The photo

Dark Ties

Dark Ties Chapter 16

 

Jessica P.O.V

Sitting in my car just outside the house, I stared up at the star filled night sky. What the hell was I doing here? The lights from the house glowed bright amiss the dark streets. My mind was a whirl. For the umpteen time that night, I asked myself the same question. What exactly am I doing here? Was it desperation? Or pure stupidity? Or maybe a slightest amount of hope?


My hands clenched tight over the leather seat of my car. It's been a week. Tiffany was no better than a walking zombie. The stubborn girl refuses to attend school or have any contact with her classmates. Her existence practically erased. Her face a blank, her eyes a dark empty hole. She's lost the will to live. The reason, I've yet to find out, her lips a tight seal. 


Somehow, a small part of my mind hoped that maybe, something from this terrible place might be able to bring back the Tiffany that once was. The girl that fought through hell and survived. I cursed myself once again as I stepped out of the car. Slipping on my sunglasses, a mere cover up, I took reluctant steps towards the door. This better be worth it.  


My high heels clinked against the cool hard pavement, my leather jeans tight and my studded jacket clutched tight against myself. My Swiss knife strapped at the ankle, the metal cool against my skin, simple protection. Let's hope that it wouldn't come to that. Standing before the front door, I took in a deep breath. Here goes. 


'Knock'. The soft shuffling of footsteps echoed behind the door. "Who is it?" I stiffened at the sound of her voice. Without waiting for an answer, the door creaked open. It took her a full second to recognise my face. She immediately moved to slam the door shut. 


Putting a foot in between the door and the frame, I placed a steady hand on the wooden door, holding it open. "I just need to retrieve Tiffany's stuff. Just let me in and I promise I won't cause any trouble," my face cold, my voice calm. They sent tiny shivers down her spine as my eyes bored right into hers. The door stayed in place for what seemed like forever before the woman finally relented, pulling the door open, just enough for me to squeeze through. 


The house looked as well kept as we left it. Nothing out of place. It was as if Tiffany never existed. I walked into the house, my heels kept on. Tiffany's father stood looming just before me. I didn't flinch, neither did I stop in my tracks, merely side stepping. The quick flash of anger and disappointment on his face was obvious. It was quickly doused with an expression of cool. 


I smirked. Clearly, this reaction wasn't what he hoped for. Ignoring both parties, I strode up the stairs, finally arriving before Tiffany's bedroom. Somehow, being here right in front of her room, it brought back a sense of doom. This place, meant for sanctuary, was no more than a prison. One she could never get out of. 


Until now. 


Placing a cool hand on the metal knob, I slowly turned it. The door creaked open, only to reveal a neat bed and spotless floors. The small table at the side was perfectly kept, the bookshelves with not one book out of place. On further inspection, the books were arranged in alphabetical order, very much like a library. As neat as Tiffany usually was, this was beyond normal. How much had the girl gone through to depend on something like this to distract herself? My hands clenched tight as I scanned the perimeter of her table. 


A lone picture frame sat at the edge of the table. What differed it from the rest of the room was its slightly dusty wooden frame. The edges cracked, the sides marred with marks, the transparent plastic that protected the photo was no longer there. The only one item that had escaped Tiffany's clean touch. When my eyes fell on the photo that lay within, I realised why. 


Three children lay in the grass, smiling brightly back at me. Their eyes a gorgeous half crescents, their lips curved up, their expressions pure bliss. The two children at the end, a boy and a girl, looped theirs arms protectively around the middle child. The youngest didn't look older then seven, the oldest a mere twelve. A picture of perfect harmony, contentment. The bottom of the frame was carved with these words. 


Leo, Stephanie, Michelle, forever together.


A silent promise that was never kept. Opening the back of the frame, I stared at the unruly handwritten words at the back. The black ink slightly faded, the handwriting unstable, the whites dotted with numerous yellow spots, defection that comes with age.  The words written by an innocent little girl. A girl long gone, faded away by the pain she suffered. 


A single tear rolled down my cheek as the three words stared back at me. 


I miss you.


My heart clenched as more tears threatened to overflow. My hands trembled as they held tight onto the frame. What did Tiffany ever do to deserve such pain? The indignant I felt towards her plight could barely be contained. She'll want his with her. They were her strength, courage and will. Funny how they seem so real although I've never met them. Quickly wiping away my tears, I walked out the door and down the stairs, the photo frame in hand. Both parents stood at the side, watching my every move. 


All would have gone quietly if it wasn't for that one sentence Mr Hwang said, just before I stepped out of the house. 


"She was never my child and I never loved her," a sentence that held such hate, was whispered beneath his breath, just loud enough for my ears to catch. Anger surged through my body. Within seconds, I was over him, my knife at his throat, my legs trapping him beneath me. The frame was on the ground, where I stood moments ago. 


My usual hazel eyes darkened in anger, turning a dark brown. The hand gripping the knife tightened as I brought it closer towards his throat, forcing him to tilt his head back. His wife stood by the side, not daring to move a muscle. 


"You don't deserve her, never did. And yes, you're right, she's not your child. Because an angel could never be a daughter to a monster. It's about status. She's up there in the stars and you're, just the dirt I step beneath my feet. And stepping on something like you is my misfortune," my lips whispered those words into his ears, feeling him tremble beneath me. My voice an icy cold. 


I drew my knife slowly across his throat, a thin line of red, thick, liquid flowed out. "Bear in mind that the only reason you're still alive is because of her mercy. If it was up to me, I would make you suffer so much, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference reality and death. You'll wish you were never born," a small sadistic smirk played on my lips as I released him. 


Picking up the photo frame, I left the house, walking into the cold dark night. I was just a metre from my car when the soft click of a gun echoed behind me. Soft, slow, footsteps followed. Stopping right in my tracks, I raised both hands up. 


"Who is it? What do you want?" my tone calm and collected. The knife stashed at my ankle felt compelling. This wasn't my first time being held at gun point. But it was rare for someone to be able to sneak up behind me. The cool metal at my ankle burned, asking to be used. 


"What are you doing here? Where is she?" The soft voice cold and monotonous, yet strangely familiar. The edge at the tip of her tongue sounded exactly like someone I knew. Someone I've came to love and eventually betrayed in my younger days. Someone I could never really forget. 


I didn't answer her questions, only slowly turning around. My arms weakened and dropped to my sides, the moment my eyes met hers. They never did changed. Her onyx orbs as beautiful as I remembered, her face chiseled to perfection, her brown locks flowed effortlessly pass her shoulders. The black tank top and jeans hugged her petite figure perfectly. Her hand, protected by a leather glove, held the gun steady, her eyes burned with slight anger, her lush lips tight. 


"I won't repeat myself again. Where is the girl? What have you done to her?" She spoke with a strange calm but the tightened grip on her gun betrayed her anger, the shifting of her eyes expressing her anxiety. But her face, oh her goddess like features, was emotionless, just like I remembered. 


"She's safe. I won't say anything more," I spoke, my voice soft. My surprise to see her here was fairly obvious. "This has nothing to with you. Leave me be," I added, to her irritation. Turning back towards my car, I unlocked the door with upmost certainty. My heart beating rapidly in my chest, hands sweating, revealing my fear, my emotions. It was a mind game we both played, one that neither won that day. 


Feelings made humans weak, emotions are our fatal flaw. 


The exact same quote we both grew up with. A quote that was carved into our very soul by the ones who brought us up, to be the women we now are. Cold, dangerous and influential. Knowing her, she wouldn't shoot me, not now, not when she needed to make sure Tiffany was safe. What is the relationship between her and Tiffany? What did Tiffany do to make her facade chip away? Why did she cared so much about her, that it made her fragile and so very vulnerable? 


If it was up to me, I'd say she's cracking. Slowly but surely, the marble pieces that hid the real her away was falling apart. All because of one girl. Is this what I'll become once I give in? Was this weakness? 


I shook my head clear. I've got to stop thinking so much. Starting the car, I heaved a sigh of relief. Thank The Lord, she still needed me alive. Just before I drove off, I took one last look at the lone silhouette that shone amiss the darkness around her. Her gun long lowered, resting relaxed in her hand by her side. 


We'll meet soon, Kim Taeyeon. 

 

A.N

I'm back! Sorry guys for the very very late update. Writer's block plus lots of extra projects have kept this story hanging. Major shocker there, Jessica knows Taeyeon! 

Hope you guys enjoyed the update! 

Upvote, subscribe and comment!