Chapter VII

Scent of Cheese and Wine

CHAPTER VII

AUTHOR’S POV

“Hey what happened yesterday?” Lay asked with wide eyes examining her body making sure she wasn’t hurt anywhere. They were supposed to meet up to hangout but Mia was a no show and Lay was worried.

 

“Omo! I’m so sorry! Well something came up. I'll make it up to you today.” Mia apologized as she opened her locker.

 

“What happened?” Lay asked surprised as the worst case scenarios came through his mind which freaked him out.

 

“I made a new friend actually.” Mia smiled brightly at him as she grabbed a book out of her locker.

 

“Really? Who is he?” He asked as taking the book out of  her hand.

 

“Ehhhh. You don't have to that...” Mia pouted and closed her locker door. “But anyways, it’s Kai. He's super sweet.” Mia explained as a smile came onto her face as she thought of the memories of yesterday.

 

But Lay couldn't smile. He knew Kai’s type.

 

He had first-hand experience with the players ways. It enraged Lay knowing Kai was like that. Especially since he was not always like that.

 

“Kai is trouble and a play-” Lay was about to begin bit Mia cut him off.

 

“A player, yeah he told me. But he's only my friend. There's no romantic feelings.” Mia said to reassure Lay.

 

“Well, if you know about his dangers, I guess it’s okay. I don’t fully approve, but if you're happy I’m okay with it. Anyways, how is he as a friend? Does he treat you well?” Lay asked, trusting Mia's judgement.

 

“Well he's actually a really sweet guy. I felt happy being around him.” Mia smiled. "He's just so innocent and adorable!" Mia smiled.

 

“Well I hope he doesn't hurt you in the end.” Lay said and she nodded agreeing with his statement.

 

“I don’t think he will. He is way too adorable for his own good.” Mia said knowing the Kai she knew from yesterday. That Kai would never think of hurting her. She broke from her thoughts when Kai appeared in front of her with a big grin.

 

“Annyeong bestie!” Kai smiled brightly at Mia. Mia returned the bright smile back. Lay was just baffled at the others action. This was not the Kai he had known for a while.

 

“Hey Jongin.” Mia said and gave him a hug. Kai smiled brightly and hugged her back. Lay was speechless.

 

Kai was hugging a girl, and this girl he was not trying to get in her pants.

 

That was a first for Kai in a while.

 

This was the Kai, the same one, that had walked out of Lay’s life two years ago saying he was too quote on quote “lame”.  The one who had tormented him for the past two years. As well as his other friends, especially Kyungsoo.

 

Kai looked up and saw Lay staring at him oddly.

 

“Oh, hey.” Kai said rather coolly compared to his sweet act with Mia. Mia pouted and lightly hit his arm. Kai looked at her in shock and a bit of feigned pain which caused Mia just let out a huge sigh.

 

“Be nice Jongin. Lay is my friend too.” Mia said and Kai let out a sigh and looked back up at Lay. Eye to eye. The first time since their last fist fight a year ago. There was some unresolved issues between them. So they worked it out like how men do, punch each other. And that fight was never settled.

 

“Sup.” Kai smiled, but Lay saw through his fake smile. He was anything but thrilled to see him. Lay couldn’t say how mutal the feeling was.

 

“Hey Kkamjong.” Lay smirked at Kai as he watched as the other’s face goes pale. No one had called Kai that nickname in forever.

 

“Kkamjong? That’s cute.” Mia smiled an eye smile. Kai swore his heart rate increased by 100 beats per minute. “Seems like you’ve known each other for a while. Anyways, class starts soon. Thanks for carrying my books, but I got it Lay. See you guys later!” Mia gave a small smile to Lay then to Kai. She walked off to class after she grabbed her books from Lay. Both Lay and Kai watch her walk off and then Kai sent a sharp glare to Lay as soon as Mia was out of sight.

 

“Stay out of my relationship with Mia, Yixing.” Kai growled but Lay, the seemingly innocent unicorn just smirked at him.

“Why? She’s my best friend, first. Just like always. I'm always first Jongin.” Lay said with a sly smirk played on his face.

 

Kai's fist clenched together in anger. Lay was always first, he did not have to rub it in the others face, but he did. Lay always came first to Kai in rankings. Lay was best in dancing, Kai was second. Lay was smarter as Kai trailed behind being one rank below the other.

 

“She’s different, Yixing. She’s my friend too.” Kai growled but Lay just scoffed at the others threats. A puppy making threats was not scary at all. But on the flip side, neither was a unicorn making threats.

 

“Like I give a damn Jongin. I’m going to protect her, from people like you, and Luhan, and the rest of your kind.” Lay sternly made his point before walking to class.

 

~

 

After school finally rolled around and Mia was glad. She loved music and all, but she was in class and the Music Theory was slowly exploding inside her brain destroying all logic she had.

 

“Sup Mia.” Luhan said as he slung his arm around Mia’s shoulder as she walked down to her locker.

 

“Oh! Luhan! Nice to see you!” Mia said as she turned to smile at him. Luhan smiled back at her. He noticed her features, they were well defined. Her eyes sparkled like diamonds. He thought it was her best feature. But then again, her whole face was her best feature and maybe her entire existence.

 

“So, where are you heading off too?” Luhan asked and Mia just shrugged as she stopped when she arrived at her locker.

 

“Well, I was going to get food. I’m starving. Want to come?” Mia asked as she opened her locker and Luhan unhooked his arm from around her.

 

“Are you asking me on a date?” Luhan playfully smiled as he leaned against the locker next to hers as he observed her putting away her books.

 

“No. I’m inviting you out to go get food as two friends socialize and get to know each other better.” Mia literally explained and Luhan just chuckled. That was the basic meaning of a date in Luhan’s dictionary.

 

“Well, if you want to go on a socializing outing with just me, I’ll be happy to oblige.” Luhan smiled cheekily which caused Mia to roll her eyes as she closed her locker.

 

“Fine. I’ll just call up Kris, or Kai. Maybe even Lay! But if I went with Suho I’m sure he would pay for me. And if I went with Sehun he would ask me to pay for him...” Mia thought to herself out loud to tick of Luhan. She sent a quick glance over at Luhan who looked like he was going to punch the living daylight out of five people named: Kris, Kai, Lay, Suho and Sehun.

 

“I’ll pay for you.” Luhan sharply said as he slid his hand into Mia’s and dragged her out of school and into the parking lot and towards his car.

 

“You’re so funny Luhan.” Mia laughed once they arrived at his car and he opened the door for her like a gentleman. He rolled his eyes as he went to the drivers seat and they went to go to a cafe.

 

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~~☆~

 

They arrived at a small cafe. It was a modern cafe with a French influence. There was not many high schoolers there as it was mostly couples out on a date. As those two were the only ones on a socializing outing of two friends getting to know each other – that was not a date.

 

“Their food is delicious!” Mia chimed happily as she ate her Opera Cake. She took a piece on her fork and held it out in front of Luhan who was seated opposite of her. “Want some?” She asked tilting her head.

 

He looked at her then at the cake and took a bite of it as he stared at her directly in the eye. He ate the slice and his lips after.

 

“It’s good. Well it better be good because I paid for it.” Luhan said leaning his head on his hand which was propped up on the table.

 

“Of course it is Lulu Deer.” Mia smiled brightly and took another bite. He smiled.

 

They just shared an indirect kiss.

 

That made Luhan’s cold heart happy. Something, that had not happened in a while.

 

Wait... what did she just call him?

 

“What did you just call me?” Luhan asked finally processing what Mia said. He looked at her with his doe-like eyes curiously.

 

“Lulu Deer. Because you’re a deer. You’re eyes are like a deer. So Lulu Deer. I mean you could translate it as Lulu Dear, like an endearing name that you would call your lover. But I mean Lulu Deer.” Mia explained.

 

The only thing Luhan got out of that explanation was that Mia called him Lulu Dear. Not Lulu Deer.

 

“Fine, my Sweetheart.” Luhan smiled fully with his whole face. Mia’s eyes slightly widened as her face became a deep red.

 

Luhan just called her sweetheart. Oh my god.

 

“Luhan?” A voice asked disturbing Luhan and Mia’s social outing of getting to know each other.  Luhan looked up and saw Xiumin in the workers outfit. Well that was the reason why Luhan picked this cafe. Of course he had to support the cafe his friend worked at.

 

“Oh hey man.” Luhan smiled and Xiumin looked at Mia who was staring at him with curious eyes.

 

“Chubby cheeks!” Mia smiled brightly at Xiumin. He was quite taken aback by her nickname for him. “Looks like a pair of steamed buns.” Mia chuckled.

 

“That’s actually my nickname, Baozi...” Xiumin informed Mia who was shocked. She was nailing this nickname stuff.

 

“I like that nickname. Steamed buns are delicious!” Mia brightly said. Xiumin chuckled seeing Mia’s bright personality.

 

Xiumin was Luhan’s friend for a long time, and he knew Mia was a breath of fresh air for the player. He hoped one day Luhan would put away the ways of a player behind one day. Xiumin was no player. He was just waiting for that special girl he would coincidentally meet inside a cafe.

 

Hey, a guy can dream.

 

Xiumin did not approve of his friends ways, but he knew the person deep down was still a good person so he stuck around. Plus, he could not just abandoned his friends because of their ideals. Then he would have no friends.

 

“So you work at this cafe?” Mia asked and Xiumin nodded. “I guess that’s why Luhan wanted to come here for our social outing of getting to know each other better. You know, this guy. He practically kidnapped me because I was going to go eat with someone else. Apparently he doesn’t know the meaning of I have other friends too.” Mia said and Luhan sat there innocently. Well playing innocent boy.

 

“He’s quite possessive you know.” Xiumin told Mia. “Can’t take any of his things. I can’t borrow his game consoles, his books , and I can’t even sit on his bed.”

 

“Seriously?” Mia bursted out laughing. That was kind of funny to her. Why she found it funny, she had no clue.

 

“Yahhh...stop laughing...” Luhan pouted as he gently shook Mia’s arm. He seriously looked embarrassed.

 

That was a first for Xiumin that he had seen his friend actually have legitimate feelings while with the opposite .

 

“I’m sorry. I think that’s kind of cute you know? It’s nice to know you think I’m special.” Mia said with a bright smile which caused Luhan’s heart to accelerate and a slight redness in his ears. Mia did not see the change of color on his ears but his friend did. Xiumin had a content smile on his face.

 

“Well, I think I’m going to get back to work. Enjoy your socializing outing as you two get to know each other better.” Xiumin bowed and sent a wink to Luhan. Luhan knew what that wink was.

 

It was part of their bro code all of his friends made up.

It meant good luck and win her heart.

Luhan bit his bottom lip and nodded.

He was going to just that.

Win her heart.

 


 all 12 boys used to be friends. I wonder what happened? 

sorry been busy with college! I'll try update after midterms are done! 

Listen to Woohyun and my Hubby's new song! Delicous! --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdrz_e2mbtE

Kay bye lovies~! <3~ Jamie (: