Stronger

Dark Ties

Dark Ties Chapter 15 


Jessica P.O.V


Switching from one school to another was nothing new to the 11 year old Jessica Jung. I walked though the foreign hall ways, trying to locate my classroom. My parents often shifted due to changes in the location of Jung Cooperation's headquarters. Other shady reasons included, though none was truly mentioned before me. 

 

But at the age of 11, I was brighter than what my parents deemed me to be. I knew what was happening behind the scenes, I just chose to stay silent. Observations are best made when suspicions are low. Who would expect a little 11 year old to know anything about stocks? Or even underground dealings if I must mention. I took after my Mother's looks but I inherited my Father's brains and everything that came with it. Cruelty, cunning and smarts. I had them all.

 

Finally arriving at my destination, I knocked on the door. The teacher looked up with a small smile and hurried me in.

 

"Good morning, I'm Jessica Jung," I said, my eyes meeting her warm ones. 

 

"The new transfer student right? You can proceed to any empty seat available," she nodded me off. 

 

I scanned the room for an empty seat. My eyes fell on one, right beside a raven haired girl. I walked right over, plopping down onto the seat. I turned to face the girl beside me, only to find her bending down over her books, her hair falling, covering her face. 

 

I was never one who initiates an introduction, but something about her reminded me of myself. I spent years as a child, studying each and everyone of my parents visitors, the way they walked, talked and most importantly, the way they expressed themselves, their various gestures and ticks people often overlooked. I could identify a person's true intentions within minutes of observing them. It was the way I survived in my own home. 

 

It was a habit I developed over the years. I could truly understand the phrase 'Don't trust strangers'. It applied to me everyday. People trying to exploit my father through me. I learned how to make my own judgments and enforced them as per my will.

 

"Don't trust anyone, even me. Because all humans were born with greed, hunger and selfishness, including me. That makes everyone your enemy. There are no true allies in this world. The closest thing you have is an agreement, nothing more. Remember this when you're tossed into my world in the future," these words were always at the edge of my Father's tongue. 

 

Words I came to understand at an early age. Through the many incidents I've witness under my very own roof. 

 

This girl was nothing new. She was as easy to read as any of those business men that came knocking on our door, in search of any profits my Father's company could provide. She was reserved and closed up. Her body tensed around the shoulders, her hair covering her eyes. From everyone and the world. Like she lived hiding a secret she could never tell. Her stillness said it all. 

 

I bent over and extended my hand. "Hi, my name's Jessica Jung. You are?" My voice velvety sweet, a small smile on my usually expressionless face.  

 

She didn't look up but extended a hand, shaking mine quickly. "Tiffany Hwang," precise and quick. It happened within seconds before she was back in her original position.  

 

"You know, I need someone to show me around here. Do you mind doing so?" I asked, the same tone in place. She still refused to raise her head. Only a soft mutter escaped her lips. 

 

"I'm not suitable. Find someone else,". A small smirk played on my lips. 

 

"I think you are. I'm not one who gives up easily. I'll see you after class, Tiffany Hwang," I said smoothly before turning to face the board, just in time to miss the look of surprise on Tiffany's face. 

 

"No one's ever this persistent," a soft whisper, one I caught nonetheless. I chuckled before replying.

 

"I'm not like the rest. Never was, never will be. Get used to it,". 

 

She did get used to it. I never stopped trying to get to know her, no matter how hard she pushed me away. We became the best of friends. She was like a younger sister to me just as I was an older sister to her. I never questioned her or pestered her to reveal anything. But some things could never be kept hidden for long.

 

Tiffany and I were eating out on the roof top when she bent down to pick up a piece of fallen tissue. Her skirt skimmed up a tad bit, revealing bruised skin on her thighs. They stood out in contrast to her usually milky white skin. Immediately putting a hand on her shoulders, worry filtered across my face.  

 

"Tiffany, what's this? When did you hurt yourself?" My voice concerned. A look of pure terror flashed across Tiffany's face as she hurriedly pulled down her skirt. Putting a hand over hers, I stopped her actions, before pulling up the skirt to once again observe the dark bruises. She pushed my hand away, brushing down her skirt once more.

 

"It's...n..nothing. Come on, let's eat," she quickly deviated from the topic. I wasn't one who forgets. This wasn't the first time I've noticed the numerous scars and bruises that decorated her body. But like always, I chose to remain silent. 

 

This time however, it's about time Tiffany confided in someone. Putting a gentle hand on her thighs, I gripped the skirt, slowly pulling it up. A hard hand came down upon mine, clenching it tight. I looked up into the pair of terrified eyes. Despair, fear and pain all thrown into those two orbs.

 

"Jessica, don't," her voice quiet, trembling just slightly, her lips quivering.

 

I stared back, my usual cold eyes exuding strength and comfort. I placed another hand over hers, slowly peeling them off. 

 

"Let me. It's time I know," my voice calm, a slight twinge of concern.

 

Tears threatened to over flow. A single drop rolled down her checks as she hesitantly nodded, her hand retreating. I pulled up the skirt, my thumb rolling softly over the bruises. Slight pressure upon the dark blue skin made her flinch, her face contorted in pain, a sight that quickly disappeared. 

 

"How?" My voice cracked, both in anger and worry. She kept mum, the tears flowing down steadily. I didn't push her, didn't pry further, only gently wiping those tears away. "I'm always here. Take your time," I whispered, pulling her into a tight embrace.

 

Her shoulders trembled as she sobbed, her tears damping my shirt. Her crying soon ceased, both of us still sharing each other's warmth. Her raspy voice broke the silence. 

 

"It's...my parents. The beatings were punishment," the words were short and to the point. My arms tightened around her. Of all the things I expected her to say, this was the least expected. 

 

Her own parents.

 

This was her big secret. She was being abused. Why, I couldn't bear to ask. I going to make this right Tiffany, for you. 

 

I didn't mutter a word. But in my head, I was already planning my next move. But never did I realise, that move, wasn't a sensible one. Looking back now, it was nothing but rash, blind rage. My actions broke us apart. 

 

The very next day, I informed the counsellor of Tiffany's sufferings. They paid a visit to Tiffany's home but never did find anything out of the ordinary. They brushed it aside, as a mere misunderstanding on my part. I was more than furious. But my anger quickly turned to terror and despair when my very own parents approached me about Tiffany. 

 

"Who's this Tiffany Hwang? Her parents just called the school to inform me, to ask you to leave their daughter alone. They say she's very traumatised by your accusations of her parents being abusers. Is this true Jessica?" My Father questioned, the gaze in his eyes unreadable, his face devoid of emotions. 

 

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. My legs shook, my head down. It wasn't the first time I heard this tone in my father's voice. It only happened once, when I unintentionally chased away one of his major sponsors with my dog. He sent me away to an isolated island for half a year before he would let me see him again. That incident made me wary of my every move. Until now. 

 

"Jessica, you're very much aware how much I treasure my reputation. I have a company to run. These kind of mistakes you make, might cause all my hard work to go down the drain. I can't let people wag their tongues on how the Jungs have a nutcrack for a daughter. All actions come with a price. And this, comes with a very hefty consequence," he got up from his seat. 

 

And with his back me, he said his final piece, one that made my heart fall right through a black hole in my chest and my mind to turn a complete blank. "Tomorrow, we're moving to the headquarters in Korea. Be ready. We're leaving at noon,". 

 

I stood there like a dumbbell, waiting for someone to jump out and maybe say, 'You just got pranked!'. It never happened. I collapsed into a heap in the middle of the living room. I just sat there, not knowing what to do. I refused to cry, my pride wouldn't let me. But the pain in my heart was more than enough to inform me of my loss. It was midnight when I made a sudden decision. One of pure rash and anger. 

 

I took a cab straight down to Tiffany's place. The anger and despair that engulfed my mind took me on a blinded rampage. I rushed to the door, just in time to hear a faint scream. Anxiousness overwhelmed my entire being. I kicked the door, hard enough to break the hinges. My strength never did fail to surprise me. 

 

A frail figure lay just beneath the staircase. Blood caked her skin, her eyes shut unconscious, her legs contorted in weird angles. I rushed forward, my hands lifting up her face. The usual bright glow that illuminated her skin was gone, replaced by a dusty pale shade of white. Two shadows loomed over me as I cradle her small head.

 

"Who the hell are you? And what the are you doing here?" A deep voice asked, his tone rough. 

 

I looked up to meet the two pair of cruel eyes, defiance eluding from my every being. "The name's Jessica Jung. And I'm here to bring Tiffany away," my voice although strong seemed so small and insignificant against these two heartless beings.

 

A snigger erupted from the woman's mouth while the man merely smirked. "You're that that told on us, aren't you. Well, we're apparently innocent and you can't do about it. You're just a kid," she sneered, an arrogant look on her face. 

 

It was then reality hit me. She's right, as much as I hated to admit it, she's right. I can't do anything about it. No one will believe a kid. I'm helpless. I'm no match against these monsters, at least not now. I'll never be heard unless I take a stand but that can't be possible, not without my Father's backing. I had to make a name for myself before I could stand up against them. 

 

"You better walk away and pretend nothing happened. Or Tiffany suffers at your decisions. See what your one action did? It caused her to suffer," The man's voice filled with pure arrogance. It's like nothing here, had anything to do with them. It was like Tiffany deserved everything they did to her.   

 

Looking back down at her pale face, a single tear escaped. It rolled down my checks, landing softly on Tiffany's face. I gently placed her head down onto the ground, careful not to aggravate her wounds. 

 

Getting up, I walked towards the opened door. But right before I left, I stopped right in my tracks and said to the couple one thing. "Remember me, my name, my face, my voice, for I'll be back for her. And when that happens, you'll wish you've never been born," my voice was a sheer icy cold. My hands clenched tight as I took heavy steps out of the door. 

 

My face was a shade of dark as I left the house.

 

I looked down at the sleeping beauty. Her soft breathing was the only sound that filled the room. I smiled before whispering, "You know, I became a different person that night. I became a part of the Jessica Jung I am today," I let out a small laugh, entwining both our hands together. 

 

"You have no idea how hard it was for me to leave you in that house that night. But I had no choice. I wasn't strong enough," I unconsciously squeezed her hand before quickly releasing it. 

 

"Sorry, didn't do that on purpose. You must think I'm crazy, talking to a sleeping person. Well, I always found it more assuring to confide with a person that wouldn't talk back or interrupt," I brushed a strand of hair off her face, gently her check. 

 

Tiffany's been recovering. Or so the Doctor said. I refused to answer any questions regarding how she had those injuries. It was how Tiffany would have wanted it. For the past three days now, she's been sleeping on and off only getting up for small meals and the bathroom. Worried as I was, there was nothing I could do. She suffered so much in her short span of life. A regular person would never be able to understand.

 

"But I've grown so much stronger now. Now it's your turn. Show them how strong you really are," I whispered as I bent down to place a chaste kiss on her forehead. 

 

"Wake up soon. Not from your sleep. From the life that is your nightmare," my last words to her before I left the room. 

 

A.N

 Hey guys I'm back after a long break! Very long chappie here on Jessica's and Tiffany's friendship. Hope you guys liked it!

Comment and Subscribe!

And last but not least, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!