much as she could. She didn’t care, hate her all they want, it wasn’t going to get them anywhere really. Plus, them hating on her, would just help her earn more money. While they were being all mad and furious at her, she’d be laughing her way to the bank. No biggie really. I mean, unless they are gonna hate all the other artistes like the rising TVXQ or Super Junior and the soon-to-come SNSD, Shinee, 2PM and all the other bands. If not, they are really just sending her and Cosy more money for every song download. It’s just impossible for those antis to hate EVERYONE in the K-pop industry. Hate all you want haters, Gyuri doesn’t give a fish.

Finally, after all those interviews, awards shows & red-carpet events, Cosy and Gyuri could get back with the rest of their friends in JYPE to attend their last event of the year. The JYPE end of year gathering and showcase.

“Girls! Finally I get to see you girls again!” JYP exclaimed pulling Cosy and Gyuri into a hug as both girls walked into the large auditorium.
“JY oppa~ We missed you! Does that earn me more budget in my next single?” Cosy said with agyeo.
“Ah...Unfortunately there isn’t a budget for your next single.” JYP said to Cosy disappointment and continued, “But! There’s definitely more budget for your next mini album!” and Cosy’s eyes sparkled again.
“Kyaaaa! Thanks JY oppa!” Cosy said, hugging JYP again.
“Then what about me?” Gyuri said with agyeo as well.
“You will know during the concluding announcement today.” JYP said and sent her a wink. “Anyway, I got to see how the trainees are preparing for the showcase. So just find Ji Hoon and he will update you girls about the line-up for today.” JYP continued and walked off.
“Let’s go find THE Rain.” Cosy said as she saw him at the opposite end of the auditorium.

“Cosy and Gyuri! It’s been long!” Rain said and gave each a hug as the 2 girls approached him.
“Long? We just saw each other at the Golden Disk Awards yesterday.” Cosy said.
“So are you really thinking of leaving?” Gyuri suddenly asked, pouting, when Rain separated himself from the hug.
“How..How do you know about it?” Rain asked with a confused look.
“I have my sources, but are you really leaving?” Gyuri asked again secretly wanting her favourite senior to stay, but if he did stay, MBLAQ would cease to exist.
“Erm..Yeah..I talked with Jin Young hyung about that already. Am gonna start a new company outside and try producing my own group. You girls will still support me right?”
“Sure.. So my gift of support would be a name for your company, ‘J.Tune’, and a song ‘Rainism’ and just a tip, if you happened to meet this guy call Lee Chang Sun (for readers who don’t know, it’s the real name of Lee Joon), just sign him okay and---” Cosy was suddenly cut off mid sentence by Gyuri’s hand.
“Yah. Stop going around revealing the future.” Gyuri whispered to Cosy, earning a nod from her before she placed her hand down.
“Anyway oppa! What is the line-up for today?”
“Well, I’ll have to make my announcement first.” Rain said, smiling down at his two dongsaengs.
“Fighting!” The two girls encouraged, “So who are the emcees for the day then?”
“ Yoon Hee(HEHEHE. crazy hobo queen :3) & Ahn Cess.(CHINGUU! :D)
“So how does the showcase thing work this time? Donghyun oppa told us that it’s a bit different from last year’s.”
“Oh. Last year the trainees could choose their own groups and songs and only Jin Young hyung was the judge. For this year, the trainees are fixed in a team with a song given to them and guess who are the judges?”

“Who?” Cosy and Gyuri asked at the same time.
“Jin Young hyung, me, the both of you and the 5 members of g.o.d”
“WHAT?! We have no idea how to judge!!” Cosy raised her voice earning stares from some of the staff at the audience area. She turned to look at them and did a cute apology before turning back to face Rain.
“How did we become the judges all of a sudden? We have no idea how to do it.” Gyuri said.
“Hello? Korea’s rising composers telling me that you have no idea how to judge a performance? Entertaining is the key, Gyuri. Entertaining. By the way, all the songs that they are performing are written by you girls. So no complaining.” Rain retorted and walked off as one of the sound technicians called his name.
“Yah! Oppa!!” Cosy shouted, not earning a response and stomped her foot.

“RAHHHH! Who made our new rising star angry?” A voice say ily beside Cosy’s ear as a hand found its way around her waist.
Cosy turned to look and was shocked to see the ‘Toshio’ Wooyoung.
“Seriously!? Wooyoung oppa? What’s with that look? Is the song that you are performing today some ghost song? I don’t remember writing one.”
“Wooyoung oppa, if I were you, I would be more careful where I place my hands. I wouldn’t want to feel the wrath of that Rich Teeth.” Gyuri said, giving him a ‘You Know what I mean’ look and slapped his hand away from Cosy, hoping that no one else saw that.
“Aish, that hurt!” Wooyoung said, pouting at Gyuri.
“So, which group are you in?” Gyuri asked, trying her best to ignore his aegyo.
“Team 4. I’m with Doojoon, Seulong, Chansung and Jo Kwon. Speaking of, I better head back.. It was nice seeing you two again!” Wooyoung said, smiling.
It was definitely a good team with good voices and dancers, and the fact that they had two future leaders was good too.
“Oppa Fighting!” Cosy and Gyuri encouraged as the Ssanti King disappeared behind the gold-coloured curtains.

“Everyone settle down to your respective places, please. The judges would be seated here.” Cess’s voice echoed throughout the entire room as she motioned to the table in front of Yoon Hee and herself.
Gyuri and Cosy walked over to the table, which was covered by a large yellow silk cloth. They noticed names placed on the table by each seat and looked for their names. Thankfully, they were seated next to each other. The judges seats were arranged in this manner: Rain, JYP, Gyuri, Cosy, the 5 members of G.o.d.
There were a number of things already placed on the table, these included: papers with the words ‘JYP Showcase Judging Sheet’, pens that looked like they cost a bomb, bottles of water & a mic, which each of them clipped onto their attire. On each of the judging sheets, the groups & the members names were printed onto it. (Ignore the brackets, it’s just for easier identification for us and y’all readers (: )

Groups:
- Team 1: Raina(After School), Hyomin(T-ara), So Hyun(4minute), Ji Yoon(4minute), Ji Eun(Secret), Jae Kyung(Rainbow).
- Team 2: Sun Ye, Hyuna, So Hee, Sun Mi, Ye Eun (The original Wonder Girls)
- Team 3: G.Na, CL, Ga Yoon(4minute), Eunkyo(Co-Ed School/ 5dolls), Ji Hyun(4minute), Gyu-Ri(SeeYa).
- Team 4: DooJoon(Beast), Wooyoung(2PM), Seulong(2AM), Chansung(2PM), Jo Kwon(2AM).
- Team 5: Jay(2PM/Soloist), Taecyeon(2PM), Dongwoon(Beast), Nichkhun(2PM), Changmin(2AM)
- Team 6: Junsu(2PM), Junho(2PM), Gi Kwang(Beast), Jinwoon(2AM), Daehun(supposed to be in 2AM).

“Alright then, I see that our judges and everyone else is ready. Well, then we shall begin our showcase now.” Yoon Hee announced.

“Good evening everyone! I am Cess!”
“And I am Yoon Hee!”
“We are your MCs of the night!” The two bowed as everyone clapped, welcoming them warmly.
“Tonight is a very important night for JYP Entertainment, as you all know..” Cess said, dragging her last word out to create suspense.
“Yes, it is. Tonight will determine who will be JYP Entertainment’s next group to debut with the help of our judges!” Yoon Hee gestured to the judges seated at the table.
“Well then, we better introduce these important people then!”
The judges got up one by one and bowed to the audience as the MCs announced their name.

“Cosy, how am I going to judge these trainees?” Gyuri asked with a worried face once Cosy was seated down again. She was a nervous wreck, she felt like she was having some kind of panic attack. But, being an actress, she was able to hide it very well. Someone just give the girl an Oscar already.
“It’s okay, calm down.. Just judge them like you’re reviewing a music video or a concert, okay? Breathe Gyu, breathe.” Cosy soothed her best friend, doing breathing methods with her.
It worried Gyuri a lot, this showcase was going to determine the future of K-pop. It scared the freak outta her in fact, her decision was a really big deal. She’s never been able to have such an effect in history before, and this meant that she had power. And she didn’t know what to do with it, after all she was only 18... Well, mentally and emotionally 18. After a few breaths, she calmed down. Thankfully, no one noticed her having her little panic attack.

Team after team performed and strut their stuff before the judges, on the stage. And they were all really good. But, someone had to be eliminated right? After all, it was like a jungle in the industry. You’ve got to fight for what you want. No Pain, No Gain.

“It was very energetic and I can see the effort put into the routine. But, I’m sorry. It just wasn’t good enough for me”
“I loved the way you changed up the whole song and dance. Something’s missing though.”
“The dance is mind-blowing, I have to admit. But the vocals just weren’t as good enough.”
“Very powerful vocals, but not enough stage presence. I want to see all of you moving around the stage, interacting with the audience.”

In the end, the final groups were narrowed down to 2. These 2 teams were amazing, they had everything right. The choreography, the vocals, the rap, the stage presence, the teamwork and fighting spirit, the effort, the stage outfits and the flow. They were so close to perfection, that it seemed unreal. The judges wanted to pick both teams, but they couldn’t.

They could only debut one group. And this one group, would determine the future of K-pop.

“Wow, the competition is INTENSE! All of the groups did wonderfully!” Yoon Hee said as Cosy and Gyuri left the auditorium.
“Yes, I agree with you, Yoon Hee. I think the decision lies with both of our newest seniors now.” A mumble of replies rumbled. As Cosy and Gyuri returned to their seats, a man dressed in a white suit, came up to the stage and passed an envelope to the two MCs.

Everyone stared at the white envelope, which held the fate of the K-pop industry.

“Are you guys ready for this?” Yoon Hee looked at the 2 groups. Both of which were holding each of their member’s hands with their eyes closed, waiting for the results, and nodded.
“Alright then... And the group that will debut IS...”Cess said as YoonHee took her time to unfold the envelope.

“Team 2, Sun Ye, Hyuna, So Hee, Sun Mi, Ye Eun! Congratulations!” Cheers and screams erupted from the whole room as everyone clapped. The Wonder Girls were all crying with joy as they huddled together. Cosy and Gyuri watched as the original 5 members of Wonder Girls congratulated each other.
“So can we please invite our dearest CEO, Mr Park Jin Young onstage to say a few words and conclude our end of year event. Mr Park Jin Young, please.”

“My congrats to the girls. Just a few announcements before we start the buffet. It’s a bit sad for me to be the one announcing this but Rain will be leaving the company next year and starting his own company.”
“Rain has been a very inspirational singer and dancer and I hope that he will continue doing his best when he leaves. Rain, if there’s any problems, you can always come back to me.”
“And, just a line up for next year’s main highlights, the girls who won, you will get to debut and of course your seniors, Cosy and Gyuri will write the title song for you. Cosy and Gyuri, I expect something good. Cosy and Gyuri would also be forming a project group to promote in 2007.”

“There will also be another showcase at the end of next year so those who couldn’t debut this time round, do try harder the next time.”

The room clapped as JYP walked off the stage. JYP approached the two girls to brief them about the new group. The whole time, Cosy and Gyuri could feel the tension in the room and the death glares they were getting.

We are back!! You guys have been waiting for long right~~ HAHAHA! Honestly, things are gonna get complicated and it won’t be just comedy and laughter anymore. Since Cosy and Gyuri are getting more and more involved in changing the Kpop that we know now. But there will still be comedy here and there! :D
Annyeong all, sorry for the long wait D: I cannot believe how long ago this chapter was written ~ Anyways, like Cosy said, the story’s gonna get very much more heated up (: You’re gonna see how these two are affecting change in the Kpop industry, scandals are gonna happen, hearts are gonna be ripped apart, so brace yourself! & let’s welcome Yoon Hee & Cess to the story! ^^ These two characters will have their parts to play in the story, they belong to KyuMinnieParkJiSung & taeckhun_cess respectively ((: Comment & subscribe pleasee! ^^