Chapter 3

Be Mine: Just Stay By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyewon’s POV

         I reached the backyard of the university. I lay down on the floor and opened Dandelions of the Imjin River. I started to read but wasn’t really focusing on it. It overwhelmed me the fact that Seungho could find me at anytime and take me with him because I won’t be able to even refuse. I closed the book and went to the library again to put them both back. I thought that if I was going to home it would be easier to resist because Seungho wouldn’t go there to find me.

 

         I finally decided to go home to clear my mind.

 

         As I walked, I could only think of Seungho. He was a little less than a half of my daily thoughts. Moreover, what occupied my mind were thoughts about how to overcome my addiction and how to help Seungho to overcome his. He was completely lost, and the worst thing was that he had no intentions of changing. He was happy and compliant with his situation. I was at least trying to quit it.

 

         As I thought on all that, suddenly the guy from the gas station of the day before sneaked into my thoughts. I started to wonder who he could be and if perhaps he also would have problems like me. Then, as an arrow piercing my heart, I remembered the car he was driving when he entered the station (which was very luxurious), so I thought that a person like him couldn’t have the kind of problems that I had. Surely his life wouldn’t have even real problems. He was that kind of people who spent their lives spending money and their biggest problem would be anything much important. It was a waste to occupy my mind thinking about someone like him when I should be focusing on how to help Seungho, who had real problems.

 

 

Woohyun’s POV

         When I was going towards the front door, nana came to me.

 

         “Woohyun-sama, aren’t you going to eat anything?” She asked, not losing her warmness but at that moment, I was too pissed off to be kind.

         “Ah, no, I'm going now.” I said, quite firmly as I opened the door.

         “Oh, okay... Come back soon!” A slight disappointment could be heard in her voice but I didn’t mind.

         “Sure.”

 

         There are some people who lose the appetite when they’re upset, sad, angry or in any bad emotion. I wasn’t at all like that; I actually was quite the opposite. The more annoyed I was, the more appetite I had. And that was one of those moments. I was starving.

 

         I went to a mini-market which was near my parents’ house to buy some things to cook at home. Cooking was my favorite thing to do. When I cook, I could forget everything that bothered me. It was like releasing all my anger in the food. And funny, the angrier I was, the better I did food.

 

 

Hyewon’s POV

         My stomach began to roar as I walked. I hadn’t eaten anything in the whole day and I couldn’t really remember when the last time I ate was. When I started to look around to find any convenience store, I realized that the place where I was walking wasn’t any familiar for me so I started to look at the buildings, houses and streets where I passed so I’ll be able to recognize something. Everything was very luxurious and I had never gone through a neighborhood like it. I didn’t even know how I reached that neighborhood. Suddenly, I saw a mini-market a few blocks away. I rushed my step because I was very hungry and wanted to buy something to eat at home.

 

         When I arrived, the first thing I did was look at the prices of the groceries there. Everything was very expensive due to the location in which the minimarket was located. I didn't have much money so I should be careful.

 

         While I was choosing what I would buy, it happened something that I never thought could happen. The guy from the gas station from the day before just entered to the place where I was. I was sure that it was him not because I remembered his face, but because the so overbearing and arrogant way that he walked had no equal. It wasn’t strange that he would live near the minimarket because the neighborhood was quite elegant. It had big houses, wide streets and very beautiful buildings. I figured that he wouldn’t remember me since it was very dark when we met and our meeting wasn’t very transcendental. There was no reason to expect any reaction on his behalf.

 

         The guy took everything I would have wanted to buy but due to my lack of money, it was impossible from me to do so. He chose what to buy quickly and headed to the box to pay. I rushed in choosing what to buy because (without any reason) I was oddly interested in him.

 

         I stood behind him in the row and there seemed to be a problem with his credit cards. By what I heard, they had no funds. He looked pretty stressed out with the situation. I laughed in my head about it. It seemed very funny that a person like him had that kind of problems. Suddenly, I remembered the car that had entered the station last night. I watched as instinctively to the parking lot which was seen through the transparent windows and doors, looking for his car, but it wasn’t there.

 

         He must have another one, I thought, as I wondered which one of the rest not less luxurious cars parked there was his.

 

         The problem with his cards persisted and as his stress was apparently increasing, along my laugh inside. I was sure that he hadn’t noticed my presence until he looked behind, staring at my eyes, and by the look of his eyes, I noticed that he recognized me. I rolled my eyes as a reflection while he continued staring at me.

 

         “Excuse me.” He said quite trembling before he cleared his throat. “Do you have phone?” He asked, out of nowhere. ‘Do you have a phone?’ What kind of question was that? Was he interested in me? Did he want my number? I bet he didn’t.

         “Oh?” I couldn't hide the surprise. I blinked rapidly as I processed the thing in my mind. “Oh, yes.” I tried to be polite and not look too surprised.

         His face looked a bit stress-less but it seemed quite faked for me. “Would you lend it to me? I need to make a call.”

 

         Perhaps if he had asked me for a call from the beginning, I wouldn’t think that he wanted my number. What a silly. There wasn’t any guy like him that would want the number from a girl like me. I self-palmed in my mind.

 

         “Oh, sure. Here.” I said, handing him my phone as I tried to look normal. I was quite annoyed, not by the favor he asked from me but how silly I was being at that time. He took the phone and dialed a number by heart.

         “Eomma? I'm in the minimarket and my cards have no funds, can you explain me what’s happening?... What? Why you didn’t tell me it before? I can’t believe you’re really by abeoji’s side.”

 

         That was all his conversation. He gave me back the phone, almost throwing it at me, without even thanking my kindness.

 

 

Woohyun’s POV

         I arrived at the mini-market and took the things I needed. I went to the box quickly since I wanted to go home as soon as possible because I was very angry and wanted just to eat anything. When I gave my card to the cashier to pay, it seemed that the card had no funds.

 

         “Sir, something must be wrong. Yesterday I did a purchase with it and there was no problem. Try it again, please.” I said, trying not to treat him rudely. Everything lately was too damn annoying that I felt like having a heart attack soon. “Then try with this.” I handed him all my five cards and repeated those four words but there was no response, none of them worked.

 

         After a few minutes, I saw a girl who seemed somehow familiar to me behind me in the row. She looked at me from time to time and smiled to herself. She made it clear that we had met each other sometime before but I couldn’t recall her. I thought it wouldn’t be really necessary to be sure if we have seen each other before or not because the girl seemed to have recognized me from somewhere even if I hadn’t done so yet.

 

         I needed to call my mother and the girl behind me was the only person who could help me, even when I didn’t like to ask strangers anything but I needed to talk mom. So I decided to ask her to lend me her phone. She handed it to me gladly (or whatever, I wasn’t really paying attention to her expression) and I dialed mum’s number.

 

         “Hello?”

         “Eomma? I’m in the mini market trying to buy something, but it seems my cards don’t have funds. Can you explain me what’s happening?” I reproached her, not happy at all. I couldn’t even call my mom because my phone was broken. I cursed endlessly in my mind for throwing it off.

         “Aigoo, Woohyun-ah, appa has canceled all your credit cards, your phone number and your clothes and accessories purchasing cards.” There wasn’t even a glimpse of regret in her voice. She even seemed to be enjoying this entire situation!

         “What?!” I knew I had screamed quite loud but I couldn’t care less. My whole world was coming down just by my father’s whims. “Why you didn’t do something? Why you didn’t tell me? I can't believe that you're making me this; you’re really on the abeoji’s side! Will you just let him do all this to me? I can’t believe this. I’m hanging up.” I wasn’t going to keep talking to a traitor like her. She was being too much.

         “Woohy...”

 

         I hung the call full of fury and shame; fury because all these couldn’t be happening to me and shame because how the hell would I pay all this? I was purchasing more than $80.000 and I just had $5.000 in effective. I gave back the phone to the girl thinking about what I would do then. I was about to pay but my cards hadn’t funds and I hadn’t anything useful in my pockets or wallet. That was the biggest embarrassment that had ever happened in my life.

 

         “Nam Woohyun-ssi?” The cashier asked, staring straight to me.

 

 

Hyewon’s POV

         The guy was pretty desperate and much more after talking with his mother. I wanted to help him, but I didn't know how. I didn't have much money but I thought that I could do something for him.

 

         “Excuse me... do you need something? Is there anything I can do for you?” I told him knowing that a person like me couldn’t do so much for someone like him. I wanted to help him for some strange reason; I think it was just to feel that I could do something good for someone.

         “No.” He said rather harshly without even looking at me. But I wasn’t giving up.

         “Are you sure? Because I do believe that you need some help.” I said, trying not to scoff. At the end, the one who needed help at least at that very time was him and not me.

         “Fine.” He said a little forced, turning to me. “What can you do for me?” His voice was deep, deeper that last night. His eyes were dark but I couldn’t define if they were really black because he was in the backlighting. His nose was sharp and his lips were thick. He wasn’t that much taller than me but still enough for me to look up at him. He was undeniable attractive, but not really my style.

         “What do you need?” I replied, sounding more confident than I really was.

         “Can you pay these?” He said pointing at the things he had on the board.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter