I'm Not A Monster! ~A Daesung Love Story~ Chapter 9

I'm Not A Monster! ~A Daesung Love Story~

Chapter 9

“So he needs the poison and some sort of healing substance to be balanced…” I trailed off quickly looking outside to see if the lights came back on, but they were still off.

“I feel sorry for him, he needs it constantly.” Sarah pointed out.

“I think all of them have to have whatever they need constantly.” Alice whispered.

“Girls, I think I’m going to take a trip tomorrow. Anyone want to join?” I asked randomly.

“This isn’t about Daesung, is it?” Lucy asked me with questioning eyes.

I remained silent as Lucy quickly grabbed my arm really hard and looked at me with pleading eyes.

“I’m begging you, Kelly, please don’t go!” She cried.

“Lucy!” Alice yelled. “You can’t control what Kelly does, she makes her own choices.”

She let go of my arm and sat back against the couch and drank more of her hot chocolate. I looked around the room to see if anyone would join me, but it seemed like they were uninterested…or were they?

“I’m taking that as a no?” I asked frowning a little bit. And I was hoping that I wouldn’t go alone tomorrow.

“I have plans,” Heather shrugged in apology.

“And I’m pretty sure that we want to rest tomorrow.” Sarah added.

“Especially me! I’m going home!” Lucy said as she got up and started to walk out of the room.

“LUCY!” Heather called out for her to come back, but she was already out the door, leaving her hot chocolate on the coffee table. “Ah, well, look at the time; we should get going as well. And Kelly, I wouldn’t go there without backup.”

As the girls left my house, I cleaned up their cups as I took a quick glance at the clock. I sighed after seeing that it was almost midnight. Walking upstairs, I quickly looked outside one last time and saw that the lights outside were on! I gulped nervously as I ascended my way upstairs, gradually going into a run. As soon as I got to my room, I the lights. Slamming my door shut, I noticed that I was out of breath, not from the running, but from what I was seeing. First were the lights flickering when no one else saw it, then they were completely off for at least a good hour, to only come back on. Catching my breath, I got changed into my pjs and literally flopped down on my bed.

“How is this possible? I know I’m not just seeing things!” I whispered to myself.

The light above me shined down in my eyes as I slowly got dizzy from its brightness. Closing my eyes, my breathing became shallow as I went into a deep sleep.

I was walking down a sidewalk alone; it was night time as I passed the houses, lights shining through their windows illuminating a shadow on the grass. Just when I passed an apartment building, I slowly took my steps back and looked at it. Something about the structure of the building made me drawn to it, but why did it look so familiar? I walked up to the door, but I noticed that the door was already slightly ajar. Why was it open like this? Opening it up all the way, I peaked inside the building. On my right, there was only one room with six mailboxes hanging on the wall. In front of me were stairs leading up to more rooms, while another set of stairs leading downstairs; possibly the basement. Curiosity got the best of me as I made my way down. Light became dark as I made my way to a hallway, wires hanging everywhere from the ceiling. At the very end of the hallway, I saw a light coming from the wall, but as I got closer to it, I noticed that it wasn’t a wall at all, but another room! I stopped at the edge of the doorframe and peaked around the corner. Inside the room was a laboratory, shelves filled with bottles filled to the top with colorful liquids. A silver counter wrapped around the room, paper notes spread along the top. I widened my eyes as I knew where I was! But how is it possible? It burned down! My eyes widened in horror as I noticed on some of the bottles, it had the brother’s name on them. As I got closer to the bottles to see what the chemicals were, I heard footsteps behind me. I jumped around and saw a figure slumped against the doorframe, holding the sides for support.

“Kelly…” he moaned in pain.

He wore normal looking clothes; jeans and a t-shirt. His bleach blonde hair hung low over his eyes as I noticed bruises on his arms.

“D-Daesung!” I yelled running over to him. Daesung fell to the floor coughing like he was about to get sick. Falling in front of him, I put my hands on his shoulders trying to look at his arms. The bruises covered every inch of his arms, ugly black and blue marks. “What happened to you?!”

“Help…we need help.” He whispered.

“Help with what?! And where did you get these bruises?!” I asked hoping that he would look at me. But all he did was cough, but this time he coughed up what looked like blood and melted silver mixed together. The smell reeked of hot metal.

“Please, help us!” Daesung pleaded with his voice containing shakiness. “Get us out of here; they’re doing more than just exams on us. We need your help! Help us get out of this prison!”

“That would go against the law!” I pointed out.

“Please, Kelly,” he looked up, his yellow eyes starring intensely into my blue ones. “I need you!”

I gasped as I sat up in my bed, the sun blinding me from the windows. The birds were chirping away as I heard cars passing by. My heart was pounding against my chest as I noticed that I had goosebumps and a cold sweat. The light above me was still on as I heard a knock at my door, making me jump.

“Who could that be?” I asked as I straightened out my hair and went downstairs. The person kept knocking as I literally ran towards the door. I noticed that it was my neighbor, Cindy. Her eyes looked tired with bags underneath them and her hair was a mess. “Cindy, what are you-”

“Would you please keep quiet at night?” She asked folding her arms.

“I don’t understand, I didn’t make any noise.” I said confused at what she was talking about.

“Well, obviously you have! You kept my husband and me up all night last night. I know that we have separate houses, but I have never heard any loud noises from you until last night. Be a better neighbor.” She warned as she stormed off into her house. I stood in my doorway shocked at what just happened. Last time I had a dream with Daesung in it, I did the same thing. Taking a deep breath, I went back inside my house and planned to take my road trip. After getting ready, I grabbed my badge and phone and headed out to my car parked on the side of the road. Before I left, Lucy was calling me.

“Hey, Lucy.” I spoke first.

“Kelly, I’m sorry about last night. I just wanted to say that the way I acted wasn’t called for and I know that I should’ve kept calmer, but what happened was really scary and I was scared for all of us.” Lucy explained.

“Lucy, it’s ok! I know that you’re the youngest and those emotions would hit you the hardest. I understood why you were like that, too. And to be honest, what you told us did send a chill down my spine.” I told her.

“I’m glad that you aren’t mad at me! I just got done with Alice telling her the same thing, she accepted my apology, but she seemed a bit upset with me.” She said.

“You know how Alice can be, she’s the leader and she wants all of us to focus, not to be scared.” I explained.

“Well, I also want to tell you that I’m not quitting on this investigation. The next time we go to the prison, I’ll have Seungri explain why the death card. Just like Sarah said, everyone should have a chance to explain themselves.” Lucy sighed.

“Good,” I smiled as I looked at the time, “Well, Lucy, I’ll see you tomorrow. I have things to do.”

“Good luck with getting in,” Lucy said as she hung up.

I sighed as I put my phone up for my GPS. I typed in the address as I started off to the prison. Today was a warm, sunny day, and I hoped that nothing could ruin it. Although my dream last night was…terrifying. I didn’t realize how scary it was until now. It felt like I was actually in the dream and I could smell the blood and feel my hands on his shoulders. Daesung’s emotions sounded so real, it was like he was calling out to me. But how? I gripped the wheel as I tried to get the dream out of my head, but just like the last dream, it haunted my memory. The check station came closer as I got my badge ready to show the man. He came around to stop my car and came over to my window.

“Miss, I’m sorry, but you’re not allowed in. Ken didn’t make an appointment for you today.” He apologized.

“But I have to go in.” I looked at him seriously.

“I’m afraid that I can’t do that, Miss.” He repeated.

I took a deep sigh as I parked the car and got out making the man step back.

“As a detective on a case that connects to those boys, I demand to go inside.” I showed him my badge.

“Miss, get back in your car and-” but he got cut off as a guard from the gate, the same guard who led me to Daesung’s cell yesterday, yelled towards us.

“She’s allowed in.” he smiled.

The man looked at the guard, mouth hung open in shock as he looked down angrily at me.

“Fine, but after this, don’t come here unless you have an appointment.” He said as he went to the gate and opened it up for me. The guard opened up his arms to welcome me.

“I’m guessing that you came here for the boys?” he whispered.

“Yes, how did you know?” I asked as we made our way to the door.

“A little brother told me.” He answered as my eyes went wide, but I didn’t want to say anything. We were in the hallway making our way to the boys’ cells.

“How did you know about yesterday? Where I was going?” I asked again getting freaked out.

As soon as we came in the big room, the guard slid his card and typed in the password making the walls move revealing the cell rooms. As soon as they opened, the guard fell to the floor passed out. My heart sped up as the guard screamed and blue smoke came out of his body floating over to Seungri’s cell. What in the world did I just witness? My eyes followed to Seungri’s cell, but he wasn’t in there. None of the boys were. Great, what was I supposed to do now? If the boys weren’t in here, then the camera men weren’t watching this room. I bent down and saw a skeleton key hanging around the guard’s belt. I quickly grabbed it and headed towards Daesung’s cell.

“Please let this be the right key.” I whispered as I put the key into the door and once I heard the click, I smiled and opened up the door. The first thing that I noticed was a little white bottle on his desk with his name on it. Other than that, his cell looked the same. That mystery door was still there and I was very tempted to go check what was behind there, but I decided not to.

“You came,” A voice said from the doorway as I turned around to see Daesung standing there looking shocked, a tiny smile forming on his lips. I looked at his arms and torso to see if there were any bruises, but to my relief I didn’t see any.

“Of course I did,” I sighed in relief.

“Well, you shouldn’t have,” He glared at me as he came into his cell. “You’re not supposed to be here.”

“Look, I know that I shouldn’t be in your cell and I didn’t know that we were off-” but Daesung interrupted me.

“That’s not what I meant. You’re not supposed to be here, in the prison. If Ken ever found out that you’re here without his permission-” This time I interrupted him.

“He’s not here?” I asked in confusion.

“No, he left. He obviously didn’t tell us or anyone here where he went. All he said was that it was important.” Daesung sat on top of his bed. “So you still came here. Why?”

“Well, I wanted to know more.” I said sitting down on his bed next to him which made him flinch a bit.

“If it’s about him, forget it! You guys promised to save that for another day, remember?” He reminded me with a little edge in his voice.

“It’s not about him. I keep my promises, just like how I kept my promise for today.” I looked over at him and smiled. Daesung glanced at me and sighed, he looked like he wasn’t ready for whatever he had to say.

“What do you want to know?” He asked.

“Well,” I looked at the mystery door, “what is behind door number 2?”

“That’s forbidden.” He answered bluntly. “Each door in our cell leads to the same room. It’s for personal use for my brothers and I.”

“Like?” I tilted my head.

“You got to get your nose out of our stuff,” he glared.

“I already have gotten into your stuff,” I answered looking sad thinking of how mad he got when he first found out that I went through his stuff. “Speaking of stuff, what’s with the journal? Are you the only one who keeps one?”

“I wanted to record everything that happened to me during my transformation, I know that it might’ve sent some bad memories whenever I read it, but it’s the only form of memory that I could’ve saved from the fire.” Daesung explained.

“Oh, I see,” I nodded.

Daesung sighed as he got up and crossed his arms, his back facing me. His muscles tensed up as he felt my eyes on him. I was trying to see if there were any bruises, but again, there were none.

“Look, Kelly, I still don’t understand why you’re here. Seungri told me that we won’t be seeing you guys today.” He turned around and faced me. “Was I upset? Yeah, I was. But when I saw you here today, I was…” he trailed off as I saw his mouth quickly go into a smile, but then he frowned not wanting to say the last word. “Surprised. I was surprised.”

“Like I said, I kept my promise. Even though the chances of me getting in here were very little, I just had to know… I wanted to know more about your powers.” I confessed. Although I would like to know more about him, I had the feeling that it would involve the scientist.

“Powers? Is that how you look at them?” he asked leaning against the wall.

“Well, yeah, what else would they be?” I asked him back in confusion.

“Abilities, wonders, magic…nightmares.” He whispered the last word.

I frowned as I heard the word ‘nightmares’. The scientist did terrible things to these brothers, but I can’t lie when I say that what they can do is absolutely extraordinary. I looked over at the lamp sitting on his desk, the bulb was out, and so I got up and took it out of the socket. Daesung was studying me with questioning eyes wondering what in the world I was doing.

“You control light, right?” I asked bringing the bulb over to him in my hands.

“This isn’t going to be like a test, is it?” He sneered.

“No, this is simply curiosity.”  I answered as I handed him the light bulb. Daesung sighed as he took the bulb, his yellow eyes started to glow as the tattoos began to swirl onto his body, but very slowly and not as filled. This was the first time that I saw a yellow glow flow through his arms and go towards the bulb. It lit up in his hand as he kept his concentration steady.

“But how is this possible?” I asked in bewilderment. Daesung looked up at me with glaring eyes as the light went out and his tattoos and glowing eyes faded away, leaving only his yellow eyes to stand out in the darkness of the room.

“I can control light; wherever and whenever I please. But I can also produce light,” Daesung explained putting down the bulb. He brought his hand up, his eyes shining a bright yellow, his tattoos started to appear once more as his body started to glow like a nightlight. Holding out his arms, a yellow orb formed in his hands. I reached up and put my hand over it, feeling the warmth radiating from the orb. Daesung was watching me with intense eyes, studying my moves. As soon as I was about to touch it, Daesung threw the orb up in the air and once it hit the ceiling, it burst open spreading little yellow specs all over the room. We were surrounded by stars, moving slowly down to the ground.

“Amazing…” I whispered as I brought my hand up and caught one of the little orbs in my palm. But once it hit my skin, it faded until it was nothing. My face went into a frown as soon as it went away. “But you are also strong.”

“Not as strong as Taeyang, but yes, I am strong.” Daesung said. “Look, you should leave before Ken comes back.” Daesung went over to his cell door and opened it for me.

“But I just got here!” I tried to hide my whine.

“You have to; otherwise we’d both be in trouble.” He explained. “And don’t argue with me.”

I opened my mouth to say something, but he was serious. And I knew how his attitude was, so I wasn’t going to fight with him. I sighed as I went over to the door and stopped before I was completely out. Looking over at him, he looked mad, but at the same time there was this sadness.

“I’m sorry, I thought that you wanted me here after yesterday. Well it seems like I was wrong.” I whispered. Every time that I said that phrase to him, it didn’t seem like it was enough for him to accept it; like he needed to hear it a thousand times in a row to be satisfied.

“No, you’re wrong,” Daesung whispered as soon as I left the cell, making me stop and look back at him.

“About what?” I asked crossing my arms.

Daesung’s hand was still on the door and I saw him tense up as he closed his eyes shaking his head. I tilted his head in confusion about what he was thinking about.

“I…I did want you to come,” He confessed. “But it’s dangerous. You know, to come here alone.”

With that last sentence he said sounded like he was trying to cover something up. My mind immediately went to what Lucy found out. Death. My eyes went wide remembering the thought as a young voice came from Seungri’s cell.

“Daesung, that’s enough.” Seungri said leaning against the bars. For once, Seungri sounded…serious. “Kelly, you should go. We’re all back, so that means people will be watching us soon.”

I nodded as I heard Daesung’s door close behind me. Turning around, I locked Daesung’s door. Looking at Daesung with concerned eyes, he took a step forward and put his hand through the door. Confused at his gesture, I put my hand in his and he squeezed it gently.

“Thank you, Kelly,” Daesung smiled slightly.

Letting go of his hand, I sprinted to the exit, throwing the skeleton key near the passed out guard.

“And Kelly? Did you receive the message?” I heard Seungri ask…in my mind! I looked over at Seungri who had his arms crossed looking at me with his intense purple eyes. My heart was racing thinking of what he meant. Did he mean the dream? But that can’t be! Dreams can’t be controlled by someone else…can they? Daesung had his hands tightly around the bars as I exit the building…bad idea. Coming in through the gate was Ken. Once he saw me, his expression was confused and mad.

“Oh no…” I thought.

“Miss Kelly, what are you doing here?” He asked me.