Heart on Fire

World of Color

A/N: Listen :) Be sure to turn on captions if you want to read the English lyrics later

Don’t kill me for the ending to this chapter

———————————————————————————-

 

As weeks passed, you started to really fall for Taewoo. He did little things that you never noticed before. You were comfortable with him and he made you happy. You weren’t as in love with Taewoo as you had been with Him, but maybe that’s why people say you never really forget your first love.

You thought you were starting to get over Him though. You didn’t feel trapped by his memory anymore. You could see and do things you had avoided after he left. Taewoo didn’t have to be around for you to listen to music anymore. Your heart would still be heavy every now and then, but Taewoo understood. He never pushed you to get over Him faster than you were capable of. You liked that about Taewoo. He helped, but never pushed.

The two of you were home one Saturday afternoon on the couch. You were watching a music festival. Because of your break from music, you missed a few new really good songs. Taewoo didn’t actually care about watching it, so he was laying down with his head in your lap. You ran your fingers through his hair while watching the performances. He commented on a song occasionally, but for the most part he was quiet. You looked down from the screen at Taewoo’s face. His eyes were closed and there was a little smile on his face as you played with his hair. You had to admit, he was very handsome.

Suddenly, a voice pulled you from your thoughts.

Your eyes snapped up to the screen to see His face. His group was performing. You may have started listening to music and watching shows again, but you still avoided Him. As you watched, your heart started to ache. You kept your poker face on, but your heart hurt at the sight of Him. Your fingers stopped and Taewoo opened his eyes. He saw your face and looked to the screen. He sat up and immediately reached for the remote.

“Don’t.” You said it quietly, but Taewoo stopped. He looked up at your face, trying to read through your mask. You weren’t staring at His face anymore. The camera had zoomed in for a close up and He was holding the mic with his left hand as he sang. You saw something that caused more confusion in you than you had felt since the day he left.

Catching the light of the sun and glimmering, was his couple ring, still on his finger.

You would recognize it anywhere, especially since you had the matching one in your jewelry box. You didn’t know what to do. Did He always wear it? Or had it just looked good with the outfit so He put it on? Your mind was reeling. You jumped off the couch and went into your bedroom to get on your laptop.

“Jagi, are you okay?” Taewoo called after you. You didn’t want him watching you since you weren’t sure how you would react.

“I’m fine, I just need a moment to myself Oppa.” You heard him sigh a bit and agree, settling back on the couch.

You pulled up a browser page and searched His name. You found pages and pages of pictures that had been taken over the past several months. You looked at all of them. In the ones that you could see His left hand in, you scanned for it. And you found it. He had his ring on in every single one.

Your brain was going crazy. Why would He still wear it? He said that he wasn’t in love with you anymore. He said he didn’t want to be with you. If that was true, why would he still wear the ring? Sure, it was pretty, but it wasn’t that pretty. There was only one conclusion that you could come to. He lied. But why?

———————————-

This thought stayed with you for the next few days. You couldn’t figure out why He had lied to you. If He was still in love with you, why would He break up with you like that? Had something happened with the fans? Was there something you didn’t know about? There had to be.

You found yourself not caring anymore. It didn’t matter why He did it. But you had to see Him. You knew Taewoo would never agree to it, so you would have to meet Him without Taewoo knowing.

———————————-

That weekend you and Taewoo were at your apartment grading papers. You still needed to see Him. So you told Taewoo you were going out to get coffee and some food. He offered to go with you, but you insisted that he should just keep working, you would be back soon. You left the apartment and prayed that He would be at his dorm. You didn’t know His schedule and you weren’t sure how many chances you would have at this.

You got to the door and stared it for a moment. You reached into your pocket and wrapped your hand around your couple ring. It was the first time you had taken it out of the box since that day so many months ago. But you felt you had to have it with you. You let go of it, pulled your hand out of your pocket and knocked on the door.